Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

photons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• photons

1. Why do photons move at all?
    2. Why do they move at the speed they do instead of other speeds?
    3. How do they move? what force propels them?

Good questions. I don't know the answer to any of them.
    3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures --1 Corinthians 15:3-4 (borrowed with gratitude from 37818's sig)

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      1. They are restless.
      2. Just like kids they go as fast as they can.
      3. The restlessness that motivates them in the first place. When they stop moving they go to sleep and become dark matter.

And like LostSheep I got no idea.
      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
        1. They are restless.
        2. Just like kids they go as fast as they can.
        3. The restlessness that motivates them in the first place. When they stop moving they go to sleep and become dark matter.
        You might as well have been describing Chuck Norris there.

We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore on Christ's behalf: 'Be reconciled to God!!'
        - 2 Corinthians 5:20.
        In deviantArt: ll-bisto-ll.deviantart.com
        Christian art and more: Christians.deviantart.com

Comment

A photon walks into a hotel. The desk clerk says, "Welcome to our hotel. Can we help you with your luggage?" The photon replies, "No thanks, I'm traveling light."

00000000000sprkdr.gif

I don't often have a chance to tell that joke so I make the best of it when an opportunity presents itself.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Why things are they way they are in nature are not questions science answers. These are philosophical considerations. The closest science can come is that the symmetry of the laws of nature of our universe explains the properties of the photon. Science is 'descriptive' and does not determine things.

The photon is the smallest basic unit of electromagnetism determined in Physics. The speed and nature of photons exhibit the symmetry of the relationship of energy and matter.

3. How do they move?
            Good question, the photon exhibits dual properties of wave and article from the perspective of the observer. Though the photon's wave and quanta properties are two observable aspects of a single phenomenon, but the photon cannot be spatially localized, though some physical properties have been determine.

what force propels them?
            The word propel is a rather awkward one.

Whatever energy is generated, it in most cases causes the light. For example the thermonuclear activity of the sun, which propels the light that illumines our solar system. You light a fire and burn wood, you generate heat and yes propel light, or maybe set off a nuclear bomb you generate a vast amount of energy, heat, and light; E=mc2.
            Last edited by shunyadragon; 04-23-2017, 06:10 PM.
            Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
            Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
            But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Photon of zero frequency is either a static electric field or a static magnetic field. How fast does the field of a magnet propagate? The speed of light. Light is an electromagnetic wave. Where the electric field and the magnetic field exist/move/change 90 degrees to each other.[<My source? High School physics.]

If the wave energy is high enough and is slowed by the presence of other matter the photon can become an electron and positron[anti-electron] pair.

My question - what is the speed of the lines of force? c*sqr(PI^2+1) or c*sqr(PI^2/4 + 1)? Or some other value.
              Last edited by 37818; 04-23-2017, 07:18 PM.
              . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Ha. If you'll remember, the crackpot theory that I proposed includes the idea that photons do not actually travel through space. There is instead simply a transfer of energy from one particle to another. For us, there is a perceived time delay based on the distance between the particles. However, from the viewpoint of the energy itself (the photon), there is no time delay at all, and no distance; the transfer is instantaneous.

So, under my crackpot theory it then becomes a question of why objects with mass see a distance between particles and a time delay for the energy transfer. Keep in mind that this distance between the particles becomes shorter and shorter the closer you travel to the speed of light relative to the particles.
                Middle-of-the-road swing voter. Feel free to sway my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                  Photon of zero frequency is either a static electric field or a static magnetic field. How fast does the field of a magnet propagate? The speed of light. Light is an electromagnetic wave. Where the electric field and the magnetic fields move 90 degrees to each other.[<My source? High School physics.]

If the wave energy is high enough and is slowed by the presence of other matter the photon can become an electron and positron[anti-electron] pair.

My question - what is the speed of the lines of force? c*sqr(PI^2+1) or c*sqr(PI^2/4 + 1)? Or some other value.
                  Let's start with this problem:
                  Bold: I do not think this gibberish is from high school physics. Please cite a specific reference to support this.

You are proposing a photon of zero frequency. How bizzaro, and not high school physics. I propose that the lowest possible quantum transition is ~ 0.1 eV, say 25THz.
                  But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                    Let's start with this problem:
                    Bold: I do not think this gibberish is from high school physics. Please cite a specific reference to support this.
                    No. You can believe what you want.
                    You are proposing a photon of zero frequency. How bizzaro, and not high school physics. I propose that the lowest possible quantum transition is ~ 0.1 eV, say 25THz.
                    A photon is made up of changing electric and magnetic fields. You do not believe that. That is not my problem.
                    . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

The common view of photon of electromagnetic propagation.

Comment

No. You can believe what you want.

A photon is made up of changing electric and magnetic fields. You do not believe that. That is not my problem.
                        Gibberish. please provide legitimate citations. The question presented you failed to answer is: You are proposing a photon of zero frequency. How bizzaro, and not high school physics. Please provide a legitimate reference for this bogus claim.

Frank

Comment

The common view of photon of electromagnetic propagation.

This reference does not support your bogus assertion. References please.

Frank

Comment

Great question Sparko.
                            Light is a wave, it moves because it is a wave. Waves do not accelerate (even water waves do not accelerate). Electrons produced by Neutron decay also are waves and therefore adopt some non-zero speed the instant they are created, without being accelerated.
                            “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                            “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                            “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                              Why things are they way they are in nature are not questions science answers. These are philosophical considerations. The closest science can come is that the symmetry of the laws of nature of our universe explains the properties of the photon. Science is 'descriptive' and does not determine things.

The photon is the smallest basic unit of electromagnetism determined in Physics. The speed and nature of photons exhibit the symmetry of the relationship of energy and matter.

Good question, the photon exhibits dual properties of wave and article from the perspective of the observer. Though the photon's wave and quanta properties are two observable aspects of a single phenomenon, but the photon cannot be spatially localized, though some physical properties have been determine.

The word propel is a rather awkward one.

Whatever energy is generated, it in most cases causes the light. For example the thermonuclear activity of the sun, which propels the light that illumines our solar system. You light a fire and burn wood, you generate heat and yes propel light, or maybe set off a nuclear bomb you generate a vast amount of energy, heat, and light; E=mc2.
                              Go away Frank. I don't want your input.

Comment