Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Bill Nye The Idiot Guy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
    Sigh!

What YOU
    Once again you run from the question.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
      No one has ever managed to show that theism is logically incoherent, despite what you might have deluded yourself into believing.
      If you run in tight enough circles . . .
      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
        You'll start rotating on the spot?

Comment

Actually, circular logic isn't fallacious per se - it's internally valid. It also goes absolutely nowhere.
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

No one has ever managed to show that theism is logically incoherent, despite what you might have deluded yourself into believing.
            A deductive argument is sound if and only if it is both valid, and all of its premises are actually true. There is no way to show that the initial premise of your argument. i.e. god exists, is true. Hence, at best, you have logically coherent fiction.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              He has already told me that there is NOTHING that could convince him that God exists. Not even if God appeared to him and did anything he asks to prove it.
              Typically, you misrepresent the argument. Namely that for an immaterial, supernatural entity like a god to "appear" you must first show that an immaterial, supernatural world exists. This you haven't done. Therefore any "supernatural" appearances by a god, or an angel or the blue-fairy will, in all probability, have a natural explanation, such as it being a delusional experience. Happens all the time...ever visited the wards of a psychiatric hospital?

Comment

A deductive argument is sound if and only if it is both valid, and all of its premises are actually true. There is no way to show that the initial premise of your argument. i.e. god exists, is true. Hence, at best, you have logically coherent fiction.
                This is a textbook case of argument from ignorance. Being unable to show that A is true isn't warrant enough to conclude that A is false.

Comment

This is a textbook case of argument from ignorance.
                  http://www.iep.utm.edu/val-snd/

Being unable to show that A is true isn't warrant enough to conclude that A is false.
                  ...or true!

Comment

Typically, you misrepresent the argument. Namely that for an immaterial, supernatural entity like a god to "appear" you must first show that an immaterial, supernatural world exists. This you haven't done. Therefore any "supernatural" appearances by a god, or an angel or the blue-fairy will, in all probability, have a natural explanation, such as it being a delusional experience. Happens all the time...ever visited the wards of a psychiatric hospital?
                    sorry no misrepresentation. I spent several pages on this with you. If God appeared to you and did miracles for you, you said you would not believe in him. If he brought back someone from the dead for you, you said you would not believe. Delusions don't do miracles, Tassy, that others can see and confirm.

You are just so close-minded that nothing could ever convince you that God exists, so it is a waste of time to even discuss it with you. You ASK for evidence when you already said you would reject any evidence.

Comment

Your assertion was "hence, at best, you have logically coherent fiction".

I know what a sound argument is, you don't need to tell me that. My point was that you're using the fact that you don't think there's any way to show that God exists to conclude that therefore God must be fictional. That is arguing from ignorance and fallacious.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        sorry no misrepresentation. I spent several pages on this with you. If God appeared to you and did miracles for you, you said you would not believe in him. If he brought back someone from the dead for you, you said you would not believe. Delusions don't do miracles, Tassy, that others can see and confirm.
                        You mean like the "miracle" of Fatima when the sun hurtled towards towards the amazed crowd. Or Benny Hinn's "miraculous "healings" and etc.

You are just so close-minded that nothing could ever convince you that God exists, so it is a waste of time to even discuss it with you. You ASK for evidence when you already said you would reject any evidence.
                        People who want to believe will always find reason to believe, no matter how spurious.

Comment

Your assertion was "hence, at best, you have logically coherent fiction".

I know what a sound argument is, you don't need to tell me that.
                          Good! Then you agree that without a true premise you cannot show a conclusion to be true. Therefore you cannot argue that , which was the assertion to which I was responding, because you cannot show the existence of God to be true.

Comment

You mean like the "miracle" of Fatima when the sun hurtled towards towards the amazed crowd. Or Benny Hinn's "miraculous "healings" and etc.

People who want to believe will always find reason to believe, no matter how spurious.
                            Thanks for confirming what I said about you.

You can't help it can you?

e7f166291376d1833097d7b2758e2ea7.jpg

Comment

• I do not think he realizes it, Sparko.

Comment

I do not think he realizes it, Sparko.
                                His lack of self-awareness is what makes it so amusing. I even keep telling him he has Foot-in-Mouth disease and he still does it.

Comment