Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Toured a Catholic school today...

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Toured a Catholic school today...

My kid won't be a toddler forever. I decided to tour our local Catholic school just to see what it's like for kids there. The side of town we live on doesn't have the best public schools, so our options are to either move to a zone with a good public school or go private if we stay here. I'm also unemployed at the moment, so I don't have much better to do and it's good to get out of the house.

I have a history with this school. I went there in Kindergarten and First grade and had an absolutely horrible experience. I have aspergers and the teachers didn't know how to help me or what to do about my behavior back then. I won't go into specifics, but suffice to say it was difficult going back after 27 years. I had to tell myself while my wife held my hand sometimes that this place is new, the people are different now, and the rules are different from when I was a child. I never told any of the staff while I was touring there that I was a student at one time. I didn't recognize anyone from my childhood, either.

Regardless, I liked the place. I was impressed by the curriculum, the way the school worked, and the preschool. The teachers seemed professional and friendly. They answered our questions pretty well and gave us some good information books about it. My biggest worry was about participation in church activities. The kids have a Catholic liturgy every week. I was reassured that non-Catholic students, even Orthodox ones, don't take communion and aren't a part of the liturgy (altar boys, servers, etc). The priest at the church next to the school is conservative and understands these issues pretty well and won't commune kids who are either Catholic and aren't ready for their first communion or are another Church or religion.

I do have a few hangups: 1. No summer programs, even for preschool kids. 2. We're Orthodox and I'm afraid that might confuse our child at such a young age as to why he can't participate in communion or anything in a weekly liturgy for school. 3. More expensive tuition for non-Catholics. I find this a bit irritating, but can live with it.

Have you guys ever had to send your children to school of a different beliefs or church than your own? What was it like?

(Also, mods, feel free to move this thread if this isn't quite the right forum for it).
    “The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don’t always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don’t always spoil the good things and make them unimportant.”
    — The Doctor

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    wait. what? You are Eastern Orthodox and you want to send your kid to a Catholic school? What would your pope say?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    wait. what? You are Eastern Orthodox and you want to send your kid to a Catholic school? What would your pope say?
    We don't have a pope. Orthodox have sent their kids to Catholic schools before. Usually goes without incident. This is just one option that we're exploring. Going to check out a Montessori school sometime soon as well.
    “The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don’t always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don’t always spoil the good things and make them unimportant.”
    — The Doctor

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Shirt Ninja View Post
    We don't have a pope. Orthodox have sent their kids to Catholic schools before. Usually goes without incident. This is just one option that we're exploring. Going to check out a Montessori school sometime soon as well.
    Oh. I guess that is just the Greek Orthodox then?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Oh. I guess that is just the Greek Orthodox then?
    Greek Orthodox don't have a pope, either. We all have bishops. None of them have said, as far as I know, that sending kids to Catholic school for education was forbidden.
    — The Doctor

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Shirt Ninja View Post
    Greek Orthodox don't have a pope, either. We all have bishops. None of them have said, as far as I know, that sending kids to Catholic school for education was forbidden.
    really? I thought that there was some orthodox Pope, that there was a big fight when the church split and they ended up with two popes, one for the Catholics and one for the Orthodox?

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    really? I thought that there was some orthodox Pope, that there was a big fight when the church split and they ended up with two popes, one for the Catholics and one for the Orthodox?
    Nope. There were five (significant) Patriarchs, and there was a big fight when the one in Rome decided that all the others should submit to HIM, and tried to force the issue.

There aren't generally enough Orthodox in an area to open an Orthodox school. Roman Catholics are closest to Orthodoxy in doctrine and practice, so Orthodox parents tend to send their kids to Catholic schools as the least worst option, although homeschooling is growing in popularity.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

8. Amen T-Shirt Ninja amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Nope. There were five (significant) Patriarchs, and there was a big fight when the one in Rome decided that all the others should submit to HIM, and tried to force the issue.

There aren't generally enough Orthodox in an area to open an Orthodox school. Roman Catholics are closest to Orthodoxy in doctrine and practice, so Orthodox parents tend to send their kids to Catholic schools as the least worst option, although homeschooling is growing in popularity.
    Interesting. thanks..

while I was waiting, I googled and found this (of course it is wiki, grain of salt and all that)

The Patriarch of Alexandria is the archbishop of Alexandria, Egypt. Historically, this office has included the designation "pope" (etymologically "Father", like "Abbot")

(sorry for the derial)

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Maybe you're mixing us up with Coptic Orthodox (who do have a pope)? That split predates the Catholic/Orthodox split so we did have a pope at the time.

11. Amen Rushing Jaws amen'd this post.
    Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Interesting. thanks..

while I was waiting, I googled and found this (of course it is wiki, grain of salt and all that)

The Patriarch of Alexandria is the archbishop of Alexandria, Egypt. Historically, this office has included the designation "pope" (etymologically "Father", like "Abbot")

(sorry for the derial)
    That's accurate. In the East, the term has never been restricted to the Patriarch of Rome.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

13. Amen Rushing Jaws amen'd this post.