Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

A Series On A Violent God

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
    I'm just going to look at description of videos from link of rodent, and

No, it's culture conditioning of people now that don't allow God to be portrayed as violent.

Why are moderns such special special people?? 'Those ancient people all culturally conditioned, but we specially Enlightened '
    Pacifism (which is the lens through which Greg Boyd is approaching the OT) is not necessarily a modern concept. I believe Amazing Rando did an extensive study on the Church Fathers exploring their views on it.

I disagree with Boyd more over his open theism than his pacifism, FWIW.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I've listened to the first two messages. Here's my 'hot take'

So far, his argument seems to be the the OT was God accommodating to the perspectives of the people of the time. So, they kind of expected a God who would tell them to destroy their enemies etc etc, and God 'went along with that' so as to build a relationship and move them to a place where they could accept His real nature (non-violent). He seems to argue that the NT Jesus is the real depiction of what God is like, and the OT is an accommodation.

I think this argument is vulnerable to a few challenges:

(1) It assumes that the NT Jesus 'meek and mild' is the totality of who Jesus is - that Jesus would never be violent towards God's enemies. I think this is debatable.

(2) It assumes that the NT is the 'real God' and the OT an accommodation, but couldn't we reverse the argument and say that the OT is the real one and the NT an accommodation? How would we know which is which?

(3) I feel that (so far) Boyd kind of glides over proving that the OT God is as violent as he implies. I think a deeper look at the context would be helpful, but maybe a sermon series is not the place for that. Glenn Miller's Christian Thinktank is quite helpful for that.
      ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
        I've listened to the first two messages. Here's my 'hot take'

So far, his argument seems to be the the OT was God accommodating to the perspectives of the people of the time. So, they kind of expected a God who would tell them to destroy their enemies etc etc, and God 'went along with that' so as to build a relationship and move them to a place where they could accept His real nature (non-violent). He seems to argue that the NT Jesus is the real depiction of what God is like, and the OT is an accommodation.

I think this argument is vulnerable to a few challenges:

(1) It assumes that the NT Jesus 'meek and mild' is the totality of who Jesus is - that Jesus would never be violent towards God's enemies. I think this is debatable.

(2) It assumes that the NT is the 'real God' and the OT an accommodation, but couldn't we reverse the argument and say that the OT is the real one and the NT an accommodation? How would we know which is which?

(3) I feel that (so far) Boyd kind of glides over proving that the OT God is as violent as he implies. I think a deeper look at the context would be helpful, but maybe a sermon series is not the place for that. Glenn Miller's Christian Thinktank is quite helpful for that.
        From what I see of the two books (just skimming them) they appear to go into a great bit of detail.
        I see the video series as an introduction to the topic.
        I think you should join us on July 1st.
        Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
          A different take on the problem of the Old Testament God vs. the New Testament God.
          A four part video series by Greg Boyd
          http://whchurch.org/sermons-media/se...cross-centered

Definitely worth consideration.
          From summary of first video of link of yours:

Something similar is going on with the violent portraits of God in the Old Testament. Because Greg trusts the character of Shelley, he can imagine that something else going on. If he did not fully trust his wife's character, then he would assume that her violent acts on the street are part of her character. The same applies to our view of God. If we don't see that the cross is the center of God's character, then we are forced to conclude that the violent portraits of God actually reveal his character. If we really trust that God is revealed to us in Jesus Christ who died on the cross, then we can see that something else really is going on in the depictions of God being violent.
          Except that cross is not just about love, also sacrifice but also violent judgment by God! So this is coherent with 'OT God'. QED!!!
          Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Demi,
            If you'd like to join us on July 1st you'd be welcome; however, you'll have to meet the requirements to participate in the discussion.
            This issue is too important for me to take input from those who cannot get past a summary.

Thanks,
            Meh Gerbil
            Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Demi,
              If you'd like to join us on July 1st you'd be welcome; however, you'll have to meet the requirements to participate in the discussion.
              This issue is too important for me to take input from those who cannot get past a summary.

Thanks,
              Meh Gerbil
              The problem is that it's obvious from the summaries alone that it would be a complete waste of time. Not only does he not seem to cover any new ground, the material is blatantly heretical.
              "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Demi,

Thanks,
                Meh Gerbil
                I agree that this issue is important so it boggles the mind that you want to limit people solely to those who have read some guy's take on it (that isn't even original, it's typical pacifist boilerplate). It sounds more like this topic is too important for you to have your mind changed on so you set up a ridiculous barrier that ensures only like-minded people will participate.
                "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                  I agree that this issue is important so it boggles the mind that you want to limit people solely to those who have read some guy's take on it (that isn't even original, it's typical pacifist boilerplate). It sounds more like this topic is too important for you to have your mind changed on so you set up a ridiculous barrier that ensures only like-minded people will participate.
                  I've not made up my mind on the issue.
                  This is the first I've seen of this particular theory.

Comment

@Mr. MG

I hope you make a 'Lite' thread later for a more open discussion on this. It's unlikely I would participate in either thread, but surely more TWebbers would than in your official one, and it would make an interesting read later. I understand you want people interested in all the material the author in question presents, but for the sake of ideas, I personally hope you (or anyone else, for that matter) make such a thread at some point.
                    We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore on Christ's behalf: 'Be reconciled to God!!'
                    - 2 Corinthians 5:20.
                    In deviantArt: ll-bisto-ll.deviantart.com
                    Christian art and more: Christians.deviantart.com

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                      Darth, start a thread on the subject and do not limit participation.
                      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Bisto View Post
                        @Mr. MG

I hope you make a 'Lite' thread later for a more open discussion on this. It's unlikely I would participate in either thread, but surely more TWebbers would than in your official one, and it would make an interesting read later. I understand you want people interested in all the material the author in question presents, but for the sake of ideas, I personally hope you (or anyone else, for that matter) make such a thread at some point.
                        I recommended that Darth start such a thread. Perhaps you can do it before he does.
                        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Bisto View Post
                          @Mr. MG

I imagine two threads will run side by side.
                          I'm not against discussing it at various levels but I'd like to get past the feces hurling point in the more serious thread.
                          You know how TWEB can get.

Comment

Boyd has written extensively about the issue already and I think one can easily get the gist of large chunks of his argument without three hours of watching videos (reading is a much faster way of learning).
                            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I've not made up my mind on the issue.
                              This is the first I've seen of this particular theory.
                              really? because i distinctly remember you presenting the same ideas well over a year ago

Comment

Demi,
                                Don't think I have time to watch all those.

Anyway, you should be okay with Darth to save you from becoming vegetarian pacifist treehugging hippy!!
                                Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment