Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sex in New Creation

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Marriage only applies until death. The fact that people never die therefore makes marriage obsolete.

Banned
    Faith
    Xtian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Remonstrant View Post
    It is quite interesting that you should initiate a thread touching on this subject, Paprika. I posted a thread sometime in 2012 (I believe) regarding this same basic subject on T-Web in its former state (well before the site crashed in mid-2013).
    Thanks. I'll see if I can dig it up in the Wayback Archives.
    I am not meaning to insinuate that sexual relations in general are "unclean" (especially between a believing husband and wife). I am merely noting that sexual relations will not be present in the Kingdom in the coming age. This observation can only lead me to conclude that God instituted marriage as a temporary construct (albeit a sacred one). The ultimate marriage union is between Christ and the Church (cf. Ephesians 5:31,32). Believers are presently betrothed to Christ (2 Corinthians 11:2) and are awaiting the Groom's return to take his Bride for himself (Revelation 19:6-10).
    Agreed. The union between husband and wife (amongst other things) appears to be a signpost(?), in a sense, of Christ and the church. (I can't think of a good word).

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paprika View Post
    Thanks. I'll see if I can dig it up in the Wayback Archives.
    I'm afraid you will not be able to find it. They were unable to recover the data. (I asked Cerebrum123 this a couple of months ago.)

Quote Originally Posted by Paprika View Post
    Agreed. The union between husband and wife (amongst other things) appears to be a signpost(?), in a sense, of Christ and the church. (I can't think of a good word).
    Perhaps we may refer to the marriage union between a man and a woman to be a type or an illustration of believers' union to Christ (which will not be fully realized until Jesus returns).

In the Genesis account, woman is created in order that man may have a suitable companion in the Garden. None of the animals could fulfill this role. Ultimately, it would appear the woman was created in order to bring man closer to God (she is referred to as man's "helper"), but as it turned out, Adam chose allegiance to Eve over the Creator when he imitated her disobedience. Unfortunately, this pattern of preferring the creature to the Creator has been repeating itself throughout human history ever since (Romans 1:18ff.).
    For Neo-Remonstration (Arminian/Remonstrant ruminations): <https://theremonstrant.blogspot.com>

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Christianbookworm View Post
    Isn't the main purpose for sex reproduction? That function would be unnecessary if no one ever died.
    It would seem best to think of sexual relations between a man and a woman primarily in terms of forming the closest human intimacy possible by the two becoming united in flesh (and, optimally, in heart and mind as well). This is when the "oneness" of a husband and a wife is to be formed and reach its climax (in quite a literal fashion, actually). It seems a mistake to me to view sex as primarily a means of reproduction (although it certainly is the vehicle for that). Sexual intercourse between a husband and a wife establishes the man's close bond with the woman (and vice versa), first and foremost. The temporary institution of marriage is to reflect Christ's love for the Church and her reverential submission to him for his great self-sacrificial love for her.
    Last edited by The Remonstrant; 03-27-2014 at 08:35 AM.
    For Neo-Remonstration (Arminian/Remonstrant ruminations): <https://theremonstrant.blogspot.com>

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Isn't the main purpose for sex reproduction? That function would be unnecessary if no one ever died.
    The Bible states that the purpose of sexual union is that the two become one flesh. Procreation is not the principal aim of marriage, for all that it is important.
    Genesis cites the reason for creating both genders, and again, that reason is not based on procreation.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by tabibito View Post
    The Bible states that the purpose of sexual union is that the two become one flesh. Procreation is not the principal aim of marriage, for all that it is important.
    Genesis cites the reason for creating both genders, and again, that reason is not based on procreation.
    Yes (cf. message #24 above).

Undergraduate
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I think that humans need pleasure just as God does. God's pleasure is in our acts of righteousness, when we glorify him (worship), basically in His children. But He created us to need pleasure as well, and although we can argue that our pleasure should come from fulfilling our covenant to God, and will most likely be incredibly enhanced in in the coming age, having a strong desire to glory God. I think that it is a well upheld argument to assert that the spirit is tied to the flesh, having fleshly desires because of the temple, but these desires are not necessarily sinful, because nothing is unclean in itself. If we get new bodies, that doesn't mean much changes, we will still be within flesh, our image, the image of God, it will be a glorified flesh. The desires of our flesh will be intact, other-wise God would be reshaping His creation to obey His will, not likely. Humans are wired with a desire for sex, it will most likely be apart of the coming age, humans will still be in need of each other, opposites of course, because they will be in flesh. Jesus said we are to become like angels, but they can still rebel against God, they still had fleshly desires toward the women on earth in Gen 6 (just wait til they see the glorified women). If we are to be like angels, we will have the same struggles they have.
    Last edited by IamLives; 03-28-2014 at 09:31 PM.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Are you saying that people will have desires and get married, or that people will have sex without marriage, or that people will have desires they cannot satisfy?

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Did Adam and Eve marry in the traditional sense we call marriage? My understanding is that once God "resets" the world, everything will go back to the situation in the garden of Eden before the fall (a la Rev 22).

tWebber
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seanD View Post
    Did Adam and Eve marry in the traditional sense we call marriage? My understanding is that once God "resets" the world, everything will go back to the situation in the garden of Eden before the fall (a la Rev 22).
    In the OT, sexual intercourse was tantamount to marriage. If that is true in the New Earth, and if there's no marriage in the New Earth, then there's no sexual intercourse either. A lot of "ifs" there of course. This does not appear to be a topic that God cares for us to know much about.