Does anyone know how I can...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone know how I can...?

Ok so here's the scoop. I got a letter in the mail from some outfit in California, Payne Richards and Assoc. The letter said I had unclaimed shares from Fidelity Destiny worth almost $700. So I went to https://www.unclaimed.org/ which took me to the State of Texas Comptrollers Website. I found that there was indeed unclaimed property for me. I printed off the forms to claim the shares but I hit a snag...the address they have listed for me is an all bills paid apartment my wife and I moved into 25+ years ago. And they want proof that I lived there. The form says "Documentation from your own files proving that the reported Property Owner lived at the reported property address." We only lived there 6 months and then moved to another town and into the house we live in today. It was over 25 years ago and since it was all bills paid, there's no utility company I can call to see if they can verify. I haven't called the apartment complex yet, but I will be shocked if they have records that far back. I pulled a free credit report from Credit Karma but it didn't list that address as a reported address. I probably didn't borrow any money during that time either...I took a quick look through some of my records and didn't find anything close. Anyone have a good idea on how I could prove my address to claim the property?
    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
    Ok so here's the scoop. I got a letter in the mail from some outfit in California, Payne Richards and Assoc. The letter said I had unclaimed shares from Fidelity Destiny worth almost $700. So I went to https://www.unclaimed.org/ which took me to the State of Texas Comptrollers Website. I found that there was indeed unclaimed property for me. I printed off the forms to claim the shares but I hit a snag...the address they have listed for me is an all bills paid apartment my wife and I moved into 25+ years ago. And they want proof that I lived there. The form says "Documentation from your own files proving that the reported Property Owner lived at the reported property address." We only lived there 6 months and then moved to another town and into the house we live in today. It was over 25 years ago and since it was all bills paid, there's no utility company I can call to see if they can verify. I haven't called the apartment complex yet, but I will be shocked if they have records that far back. I pulled a free credit report from Credit Karma but it didn't list that address as a reported address. I probably didn't borrow any money during that time either...I took a quick look through some of my records and didn't find anything close. Anyone have a good idea on how I could prove my address to claim the property?

you didn't have any personal bills or magazine subscriptions? telephone in your name?

Comment

Tax records?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Have you checked with your bank? Or the DMV? Either of those should have address records, but I don't know if they go back 25 years.
        I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Telephone directory? Check the local library.
          When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            you didn't have any personal bills or magazine subscriptions? telephone in your name?
            No we were dead broke. There was a pay phone literally right outside our apt. We didn't have any money for magazines or a phone.
            "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
              Have you checked with your bank? Or the DMV? Either of those should have address records, but I don't know if they go back 25 years.
              I'm not sure what bank I was using...and I'm not sure they're still in business. DPS (Texas DMV) might have a record, but I'm not sure they go back 25 years. Worth a shot I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
                Telephone directory? Check the local library.
                I'm not sure that would qualify.

Comment

I'm not sure what bank I was using...and I'm not sure they're still in business. DPS (Texas DMV) might have a record, but I'm not sure they go back 25 years. Worth a shot I guess.
                  Yeah. This far out, I wouldn't count on much. At least it's not a ton of money.
                  I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Did you happen to renew a vehicle registration during that time?
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      Did you happen to renew a vehicle registration during that time?
                      I don't know....I guess there's a chance I did. Do they have records that go back that far? Because, I wouldn't have a record of it here.

Comment

I don't know....I guess there's a chance I did. Do they have records that go back that far? Because, I wouldn't have a record of it here.
                        I'll bet it'd be archived, and they wouldn't retrieve it without a really good reason. Or, maybe charge you more than the "winnings". Sorry.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

No we were dead broke. There was a pay phone literally right outside our apt. We didn't have any money for magazines or a phone.
                          Is the apartment complex still standing? If so, they are required to keep all tenant records. Contact their main office and ask if they can locate your lease in their records from that time.
                          That's what
                          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                            Is the apartment complex still standing? If so, they are required to keep all tenant records. Contact their main office and ask if they can locate your lease in their records from that time.
                            of course if this is a payout for a class action suit against the apartment complex, then the apartment complex might not be cooperative.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                              Forever? Really? I'll call them and check! The apt. complex may have changed hands...don't know until I ask I guess.

Comment