Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Bill Nye The Idiot Guy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Oh, I don't disagree - but that doesn't mean he won't do it begrudgingly. You can force someone to see overwhelming evidence, but you can't force him to like it.
    true, but Tassman strikes me as the blustery type who falls apart when confronted by something like the Judgement.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      No. They were hardly deemed worthy of note by the ruling class of the time and there is very little writings from that time still extant today. It would actually be a shock if we still had some record from such sources.

Think of it this way... The majority of the great plays from ancient times are known to us only by title in spite of being copied again and again so that they can be performed in different cities and towns. The same is true with the books written by Roman Emperors which would have been copied over and over and sent throughout the Empire.

So why should it be a problem that we don't have mention of the apostles in sources that cared little about such things?
      So, your reason for believing the supernatural stories in the bible are derived of the bible. Lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
        So, your reason for believing the supernatural stories in the bible are derived of the bible. Lol.
        Do you believe the Gallic Wars occurred?
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

And here I thought that such a brilliant thinker such as yourself was well aware of the great deal of extra-biblical literature in existence. My bad.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
            Do you believe the Gallic Wars occurred?
            Yes. There's considerable evidence of the Gallic Wars not the least being that they were described by the chief protagonist himself, Caesar. There's far more evidence for them than what's available for the Jesus story. Plus there are no supernatural components to the Gallic Wars, which makes a difference. Historical-critical methodology does not allow for miracles.
            Last edited by Tassman; 07-24-2017, 10:37 PM.
            “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              No actually YOU illustrate that very well. It is a passage that shows that what you have is willful ignorance.
              Again: there are no hypothetical scenarios whereby science can investigate the verification of miracles. Belief in miracles can only be a leap of faith. This applies equally to God doing miracles and the Blue Fairy granting your wishes...which you said would be proof of the Blue Fairy's existence. Well, it’s not, in either case. A "miracle" is not proof of God's existence, just as a granted wish is not proof of the Blue Fairy's existence.

I think when you are actually confronted with God you will fall down on your knees and start begging for forgiveness)
              ...as in the Philippians kenotic Passage, you mean? I don't think so. Does it give you comfort that I'd get my comeuppance?

Actually, I would cogently argue with your mythical god that he cannot possibly exist and he will disappear in a puff of logic.
              Last edited by Tassman; 07-24-2017, 11:08 PM.
              “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

The reason you believe most of what you do about science is derived from papers about science. and not even directly, but mostly news stories about the papers, or textbooks about the papers, or just TV. And everything you know about history is from watching TV or reading textbooks. You have zero primary knowledge Jim. Everything you know is second or third hand or even farther removed.

The bible is not one book. it is a collection of books written over thousands of years. It has a lot more than stories. It has verified history. It has prophesies in earlier books that have been fulfilled much later in history, backed up not only in the bible but in history itself.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                  Again: there are no hypothetical scenarios whereby science can investigate the verification of miracles. Belief in miracles can only be a leap of faith. This applies equally to God doing miracles and the Blue Fairy granting your wishes...which you said would be proof of the Blue Fairy's existence. Well, it’s not, in either case. A "miracle" is not proof of God's existence, just as a granted wish is not proof of the Blue Fairy's existence.

...as in the Philippians kenotic Passage, you mean? I don't think so. Does it give you comfort that I'd get my comeuppance?

Actually, I would cogently argue with your mythical god that he cannot possibly exist and he will disappear in a puff of logic.
                  Tassman you have set yourself up so that even if God exists, you would not believe in him. That is pretty much the definition for close-mindedness. Thanks for showing us that again.

