Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Saudi Arabia joins UN Womens Rights Commission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saudi Arabia joins UN Womens Rights Commission

yeah.

Saudi Arabia was elected to the United Nations Commission on the Status of Women.

The addition of the Gulf nation was first flagged by UN Watch, a nongovernmental body that monitors the United Nations. The Commission on the Status of Women’s main mission is to assess the challenges to reaching gender inequality, according to the U.N. website.

The organization’s executive director slammed the election, which occurred in a secret vote during the U.N.’s Economic and Social Council.

“Electing Saudi Arabia to protect women’s rights is like making an arsonist into the town fire chief,” Hillel Neuer said.

Neuer called the election “absurd,” noting that all women in Saudi Arabia “must have a male guardian who makes all critical decisions on her behalf, controlling a woman’s life from her birth until death. Saudi Arabia also bans women from driving cars.”

http://thehill.com/policy/internatio...ght-commission

Might makes right, of course.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      yeah.

Saudi Arabia was elected to the United Nations Commission on the Status of Women.

The addition of the Gulf nation was first flagged by UN Watch, a nongovernmental body that monitors the United Nations. The Commission on the Status of Women’s main mission is to assess the challenges to reaching gender inequality, according to the U.N. website.

The organization’s executive director slammed the election, which occurred in a secret vote during the U.N.’s Economic and Social Council.

“Electing Saudi Arabia to protect women’s rights is like making an arsonist into the town fire chief,” Hillel Neuer said.

Neuer called the election “absurd,” noting that all women in Saudi Arabia “must have a male guardian who makes all critical decisions on her behalf, controlling a woman’s life from her birth until death. Saudi Arabia also bans women from driving cars.”

http://thehill.com/policy/internatio...ght-commission
      You can't make this stuff up! No wonder we think the UN has lost all moral authority.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

On the one hand this doesnt surprise me. On the other hand what are you doing united nations.
        sigpic

Comment

The US does not exactly have the moral authority to be indignant given they have long looked the other way at Saudi Arabia's abysmal rights record for obvious economic reasons. But I do feel that the United Nations is worse than useless.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
            But I do feel that the United Nations is worse than useless.
            Well we agree on that...
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

In other news, Mr. Fox was appointed as head of security of the chicken coop.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                lBut I do feel that the United Nations is worse than useless.
                My high school class toured the UN. When we visited the main chamber, the tour guide asked, "Do you know what happens in here?"

My friend said under his breath, "Nothing important."
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                  You can't make this stuff up! No wonder we think the UN has lost all moral authority.
                  It never had moral authority.
                  I'm not here anymore.

Comment

IIRC Saudi Arabia does not ban women from driving cars - the law only says that women in cars must have a male chauffeur, it doesn't say that the male chauffeur must be the one driving.
                    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                    MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                      IIRC Saudi Arabia does not ban women from driving cars - the law only says that women in cars must have a male chauffeur, it doesn't say that the male chauffeur must be the one driving.
                      Source: Seven things women in Saudi Arabia cannot do

Although women's rights have been incrementally extended in recent years – they were allowed to vote in municipal elections for the first time last year - their actions are still severely restricted.

In a country where a woman cannot even open a bank account without her husband's permission, here are several other things they are still unable to do:

Drive a car
                      There is no official law that bans women from driving, but deeply held religious beliefs prohibit it, with Saudi clerics arguing that female drivers "undermine social values".

In 2011, the "Women2Drive" campaign encouraged women to disregard the laws and post images and videos of themselves driving on social media to raise awareness of the issue in an attempt to force change. It was not a major success.

Saudi journalist Talal Alharbi says women should be allowed to drive - but only to take their children to school or a family member to hospital. "Women should accept simple things", he writes for Arab News. "This is a wise thing women could do at this stage. Being stubborn won't support their cause.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

Source: Let Women Drive, a Prince in Saudi Arabia Urges

A prominent Saudi prince and business magnate has added his voice to the debate over women’s rights in his country, urging it to abandon its driving ban for women.

“Stop the debate,” the prince, Alwaleed bin Talal, wrote on Twitter on Tuesday. “It’s time for women to drive.”

In a four-page letter posted on his personal website, he argued that “it is high time that Saudi women started driving their cars,” and he couched his views in economic terms, noting that foreign drivers are typically paid 3,800 riyals, or about $1,000, a month to shuttle women around. The cost, he argued, contributes to capital outflows and strains household budgets at a time when Saudi Arabia is trying to shift its economy away from reliance on oil.

Prince Alwaleed’s statement seemed unlikely to affect policy.

In April, Mohammed bin Salman, the deputy crown prince, who has amassed power in Riyadh, the capital, and is seen as a contender for the throne, said he was “not convinced” that women should be allowed to drive, adding that his reservations concerned resistance in society rather than religious doctrine.

The driving ban is enforced by Saudi Arabia’s Interior Ministry, and it has been the occasional target of protests. Women were allowed to vote and run in local elections last December for the first time. But they have a low rate of participation in the work force, a problem for the kingdom as it tries to diversify its economy and rely less on foreign workers.

Prince Alwaleed is not in the government and does not speak for it, but as one of the world’s wealthiest investors he enjoys a higher profile than most other Saudi royals. A billionaire, he is particularly active in the hotel and construction industries and has extensive holdings in the United States and Europe.

Prince Alwaleed wrote that the ban could not be defended under religious law. “Such a ban on driving is fundamentally an infringement on a woman’s rights, particularly as it continues to exist after she had won her right to an education and a salaried employment.”

Ending the ban would allow the kingdom to eventually “dispense with” the services of an estimated one million drivers and would stimulate the economy by allowing women to work by driving other women who did not feel comfortable behind the wheel.

Source

Those are from last September and November respectively. Still it appears that in there is an exception

Source: Are Saudi women still not allowed to drive? If yes, what is the main reason?

Actually, there is no law that prohibits women from driving in Saudi Arabia, neither civil nor religious!

What there is, is strong social belief that women's driving is hazardous to the moral well-being of the country and society. There is deep suspicion in Saudi Arabia that woman--excepting everyone's own mother and sisters, of course--is a morally flawed being, a seductress, either overt or covert, just waiting to ruin the morals of any passing male. As sex without the benefit of marriage is both a sin and a crime, all steps necessary to prevent this are to be taken.

This attitude, however, is largely confined to the major cities. Saudi women do drive in rural areas, where driving is simply a necessity. Women on farms or in pastures drive pickup trucks and SUVs because they need to be able to move animals, fodder, and the like. If they don't, the family starves. The men in those areas understand this and so do not object. In urban areas, things are closer together, there are more people (and more opportunities to sin), and there's somewhat of a public transportation system. So, the thinking goes, women don't need to drive.

Saudi society has major psychological and logical conflicts on the issue. While non-related men and women are not supposed to be in close and closed proximity, foreign drivers are not seen as 'male' somehow, at least for these purposes. That relations between Saudi women and their foreign drivers sometimes reaches 'heated' levels is well-reported. Still, having a Saudi woman being driven around by a foreigner is okay by societal standards.

Source

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                        It never had moral authority.
                        Well what authority did it have?

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                          Well what authority did it have?
                          Political?

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                            Political?
                            I guess to a certain degree legal too. All and all they have been pretty ineffective.

Comment

Well, do they issue drivers licenses to women? Can't drive without a license legally. So you wouldn't have to have a law against women driving, just don't give them licenses.

Comment