Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Bill Nye The Idiot Guy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Starlight View Post
    I seem to recall one of the nutty conservatives on this site was arguing that lesbian women were immensely promiscuous. Can't remember if it was you, MM, or Adrift. It seems like you guys can't even agree among yourselves on a day to day basis as to which particular false claims you want to smear gay people with. Sad!
    I never made any such argument, and I can't remember Mountain Man ever making that argument either. Seems you can't remember what arguments people make on this forum, and the fictions you pull from your behind.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
      I never made any such argument, and I can't remember Mountain Man ever making that argument either. Seems you can't remember what arguments people make on this forum, and the fictions you pull from your behind.
      I've made the opposite argument, so that's 0/3
      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        Thanks for confirming what I said about you.

You can't help it can you?
        You can remain as smug as you like. But, apart from coming up with an improbable list of imaginary "miracles" (as though that was an argument), you have not shown that there's a logically coherent alternative to materialism. So why should I take you seriously?

Comment

• all I did was show that you are so closed-minded that it was not discussing any evidence with you, since you would reject God himself appearing to you.

Comment

all I did was show that you are so closed-minded that it was not discussing any evidence with you, since you would reject God himself appearing to you.
            No,all you did was provide a list of imaginary miracles (such as god appearing before me), as though that was an argument. It's not. Hypothetical scenarios are not substantive evidence. One can do the same with any fanciful entities. Humans have been creating imaginary divinities for millennia.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
              No,all you did was provide a list of imaginary miracles (such as god appearing before me), as though that was an argument. It's not. Hypothetical scenarios are not substantive evidence. One can do the same with any fanciful entities. Humans have been creating imaginary divinities for millennia.
              Reading comprehension?
              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                Reading comprehension?
                Well argued!

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                  You seem to have trouble understanding hypotheticals. Not surprising at all.

It was not evidence. It was "what level of evidence would it take for Tassman to overcome his innate skepticism?" You kept demanding evidence, so I wanted to see if any form of evidence would be sufficient. I offered a scenario with overwhelming proof (God talking to you directly and bringing back someone of your choosing back to life and it being verified by other people) and not even that was good enough, even hypothetically.

So you if are so close-minded that even God himself cannot convince you, then your constant request for "evidence" is a sham. You won't accept anything presented. You are wasting our time.

Comment

You seem to have trouble understanding hypotheticals. Not surprising at all.

It was not evidence. It was "what level of evidence would it take for Tassman to overcome his innate skepticism?" You kept demanding evidence, so I wanted to see if any form of evidence would be sufficient.

Comment

• Last time I looked, the hypothesised multi-verse could adequately provide the possibility.
                      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                      Scripture before Tradition:
                      but that won't prevent others from
                      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• You're the one who has the burden to prove that a supernatural realm is logically incoherent, not the other way around.

Comment

• and I even gave you that in the hypothetical. Verifiable evidence that God brought back a loved one of your choosing and you still said you would not believe.

Just admit it Tassman, you would not believe in God no matter what the evidence. You could not even give me an EXAMPLE of what the evidence would need to be to convince you.

Comment

• And even if you had that - what would you do with it? Suppose you had all that - how would you approach what comes next. Would you try to go about your life ignoring this God/gods, would you try to connect with it somehow. If you could figure out how to communicate with the God you proved exists, or this realm you showed was real - would you? Would you be afraid of it? After all, what guarantees are there that this realm you found out existed is benevolent? Indeed, we have a lot of sci-fi literature and stories where the 'alternative' universe that prompts people to believe in God/gods turns out to be quite like our own - and quite dangerous to our survival.

Of course - right now you live on the side where there is no scientific objective proof and you just think it's all hooey. But I'm curious what you think you'd do if you could in fact cross that bridge and find out what you think is all hooey is in fact at least to some extent real.

Jim
                            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

and I even gave you that in the hypothetical. Verifiable evidence that God brought back a loved one of your choosing and you still said you would not believe.
                              reallyreally
                              Just admit it Tassman, you would not believe in God no matter what the evidence. You could not even give me an EXAMPLE of what the evidence would need to be to convince you.
                              Poor Sparko, ever determined to blame me for not believing in your supernatural crap, when the actual reason is that there is no verifiable evidence for believing in it. Over the centuries, every phenomenon of initially "supernatural" mysteriousness has succumbed to an uncontroversial explanation within the field of physical science. And there is little doubt that all of your fanciful scenarios would also have a natural explanation..

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                                And even if you had that - what would you do with it? Suppose you had all that - how would you approach what comes next.
                                Would you try to go about your life ignoring this God/gods, would you try to connect with it somehow. If you could figure out how to communicate with the God you proved exists, or this realm you showed was real - would you? Would you be afraid of it? After all, what guarantees are there that this realm you found out existed is benevolent? Indeed, we have a lot of sci-fi literature and stories where the 'alternative' universe that prompts people to believe in God/gods turns out to be quite like our own - and quite dangerous to our survival.
                                See above.

Of course - right now you live on the side where there is no scientific objective proof and you just think it's all hooey. But I'm curious what you think you'd do if you could in fact cross that bridge and find out what you think is all hooey is in fact at least to some extent real. Jim
                                Exactly!

Comment