Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Life in Prison For Child Molesters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life in Prison For Child Molesters?

I don't know if it just being reported more but cases of child molesting seem to be on the rise. We just had a couple of high profile cases in my state which included trafficking children for the sex trade. I mean if we can't execute them (which I would not have a problem with) then why not life without parole - after all there doesn't seem to be a cure. Perhaps castration - I mean physical/surgical castration.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

That's very intolerant of you.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

A few things:

I think certain sex laws in America are ridiculous and out of control. One couple became registered sex offenders because they got caught having sex on the beach on their vacation. While they should be fined and penalized, making them sex offender status for life was too harsh. I think that there should be more defined calibers of punishments, with sex offender list only being applied to rapists, child molesters, etc. With that said...

We just had a couple of high profile cases in my state which included trafficking children for the sex trade.
      I agree that people who are actively in sex trafficking should be jailed for life. At that point, it's pretty obvious that person is extremely deliberate about their perversions and will never stop.

after all there doesn't seem to be a cure. Perhaps castration - I mean physical/surgical castration.
      It's still possible for a man to commit rape after a castration. It doesn't completely deplete testosterone out of the body. I don't really see this as a solution.
      "Concentrate on what you have to do. Fix your eyes on it. Remind yourself that your task is to be a good human being; remind yourself what nature demands of people. Then do it, without hesitation, and speak the truth as you see it. But with kindness. With humility. Without hypocrisy."
      -Marcus Aurelius

Comment

Originally posted by T-Shirt Ninja View Post

It's still possible for a man to commit rape after a castration. It doesn't completely deplete testosterone out of the body. I don't really see this as a solution.
        Then life in prison.
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by T-Shirt Ninja View Post
          That also makes the assumption that people commit rape because of sexual desire. That might be part of it, but not always. Sometimes it's just about exerting control over another person, or just plain sadism.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

The most effective treatment is chemical castration because they are required to participate in a program of therapy and psychiatry. However some serial molesters get life in prison via 86 years or multiple sentences served consecutively.
            A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
            George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Physical castration without medical necessity would be immoral. More so if it was meant as a punishment. However, Denmark does offer people who have committed pedophilic crimes the offer of chemical castration via various testosterone blockers, which have the intended effect. The offer is on a complete volunteer basis, and a majority of them willingly take it. This significantly reduces any sexual urges, and the success rate it quite high.

I'm not sure what life imprisonment would do, and in the absence of good evidence to suggest that it would lower the crime rate, I'm against it.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post

I'm not sure what life imprisonment would do, and in the absence of good evidence to suggest that it would lower the crime rate, I'm against it.
                That is just silly. If you put a child molester in prison for life he will never rape a child again.

Comment

Physical castration without medical necessity would be immoral. More so if it was meant as a punishment. However, Denmark does offer people who have committed pedophilic crimes the offer of chemical castration via various testosterone blockers, which have the intended effect. The offer is on a complete volunteer basis, and a majority of them willingly take it. This significantly reduces any sexual urges, and the success rate it quite high.

lol this genius needs a study to figure out if life imprisonment would lower crime rate. How many children do child molesters have access to in prison, idiot?
                  "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                    That is just silly. If you put a child molester in prison for life he will never rape a child again.
                    True, but your interest is in lowering crime rates. All the studies I have seen show that tough punishments have no significant impact on crime rates. You also assume that most child molesters are repeat offenders, whereas in Denmark the majority of them submit themselves for treatment, and again most of those stick to the treatment and never commit the crime again.

Comment

That's quite true, however, in the US Child molesters are subject to rape brutal beatings, and murder from other prisoners, and they may or may not rape other prisoners. Also we offer voluntary chemical castration for prisoners who are molesters themselves.
                      I do know personally one molester who is completely reformed however he became a Christian and turned his life around completely and confessed to the church and to his wife and daughter. Its one of the rarer situations.
                      A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                      George Bernard Shaw

Comment

True, but your interest is in lowering crime rates. All the studies I have seen show that tough punishments have no significant impact on crime rates. You also assume that most child molesters are repeat offenders, whereas in Denmark the majority of them submit themselves for treatment, and again most of those stick to the treatment and never commit the crime again.
                        Well Leonhard I don't live in Denmark, I live in the real world. ; ) But the point is that a child molester who gets life will never rape a child again. Period. And crime stats don't change that fact.

Comment

Well Leonhard I don't live in Denmark, I live in the real world. ; )
                          Whenever people here make categorical statements about how things work, and I find that they work significantly differently in my country, I don't mind bringing that up. You guys could use some perspective. ^,..,^

But the point is that a child molester who gets life will never rape a child again. Period. And crime stats don't change that fact.
                          True, though I don't see that it would change crime statistics all that much. In fact, it might make it even worse by causing more prison violence. If you're going to lock up a person for life, or execute him, because of the crime he has done, I don't think merely protection of society should be the criterion unless the person is highly likely to commit the same crime again. Rather I think if you were to do that to a child molestor it should be because you believe his crime deserves that level of punishment. That position I would have some respect for.

You asked in the op for what could be done about the rising crime rate. And I simple pointed out that there are multiple large-scale studies that show that making the punishments tougher, doesn't change the rate people do the crimes.

I'm also wondering if the rising rate has more to do with detection ability. We're more aware of this these days.

Comment

True, though I don't see that it would change crime statistics all that much. In fact, it might make it even worse by causing more prison violence. If you're going to lock up a person for life, or execute him, because of the crime he has done, I don't think merely protection of society should be the criterion unless the person is highly likely to commit the same crime again. Rather I think if you were to do that to a child molestor it should be because you believe his crime deserves that level of punishment. That position I would have some respect for.
                            Well I certainly do believe that child rape is a death penalty offense or life in prison. But the fact is, these guys generally don't change, so it is about protection too.

You asked in the op for what could be done about the rising crime rate. And I simple pointed out that there are multiple large-scale studies that show that making the punishments tougher, doesn't change the rate people do the crimes.
                            Over all our crime rate in the US has gone down over 30 years. I think much of it has to do with truth in sentencing laws - i.e. longer prison terms, three strike laws.

Comment

Well I certainly do believe that child rape is a death penalty offense or life in prison.
                              I'd say it depends on the exact nature of the crime and what was done. For instance, I know of a man who exposed himself to a young boy in swimming hall near where I lived once. I don't think this man deserves anything more than a few years in prison. If that. He came forward himself and admitted his guilt.

We have a different word for this category for this over here: sædelighedsforbrydelse. Basically, it covers all crimes of sexual contact with children, not merely penetrative sex which only happens in a minority of cases. Not to mention ephebophilic sexual contact, which is again different from pedophilic contact. Though unfortunately laws still punish a nineteen year old who had sex with a fifteen year old, with the same laws that would be used in the case of a thirty year old having sexual contact with a ten year old.

There's a lot of nuances here. It's all revolting of course, as sex is only legitimate between a man and his woman, and everything outside of that is a sin that can land any Christian soul in hell if they don't repent of it.

I would agree that anyone who literally raped a child deserves the death penalty or life imprisonment, perhaps with early parole, if they voluntarily submit for chemical castration (with follow-up checks).

But the fact is, these guys generally don't change, so it is about protection too.
                              It depends on the type of child molester. The more violent types have a significantly higher rate of recidivism than others. And then there are those who submit for chemical castration, in those cases the rate drops to the point of insignificance. These rarely commit the same crime again. As a note of pride again, Denmark is one of the few countries with high rates of chemical castration and with adequate statistics gathering to verify this.

In Denmark a few years back there was a terrible scandalous case of a father who had rented his own daughter out to other men he knew. This caused a similar debate between our politicians as the one you started in this thread: Forceful castration, tougher laws, etc. However various professors of law argued the case in the media that such laws would end up merely symbolic. They wouldn't change the rate itself, and would only harm those who have undergone such a treatment and who are being reintegrated into society.

For that reason we haven't made the penalties worse, nor have we started forcing castration on the criminals. The former is ineffective, the latter is immoral.

Over all our crime rate in the US has gone down over 30 years. I think much of it has to do with truth in sentencing laws - i.e. longer prison terms, three strike laws.
                              Correlation is not causation, what you would have to show is that if punishments are less severe, then the crime rate would only go up. There are other factors at play than merely whether we sentence people hard or not. The US has some of the toughest laws on crime in the entire world, yet you have great rates of crime. Denmark has much lighter laws on crime, and also a lot less crime. I don't think danes are inherently superior as a race compared to the US, so the explanation is probable to be found in social, political and economic reasons.

There's plenty of big studies that demonstrate this lack of correlation, and it's not that hard to look up. While I'm sure you can find smaller studies that tentatively conclude something different, the pattern is that the bigger or later studies with better controls, show little or no correlation.

Comment