Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Bill Nye The Idiot Guy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by seer View Post
    Well James, it is your very soul that is at stake... You are brave and rebellious now, but who knows what dread will enter your heart on that long dark night as you shuffle off this mortal coil...
    Thanks seer, but I think you fear to much. Who knows indeed? No one knows, so there is nothing to fear. What is most likely to be the case is that there is no such thing as a soul, or spirit, and that our material bodies will return to dust when we die. Thats all there is to it. If god does exist, so what, I don't base how I behave on the promised rewards of a diety and if I did he/she/it would probably, and ought to, give me the boot for being a fraud.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
      Thanks seer, but I think you fear to much. Who knows indeed? No one knows, so there is nothing to fear. What is most likely to be the case is that there is no such thing as a soul, or spirit, and that our material bodies will return to dust when we die. Thats all there is to it. If god does exist, so what, I don't base how I behave on the promised rewards of a diety and if I did he/she/it would probably, and ought to, give me the boot for being a fraud.
      Ok...
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
        Of course, if we expect the creator of the universe to do tricks for us, like he's our pet Schnauzer, we may be in for a rude awakening.
        Then why did He promise exactly that in Matthew 18:19 and promise to heal the sick in Mark 16:18? It is understandable if people read those passages and expect God to deliver on His promises.

Studies like the Benson paper show that you can't make the creator of the universe jump through your hoops.
        Studies like that also show that God has precisely the same impact as the IPU.

Let's put the shoe on the other foot. What's your scientific evidence for the traditional views on reincarnation, Karma, total enlightenment and Buddhist cosmology?
        I cannot remember your past lives for you. Read Chapter 13 of the Visuddhimagga where you will find the instructions for remembering: "So a bhikkhu who is a beginner and wants to recollect in this way should ..." That will also give you some insight into karma. For enlightenment, again that is something you have to do for yourself. You can talks to people who are enlightened. There have been some studies of the effects of meditation, though I do not know if the people involved were enlightened.

Buddhist cosmology has good points and bad points. Like all Indian religions, it knows that stars are actually other suns a very very long way away, and that those suns are associated with their own set of planets. As with most ancient texts, the sun is said to orbit the earth (and other suns to orbit their equivalent of the earth). Mount Meru prevents us calling the earth "flat" but it does not actually exist. In geography, the general shape of India (a triangle) and of south China (part of a circle) was known.

rossum

Comment

• Originally posted by rossum View Post
          Then why did He promise exactly that in Matthew 18:19 and promise to heal the sick in Mark 16:18? It is understandable if people read those passages and expect God to deliver on His promises.
          That has already been explained to you. Also, scholars believe that Mark 16:18 is likely a latter addition.

Originally posted by rossum View Post
          Studies like that also show that God has precisely the same impact as the IPU.

Any study that starts with wrong premises is doomed to failure.

I cannot remember your past lives for you. Read Chapter 13 of the Visuddhimagga where you will find the instructions for remembering: "So a bhikkhu who is a beginner and wants to recollect in this way should ..." That will also give you some insight into karma. For enlightenment, again that is something you have to do for yourself. You can talks to people who are enlightened. There have been some studies of the effects of meditation, though I do not know if the people involved were enlightened.

Buddhist cosmology has good points and bad points. Like all Indian religions, it knows that stars are actually other suns a very very long way away, and that those suns are associated with their own set of planets. As with most ancient texts, the sun is said to orbit the earth (and other suns to orbit their equivalent of the earth). Mount Meru prevents us calling the earth "flat" but it does not actually exist. In geography, the general shape of India (a triangle) and of south China (part of a circle) was known.
          Lot of words to say "there is no scientific evidence for these things I believe in".

Comment

That is possible, but in the UK we have had more people killed or injured by Christian terrorism than by Muslim terrorism. By picking and choosing examples we can show almost anything. I can show Buddhists killing Christians and I can show Christians killing Buddhists. Many other pairs of religions can show the same.
            This is a red herring, basically anyone can claim to be following a Religion but selectively modify or reject its tenets. Christian faith recognizes this directly as the intrinsic nature of evil in mankind, to the point that evil will attempt to disguise itself as percieved good to achieve its purpose. Romans 8, and Jesus' references to Wolves in Sheep's clothing.

Erm... Please read the entry next to "Faith:" at the top left of my posts.
            I was a bit confused by that in that you seem to be making statements more like I would expect from someone in an agnostic or atheistic position. I attributed it to my relative unfamiliarity with Buddhism or some individual variance in your own application of that faith. So I went with the implications of your words in our conversation as opposed to that declaration.

A limit on the power of the omnipotent God?

rossum
            Not in the sense you imply. A chosen limit would be a better way of saying it. God responds to faith. A lack of faith can hinder or prevents a response.

Jim
            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Oh Sparko, you so funny!
              1 cor 1:18 The message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                Lot of words to say "there is no scientific evidence for these things I believe in".
                You do not believe that stars are actually distant suns with their own sets of planets? Very strange. There is also evidence of the effects of meditation: Buddhists 'really are happier'.

rossum

Comment

You do not believe that stars are actually distant suns with their own sets of planets? Very strange.
                  You honestly read that into what I said?

Out pure curiousity, would you mind citing the Buddhist text you're referring to that discusses stars and planets? And just to be clear, what I was referring to by cosmology had more to do with the 31 planes of existence. Is it your understanding, though, that the cosmology we find in Buddhist writings align with modern science?

There is also evidence of the effects of meditation: Buddhists 'really are happier'.
                  No doubt. Christianity embraces meditation as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    1 cor 1:18 The message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.
                    Yes, I know, it isn't foolishness as far as you are concerned. Actually I don't think that it is actually foolishness either, I just believe that the message that you get from it is the message seen by the immature and the meek. There is an alternative message, which has nothing to do with the eternal salvation message sought by the fearful.

Comment

Yes, I know, it isn't foolishness as far as you are concerned. Actually I don't think that it is actually foolishness either, I just believe that the message that you get from it is the message seen by the immature and the meek. There is an alternative message, which has nothing to do with the eternal salvation message sought by the fearful.
                      I have no idea what you even said there.

Comment

I know you don't, thats the point.

Comment

It's his charming way of saying that you're immature, meek, and fearful.
                          Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                          sigpic
                          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                            It's his charming way of saying that you're immature, meek, and fearful.
                            Why didn't he just say so?

His post was unparsable.

Comment

Why didn't he just say so?

His post was unparsable.
                              The hilarious thing is that he thinks you didn't understand it because you're stupid.
                              Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I know you mean this as an insult, but Christ said:

"Let the little children come unto me ..."

"The meek shall inherit the Earth."

Just sayin ...

Jim
                                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment