Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

North Korea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• North Korea

If China had not come in to support the communist north in 1950 it is quite likely that Korea would have been one country and doing very well by now. As it is, the North are fiercely independent and simply want to be left alone to follow their own path. The Korean War was never officially ended and the North Koreans still have a siege mentality which we in the West generally do not understand. They are enormously proud of their achievements in rocketry and nuclear weapons and they feel that this is what they need to guarantee their independence.

How should the West react?
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
    “not all there” - you know who you are

I've never been able to figure out why North Korea is our problem.
    Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
      mostly because we have a treaty with South Korea to protect them and North Korea keeps threatening to invade them, and plus the Great Leader is a total paranoid nutjob with delusions of grandeur who goes around threatening the USA and every other country with nuclear war.

Comment

Also, you really don't want to have uncontrolled nuclear proliferation.

fwiw,
        G.
        "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
        Hear my cry, hear my shout,
        Save me, save me"

Comment

Originally posted by guacamole View Post
          Also, you really don't want to have uncontrolled nuclear proliferation.

fwiw,
          G.
          really?

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
            They are enormously proud of their achievements in rocketry ....
            North_Korean_Rocket_Explosion.jpg
            When I Survey....

Comment

Well, we can’t just wash our hands of all our historical mischief making just because our memories are short. And, I think it is unfair to be too hard on NK. We should work to make them feel safe and maybe they will eventually come out of their shell.
              “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
              “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
              “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                Well, we can’t just wash our hands of all our historical mischief making just because our memories are short. And, I think it is unfair to be too hard on NK. We should work to make them feel safe and maybe they will eventually come out of their shell.
                Do you remember Waco?

A while back David Koresh was teaching his people all kinds of paranoid things and abusing children. Anyways, one of the things he taught was that the government would come for all of them one day. It was one of those wack-job conspiracy theories that didn't have a shot at coming true until an idiot by the name of Janet Reno took office. Most people would back away from ordering troops to materialize the wild fantasies of a pervert like Koresh but Reno wasn't interested in understanding her opponent, only in crushing him.

You've suggested making North Korea feel safe.
                That is exactly the right approach.
                Aggressive military action only allows him to say, "See, I told you they'd come for us!"

Unfortunately, the oligarchs who run this country need lots of money, cocaine, and hookers.
                Because of this we'll be at war until such time as the people revolt and throw the traitors out of power.
                Until then, enjoy the fireworks.
                Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Do you remember Waco?

A while back David Koresh was teaching his people all kinds of paranoid things and abusing children. Anyways, one of the things he taught was that the government would come for all of them one day. It was one of those wack-job conspiracy theories that didn't have a shot at coming true until an idiot by the name of Janet Reno took office. Most people would back away from ordering troops to materialize the wild fantasies of a pervert like Koresh but Reno wasn't interested in understanding her opponent, only in crushing him.

Aggressive military action only allows him to say, "See, I told you they'd come for us!"

Unfortunately, the oligarchs who run this country need lots of money, cocaine, and hookers.
                  Because of this we'll be at war until such time as the people revolt and throw the traitors out of power.
                  They could have easily arrested Koresh during one of his frequent trips into town but decided on a big raid instead to distract attention from an ATF sexual harassment scandal going on at the time

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Do you remember Waco?

If North Koreans are so scared why did they sink a South Korean ship for no good reason a couple of years ago? Seems to me they're not quite the victim you're trying to portray them as.
                    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      They could have easily arrested Koresh during one of his frequent trips into town but decided on a big raid instead to distract attention from an ATF sexual harassment scandal going on at the time
                      We have a winner!

Until such time as people realize that the oligarchs consider us to be disposable trash they'll continue to get away with this nonsense.

Comment

North Korea feels safe enough to threaten using nuclear missiles against South Korea and bragging that it can hit the USA too. Feeling Safe isn't the answer. They already feel safe because Kim Jong Un is a narcissistic nutjob who thinks he can take on the USA and win. Making him feel less threatened will only feed his ego and encourage him to try. The answer is for China to step on his head.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                          If North Koreans are so scared why did they sink a South Korean ship for no good reason a couple of years ago? Seems to me they're not quite the victim you're trying to portray them as.
                          North Korea isn't a victim.
                          The leader they have is a dangerous and delusional maniac.

I just don't see how feeding into his end time prophecy is helping.

The dude needs to be black bagged and simply disappear.
                          A tiny American Flag should be left on his nightstand.
                          I don't mind reigning this guy in but I don't want to feed his cult either.

Comment

North Korea isn't a victim.
                            The leader they have is a dangerous and delusional maniac.

I just don't see how feeding into his end time prophecy is helping.

The dude needs to be black bagged and simply disappear.
                            A tiny American Flag should be left on his nightstand.
                            I don't mind reigning this guy in but I don't want to feed his cult either.
                            I agree with this. and if we weren't afraid China would step in and do something stupid, we probably would do it too.

I think this whole coal deal with China is pretty smart.

Comment

Cos South Korea, also Japan, are protectorates of US of A!! So you're supposed to protect them from crazy-neighbor-who-has-nukes!!!
                              Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment