Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Jean Paul Sartre

  1. #1
    tWebber TheWall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,185
    Amen (Given)
    1360
    Amen (Received)
    1520

    Jean Paul Sartre

    In my honest opinion Sartre has done more to drive people to christ with his philodophy than Nietzsche.

    Sartre believed that things either existed as objects or as an essence. He denied the idea of humans having a human nature. His philosophy also denied the existance of love, obhective moral value, and gratitude. He is however perhaps the most consistant and honest hypocrite I have ever read about. He knew what atheism logically entailed but instead of being horrified he found it thrilling. Dostoyevsky said that if God didnt exist everything was permissible. He said that to show that since not everything is morally permissible God must exist.

    I must say I am happy that I have a sponge like mind. I desire to learn and you know sometimes the uncomfortable helps you find great truth. Hell is not other people as sartre thought. Hell is loneliness, shame, and the absence of love.

    In many ways Sartre seems to mirror christian thinkers. For instance he and Camus both said mans deepest desire is to understand his purpose. Augistine said something simmiliar. As did Kierkegaard and Solomon who said that rhe aim of mans heart is to take the leap of faith serving God. Sartre however takes meaning to be impossible thus everything is absurd and meaning is subjective.

    I thank Peter Kreeft for his books. I am not a philosopher but I do want to learn.

  2. Amen LostSheep, Arc amen'd this post.
  3. #2
    tWebber seer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    New England
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    21,188
    Amen (Given)
    1185
    Amen (Received)
    4250
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWall View Post
    In my honest opinion Sartre has done more to drive people to christ with his philodophy than Nietzsche.

    Sartre believed that things either existed as objects or as an essence. He denied the idea of humans having a human nature. His philosophy also denied the existance of love, obhective moral value, and gratitude. He is however perhaps the most consistant and honest hypocrite I have ever read about. He knew what atheism logically entailed but instead of being horrified he found it thrilling. Dostoyevsky said that if God didnt exist everything was permissible. He said that to show that since not everything is morally permissible God must exist.

    I must say I am happy that I have a sponge like mind. I desire to learn and you know sometimes the uncomfortable helps you find great truth. Hell is not other people as sartre thought. Hell is loneliness, shame, and the absence of love.

    In many ways Sartre seems to mirror christian thinkers. For instance he and Camus both said mans deepest desire is to understand his purpose. Augistine said something simmiliar. As did Kierkegaard and Solomon who said that rhe aim of mans heart is to take the leap of faith serving God. Sartre however takes meaning to be impossible thus everything is absurd and meaning is subjective.

    I thank Peter Kreeft for his books. I am not a philosopher but I do want to learn.
    I like Peter Kreeft, you can't go wrong with him.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

  4. Amen TheWall amen'd this post.
  5. #3
    tWebber Carrikature's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Oregon
    Faith
    Non-Theist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,578
    Amen (Given)
    2084
    Amen (Received)
    1074
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWall View Post
    Hell is not other people as sartre thought. Hell is loneliness, shame, and the absence of love.
    This seems to be a demonstration of meaning as subjective.
    I'm not here anymore.

  6. #4
    tWebber shunyadragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Hillsborough, NC
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    12,992
    Amen (Given)
    1277
    Amen (Received)
    878
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWall View Post
    In my honest opinion Sartre has done more to drive people to christ with his philosophy than Nietzsche.
    If the philosophy of Satre or Nietzsche cause people to be Christians than it sad account for any cause to be a Christian.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

    go with the flow the river knows . . .

    Frank

    I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

  7. #5
    tWebber 37818's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    So. California
    Faith
    Nontraditional Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,185
    Amen (Given)
    815
    Amen (Received)
    442
    Jean Paul Sartre -- Existentialism. In short is a bad philosophy. With my limited understanding of it, it defines a person by what they do instead of what a person does is because of what they are.

    The following link gives a more clear explanation of its issues than I can explain:
    http://www.godswordforyou.com/though...entialism.html
    . . . the Gospel of Christ, for it is [the] power of God to salvation to every [one] believing, . . . -- Romans 1:16.

    . . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3, 4.

    Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1.

  8. #6
    tWebber Jin-roh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Glendale, CA
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    185
    Amen (Given)
    33
    Amen (Received)
    92
    He knew what atheism logically entailed but instead of being horrified he found it thrilling.
    I'm not sure if Sartre found atheism to be thrilling, and I'm not sure if led people to Jesus.

    I do think though, that he thought clearly about what atheism implies, and lived with it.

    It's ironic that the guy who wrote "hell is other people" had his funeral attended by about ten thousand of them.

  9. #7
    tWebber Jin-roh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Glendale, CA
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    185
    Amen (Given)
    33
    Amen (Received)
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by 37818 View Post
    Jean Paul Sartre -- Existentialism. In short is a bad philosophy.
    Wait for the other shoe to drop...

    With my limited understanding of it,
    Boom! "This thing is bad, and I don't know anything about it."

    The following link gives a more clear explanation of its issues than I can explain:
    http://www.godswordforyou.com/though...entialism.html
    Read this instead:

    Existentialism is a Humanism

  10. #8
    tWebber shunyadragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Hillsborough, NC
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    12,992
    Amen (Given)
    1277
    Amen (Received)
    878
    Quote Originally Posted by Jin-roh View Post
    Wait for the other shoe to drop...



    Boom! "This thing is bad, and I don't know anything about it."



    Read this instead:

    Existentialism is a Humanism
    Good reference! The following is a decent summary:

    Source: "http://homepages.wmich.edu/~baldner/existentialism.pdf"Existentialism is a Humanism



    You can see from these few reflections that nothing could be more unjust
    than the objections people raise against us. Existentialism is nothing else but an
    attempt to draw the full conclusions from a consistently atheistic position. Its
    intention is not in the least that of plunging men into despair. And if by despair one
    means as the Christians do – any attitude of unbelief, the despair of the
    existentialists is something different. Existentialism is not atheist in the sense that
    it would exhaust itself in demonstrations of the non-existence of God. It declares,
    rather, that even if God existed that would make no difference from its point of
    view. Not that we believe God does exist, but we think that the real problem is not
    that of His existence; what man needs is to find himself again and to understand
    that nothing can save him from himself, not even a valid proof of the existence of
    God. In this sense existentialism is optimistic. It is a doctrine of action, and it is
    only by self-deception, by confining their own despair with ours that Christians can
    describe us as without hope.

    From a public lecture given in 1946
    Translator: Philip Mairet
    Copyright: Reproduced under “Fair Use” provisions

    © Copyright Original Source

    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

    go with the flow the river knows . . .

    Frank

    I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

  11. #9
    tWebber 37818's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    So. California
    Faith
    Nontraditional Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,185
    Amen (Given)
    815
    Amen (Received)
    442
    Quote Originally Posted by Jin-roh View Post
    Wait for the other shoe to drop...



    Boom! "This thing is bad, and I don't know anything about it."



    Read this instead:

    Existentialism is a Humanism
    I reject the idea that actions define one's being. I hold the view that one's being (heart) defines the type of actions one does. (see Matthew 15:18)
    Meaning of words. Essence must have existence, therefore existence precedes essence. Existence is presumed by all.
    . . . the Gospel of Christ, for it is [the] power of God to salvation to every [one] believing, . . . -- Romans 1:16.

    . . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3, 4.

    Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1.

  12. #10
    tWebber Jin-roh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Glendale, CA
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    185
    Amen (Given)
    33
    Amen (Received)
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by 37818 View Post
    I reject the idea that actions define one's being. I hold the view that one's being (heart) defines the type of actions one does. (see Matthew 15:18)
    Meaning of words.
    Did you even read a word that Sartre said? I'm not sure if you really understand him. If you did, why would you say something like...

    Essence must have existence, therefore existence precedes essence.
    It's one thing to disagree with a person. (I've read a lot of Sartre, and obviously I don't share his metaphysical commitments), the problem I see is a knee-jerk judgment on something you admitted to not understanding, and then citing a bullet point caricature summary of existentialism that didn't even bother to cite or quote the words of a single secular existentialist.

    You do see the problem there right? It's a bit like some village atheist saying "Christianity is stupid, because why couldn't Jesus have killed the Romans trying to crucify him?... But I've never really read the Gospels... Here's a link!"
    Last edited by Jin-roh; 06-11-2017 at 11:28 PM. Reason: In the tradition of French existentialists, I'm drinking wine. Thus, I need to proofread more closely.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •