Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Now They Are Going After Breastfeeding...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
    Not a useful term though. Wearing clothing isn't natural. Flying in planes isn't natural. Numerous poisonous plants are natural. There's a current fad in alternative medicine where "natural" is used as a synonym for 'good' to try and sell products of dubious medical value. AFAICT the authors mentioned in the OP are totally fine with breast-feeding, they just give a variety of reasons that the word 'natural' is a poor marketing choice in promoting it.
    I've seen people use the term 'natural' to excuse all kinds of progressive behavior.
    For example: Having multiple sexual partners is seen all throughout the animal kingdom. It is natural.

Now just because others use it that way doesn't mean you use it that way.
    Can we expect that in the future you won't be using the term natural to market your behavior?

That aside, I think if you believe that evolution has given advantages to breast feeding that the term natural really is a solid selling point.
    Why not say, "Hey idiot, nature provided this really excellent way to ensure health for your kid. How about you do that?"

Precisely. I am a progressive because I am a scientist.
    Then do society a huge favor and OWN the terminology.
    Don't let nitwit feminists color the term natural with their baggage.
    Breast feeding is natural, it should be promoted as natural, they can go hang themselves.

Stop letting idiots change the meaning of words.
    Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
      Fixed for you (also Leonhard), limpwristed ''''''moderate''''' who only squeaks at wrongs of progressives but thunders against conservatives!!!
      LOL. I'm getting dinged by a commie lover that I'm not criticizing liberals hard enough.
      Middle-of-the-road swing voter. Feel free to sway my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Yttrium View Post
        LOL. I'm getting dinged by a commie lover

Russia is no longer commie. Plus I've called out Sell-out Sanders lots of times!!!
        Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Russia is no longer commie.
          Give your boy Putin a little more time

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
            Not a useful term though. Wearing clothing isn't natural. Flying in planes isn't natural. Numerous poisonous plants are natural. There's a current fad in alternative medicine where "natural" is used as a synonym for 'good' to try and sell products of dubious medical value. AFAICT the authors mentioned in the OP are totally fine with breast-feeding, they just give a variety of reasons that the word 'natural' is a poor marketing choice in promoting it.

I guess rather than being in the "alternative facts" crowd of Kellyanne Conway, I prefer to be in what Karl Rove derisively termed the "reality-based community".

Precisely. I am a progressive because I am a scientist.
            hey scientist. Breastfeeding is evolutionarilly designed to be healthy for the infant. Evolution designed it to be the way infants get their nourishment and their immune system. that is what makes it "natural" - to argue that it may not be healthy so we should not use the word 'natural' is stoopid.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              Give your boy Putin a little more time
              Look to own country of yours, where crazy commie Sanders was serious contender.
              Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Look to own country of yours, where crazy commie Sanders was serious contender.
                Bernie was a serious contender for the same reason Trump was a serious contender: Hillary was just that horrible of a candidate.
                You could have put an eggplant up against Hillary and it would get 25% of the vote.
                Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
                  Hillary was just that horrible of a candidate.
                  You can say that again.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    You can say that again.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                      I think so, too!
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        I think so, too!

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                          But, fact is, Hillary was a horrible candidate.

Comment

Originally posted by kiwimac View Post
                            I accessed the journal Abstract:

This is what the authors wrote therein: " . . .Medical and public health organizations recommend that mothers exclusively breastfeed for at least 6 months. This recommendation is based on evidence of health benefits for mothers and babies, as well as developmental benefits for babies. A spate of recent work challenges the extent of these benefits, and ethical criticism of breastfeeding promotion as stigmatizing is also growing.[1] Building on this critical work, we are concerned about breastfeeding promotion that praises breastfeeding as the “natural” way to feed infants. This messaging plays into a powerful perspective that “natural” approaches to health are better, a view examined in a recent report by the Nuffield Council on Bioethics.[2] Promoting breastfeeding as “natural” may be ethically problematic, and, even more troublingly, it may bolster this belief that “natural” approaches are presumptively healthier. This may ultimately challenge public health’s aims in other contexts, particularly childhood vaccination. . ."

I can see what they are saying, I wonder if there were not better ways to say it. However, Academic freedom of speech means that they have every right to raise these concerns.
                            Um... but it is natural and does have a number of benefits for the child. If people get their nose out of joint when confronting this fact then that's their problem.

And now I'm reminded of one of my favorite jokes:

A medical student was taking an exam, and one of the questions was, "Name three benefits of breast feeding."

The student quickly wrote:

"1) It's free.
                            "2) It promotes healthy growth in the child."

Then he pondered for a few moments before writing:

"3) It comes in attractive packaging of varying sizes."
                            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I heard that some don't like that breastfeeding supposedly means that only the mom can feed the baby. Have they never heard of breast pumps? They make it so anyone can feed the baby a bottle of breastmilk.
                              If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

I'm enjoying watching science collapse before the throne of political correctness.
                                The boys in lab coats are still the little wimps we pushed around in high school.

Comment