Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Catholic Hospital Refused Transgender Surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catholic Hospital Refused Transgender Surgery

Of course now they are being sued! The left just can not abide those with different opinions and ethics.

More than seven months after a Dignity Health hospital refused a hysterectomy to a Sacramento-area transgender patient, the American Civil Liberties Union filed a lawsuit Wednesday on his behalf.

The lawsuit, filed in San Francisco Superior Court, alleges that Dignity discriminated against Evan Michael Minton, 35, a former state Capitol legislative aide, when he sought a hysterectomy as part of his transition from female to male.

Last summer, Mercy San Juan Medical Center in Carmichael, part of the Dignity Health chain, abruptly canceled Minton’s surgery the day before it was scheduled to take place. His doctor eventually performed the procedure at another Sacramento-area hospital, but the initial denial still causes frustration and disappointment, Minton said. After months of reflection, he decided to take legal action against the San Francisco-based hospital chain.

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/hea...#storylink=cpy
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

being a Catholic hospital they should not have to do a hysterectomy unless its a medical emergency. To me it would be like suing a hospital for refusing to do plastic surgery. If he(she?) wants to change his gender or appearance it should be up to him to find the place that will help him and pay for it himself. It is not emergency or life threatening and is why insurance wont pay for it. If this person actually is suing maybe he needs a psychiatrist not a surgeon?

Comment

Originally posted by Abu Njoroge View Post
      being a Catholic hospital they should not have to do a hysterectomy unless its a medical emergency. To me it would be like suing a hospital for refusing to do plastic surgery. If he(she?) wants to change his gender or appearance it should be up to him to find the place that will help him and pay for it himself. It is not emergency or life threatening and is why insurance wont pay for it. If this person actually is suing maybe he needs a psychiatrist not a surgeon?
      And the person got his/her surgery at another hospital. But no, liberals can not leave it alone until we all think and act like them - and they will use the force of the law to those ends.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Its a nonsensical request and I doubt it has a leg to stand on. Plastic surgery isn't medically neccesary, Catholic moral theology in general stand against it in any kind, except when its used to restore something disfigured by accident.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
          Its a nonsensical request and I doubt it has a leg to stand on.
          It actually does in California.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
            Its a nonsensical request and I doubt it has a leg to stand on.
            Even if they originally scheduled the operation but then cancelled it at short notice?
            Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
            MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
              Even if they originally scheduled the operation but then cancelled it at short notice?
              But that is not their argument:

“Given the national context, where legal protections for transgender people are under attack, it’s particularly important that in states like California the law is really clear,” said Elizabeth Gill, senior staff attorney for the ACLU Northern California.

She said the hospital’s denial is a “clear-cut case of discrimination,” based on the state’s Unruh Civil Rights Act, which prohibits discrimination against individuals based on their sex, race, religion, age, disability, marital status or sexual orientation. The suit seeks $4,000, the minimal amount of damages under the law, Gill said.

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/hea...#storylink=cpy
              This is not about short notice, but discrimination.

Comment

Edited by a Moderator

Moderated By: CP

over the line

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
                Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Last edited by Cow Poke; 04-27-2017, 10:22 AM.
                Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

this is pure an unadulterated fascism from the ACLU.

Comment

Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
                    At least they're true to their marriages.
                    Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
                      yep...

Comment

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
                        At least they're true to their marriages.
                        What in the world does this mean?
                        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                          What in the world does this mean?
                          They're unadulterated fascists.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                            Actually, that would matter IF the hospital knew at the time the operation was scheduled that the surgery was elective AND there was no policy in place (so that the employee might reasonably have believed they were within policy).

But given the little we know, I doubt it is an issue*.

*This opinion is subject to change should facts warrant.
                            Warranty may be voided if facts get in the way of a good pun.
                            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Flat out crazy. I don't get why the Catholic Hospitals would get to have a church exemption over things like paying for contraception for employees but not for this. Is the ACLU trying to force a losing fight with a conservative supreme court?

fwiw,
                              g.
                              "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
                              Hear my cry, hear my shout,
                              Save me, save me"

Comment