Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

$70 million sanctuary - excessive or good investment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $70 million sanctuary - excessive or good investment?

A large church that is actually along my way to work is building a $70 million sanctuary, with the centerpiece being the 'world's largest stained glass window'. The pastor of the church has touted it as a tool to bring people in who may be curious about the structure. I have to admit this strikes me as being excessive, but others feel differently; that ornate church designs can be honoring to God. What do you all think?
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

If stained glass was all it took, the world would already be won for Christ.

If they wanna build it, it's their money to use - but if it's an evangelism tool it's an incredible waste of both time and money.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      A large church that is actually along my way to work is building a $70 million sanctuary, with the centerpiece being the 'world's largest stained glass window'. The pastor of the church has touted it as a tool to bring people in who may be curious about the structure. I have to admit this strikes me as being excessive, but others feel differently; that ornate church designs can be honoring to God. What do you all think?
      IMHO... A waste of money. But it's theirs to spend, so
      That's what
      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Nothing like being rich, increased with goods, and having need of nothing.
        When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
          If stained glass was all it took, the world would already be won for Christ.

If they wanna build it, it's their money to use - but if it's an evangelism tool it's an incredible waste of both time and money.
          Good point, there are plenty of spectacular cathedrals in Europe and not a whole lot of active Christianity.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

We need more put into evangelism. That money could have bought cs lewis, Kierkegaard, Chesterton and bibles. The church is failing in part because people dont even know what they are supposed to believe. Som e think they are christian just because of where they were born. Others dont even see yet that they are trapped in sin. I pray for the world. Satan truly is the greatest of liars because for all the shows like lucifer no one thinks he exist. Screwtape probably thinks those shows lucifer and preacher are great. Make the devil look unbelieveable so you wont acknowledge evil is in the screwtape letters.

I pray that he will come. That people may come to see that God lowered himself so that humanity could be saved. That God is not some idea, but the great teacher who is truth who wishes to see us saved.

Christians if they have artistic talent should use it to help build the church. Who knows it might do something but I think ultimately it will do little. If anything.
            sigpic

Comment

Here is a story on it:

http://fox4kc.com/2017/01/09/worlds-...eawood-church/

apparently the whole thing will have cost 90 Million when they are done. That's crazy!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                Here is a story on it:

http://fox4kc.com/2017/01/09/worlds-...eawood-church/

apparently the whole thing will have cost 90 Million when they are done. That's crazy!
                Interestingly, it's United Methodist.
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                  Okay, NOW I have an issue with it - but that has to do with how the UMC governs itself.
                  "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post

Yeah that's odd. usually megachurches are nondenominational or a lot of times "word of faith" - especially those that flaunt wealth.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                      It seems questionable. If the goal was to try to bring people in, surely there are more efficient ways to spend $70 million than having a mildly interesting structure built.

Comment

As long as there are sick and hungry I think the old fashion tent revivals are a better use of the money. It is hard to take in something spiritual when one is hungry. Some ministers know this. This is why when ministers go places like Africa they feed the people and also hand out bibles. In this I see Christ feeding the world through his people.

Comment

Moderator's notice: This section is only for Christian participation.

Comment

Excessive.
                            "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Entering the presence of Innocent II., before whom a large sum of money was spread out, the Pope observed, “You see, the Church is no longer in that age in which she said, ‘Silver and gold have I none.’”—“True, holy father,” replied Aquinas; “neither can she any longer say to the lame, ‘Rise up and walk.’”
                              1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                              Scripture before Tradition:
                              but that won't prevent others from
                              taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                              of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment