Announcement

Collapse

Comparative Religions 101 Guidelines

Welcome to Comp Religions, this is where the sights and sounds of the many world religions come together in a big World's Fair type atmosphere, without those delicious funnel cakes.

World Religions is a theist only type place, but that does not exclude certain religionists who practice non-theistic faiths ala Buddhism. If you are not sure, ask a moderator.

This is not a place where we argue the existence / non-existence of God.

And as usual, the forum rules apply.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Why are Orthodox and Catholic Cathedrals not counted as "Megachurches"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are Orthodox and Catholic Cathedrals not counted as "Megachurches"?

So why don't RC or EO or Anglican churches for that matter that can seat thousands of parishioners not count as "Megachurches" is it solely a protestant phoeomina?

Originally posted by setsurinvich View Post
    So why don't RC or EO or Anglican churches for that matter that can seat thousands of parishioners not count as "Megachurches" is it solely a protestant phoeomina?
    I think atleast some of it has to do with the kind of charismatic "personality" preachers (like Joel Osteen) that lead these megachurches. You don't find that phenomenon in RC, EO or Anglican churches, atleast not to my knowledge.

Comment

Same reason you can get thousands to a rock concert or hockey game, but not that many to a Bible study.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

AFAICS, "megachurches" tend to grow up around a massively popular preacher (and are a very recent phenomenon). Liturgical churches tend not to be based around preaching, so there's less opportunity for that - and the massive RC/EO/Anglican cathedrals take so long to build that it's just not practical to build one for a popular bishop or priest.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I wonder if this exists in non Christian religions as well ....I think sokkai gokkai Buddhism follows a similar pattern with their mega temples

Comment

I wonder if this exists in non Christian religions as well ....I think sokkai gokkai Buddhism follows a similar pattern with their mega temples
            Meanwhile, might I politely suggest you check out forum rules, as this is a theist only forum.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              Meanwhile, might I politely suggest you check out forum rules, as this is a theist only forum.
              Well I didn't know how to describe my beliefs so I put agnostic. I will have to describe it better I guess

Comment

Well RC and EO churches are huge many times they have over 1000 members but......they are based on believing in correct worship practice regardless of the Reverand. And there isn't the "feel good" worship of some protestant mega churches
                A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                  Well RC and EO churches are huge many times they have over 1000 members but......they are based on believing in correct worship practice regardless of the Reverand. And there isn't the "feel good" worship of some protestant mega churches
                  Well, that, and the GUILT that if you don't go to the only RIGHT Church (the Catholic Church) you will burn in hell.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    Well, that, and the GUILT that if you don't go to the only RIGHT Church (the Catholic Church) you will burn in hell.

A Catholic dies and goes to heaven, and after St. Peter greets him at the pearly gates, he takes him on a tour of heaven. Along the way, they come to a mansion with all the doors and windows boarded up. "What's up with that place?" the Catholic asks. St. Peter replies, "Oh, that's the Baptists. They don't think anyone else is here."

Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                      A Catholic dies and goes to heaven
                      A MIRACLE!!!

(sorry)

and after St. Peter greets him at the pearly gates, he takes him on a tour of heaven. Along the way, they come to a mansion with all the doors and windows boarded up. "What's up with that place?" the Catholic asks. St. Peter replies, "Oh, that's the Baptists. They don't think anyone else is here."

Yes, I often tell that same joke, but "they think they're the only ones here"....

But I tell it to reinforce the fact that "denomination" doesn't save you.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X