Comment

The reason you believe most of what you do about science is derived from papers about science. and not even directly, but mostly news stories about the papers, or textbooks about the papers, or just TV. And everything you know about history is from watching TV or reading textbooks. You have zero primary knowledge Jim. Everything you know is second or third hand or even farther removed.
                    Most of what I believe is corraborated again and again Sparko, and if there turns out to be flaws in the data it is because they can be continually investigated.
                    The bible is not one book. it is a collection of books written over thousands of years. It has a lot more than stories. It has verified history. It has prophesies in earlier books that have been fulfilled much later in history, backed up not only in the bible but in history itself.
                    It is a collection of books with the same religious agenda. It does have verified history, but it also has unverified claims within that history. Just because a couple of guys, who, as far as we know, were probably fictional characters themselves, claim that a man walked on water, only seen by themselves, is not good reason to believe it. The same goes for all the unverified supernatural claims of a few people with a religious agenda. Your mind is a product of those beliefs as they come to you from the Bible, ergo you believe.

Comment

Most of what I believe is corraborated again and again Sparko, and if there turns out to be flaws in the data it is because they can be continually investigated.
                      You have not corroborated anything you believe about science since you were in high school doing Bunsen burner experiments and dissecting frogs. You are just taking other people's word that the work has been corroborated and investigated while you sit in your living room watching CNN and the History channel.
                      It is a collection of books with the same religious agenda. It does have verified history, but it also has unverified claims within that history. Just because a couple of guys, who, as far as we know, were probably fictional characters themselves, claim that a man walked on water, only seen by themselves, is not good reason to believe it. The same goes for all the unverified supernatural claims of a few people with a religious agenda. Your mind is a product of those beliefs as they come to you from the Bible, ergo you believe.

Comment

Tassman you have set yourself up so that even if God exists, you would not believe in him.
                        Science doesn’t acknowledge the possibility of miracles. This would be to acknowledge the existence of the supernatural for which there’s no substantive evidence. Any “miraculous” occurrence (whether attributed to the Blue Fairy or a god) will have a natural explanation. Even the most unlikely explanation is more probable than explaining it away as god-did-it, or in your case the Blue Fairy-did-it.

That is pretty much the definition for close-mindedness. Thanks for showing us that again.
                        No, it's accepting reality rather than tenuously justifying what one wants to believe in, i.e. 'wishful thinking'.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                          Science doesn’t acknowledge the possibility of miracles. This would be to acknowledge the existence of the supernatural for which there’s no substantive evidence. Any “miraculous” occurrence (whether attributed to the Blue Fairy or a god) will have a natural explanation. Even the most unlikely explanation is more probable than explaining it away as god-did-it, or in your case the Blue Fairy-did-it.

No, it's accepting reality rather than tenuously justifying what one wants to believe in, i.e. 'wishful thinking'.
                          Therefore you were lying when you said you would accept verifiable evidence for God. You would not accept any evidence for God. You are not open minded in the least.

Comment

Therefore you were lying when you said you would accept verifiable evidence for God. You would not accept any evidence for God. You are not open minded in the least.
                            The only reason that you say that you would accept verifiable evidence of there being no god is because you know that there is neither verifiable evidence for or against gods existence. The only point therefore is that it is you believers who are making the unsubstantiated claim, ergo it is only you believers who need to provide the evidence for your claim. If you can't do that, which obviously you can't, no such verifiable evidence exists, then it is a silly question to ask us if we would accept verifiable evidence for gods existence.

Comment

The only reason that you say that you would accept verifiable evidence of there being no god is because you know that there is neither verifiable evidence for or against gods existence. The only point therefore is that it is you believers who are making the unsubstantiated claim, ergo it is only you believers who need to provide the evidence for your claim. If you can't do that, which obviously you can't, no such verifiable evidence exists, then it is a silly question to ask us if we would accept verifiable evidence for gods existence.
                              so there is no verifiable evidence against there being God or against Christianity? And you are admitting that, here on Tweb?

Comment

so there is no verifiable evidence against there being God or against Christianity? And you are admitting that, here on Tweb?
                                Don't get excited there Sparky, the more important point is that there is no verifiable evidence for god, including the god of Christianity.

Comment