Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

$70 million sanctuary - excessive or good investment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If they had made the Church in the style of romanesque cathedrals I'd have called it money well spent glorifying God.

Comment

I'm reminded of the woman who poured excessively costly perfume at the feet of Jesus, and it was called an act of worship. Though Judas objected because the perfume could have been sold and donated to the poor.

That said I hardly see the reason to build churches *at all* in the United States. Surely there are enough buildings out there with dwindling congregations that could use the new members.

Comment

Originally posted by Jin-roh View Post
        That said I hardly see the reason to build churches *at all* in the United States. Surely there are enough buildings out there with dwindling congregations that could use the new members.
        Well, populations DO shift. In the Rust Belt though, yeah.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

While I stand by my earlier statements, I have an issue with this.

Methodism isn't as austere as it's Baptist brethren but we DO have an historic doctrine that condemns excessive ornamentation. Nothing wrong with building a beautiful church to God's glory - but if we aren't careful we start building to our own glory - which is wrong. As a result, Methodist churches are historically moderate in their ornamentation (yes, stained glass windows caused a ruckus back in the day).

A 70 million dollar facility strikes me as a really big ornament - and the question is who does it glorify? This is pushing the envelop of Methodism more than a little which brings the question into play.

As an evangelism tool, it's a non-starter - pretty buildings don't make disciples.
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
            As an evangelism tool, it's a non-starter - pretty buildings don't make disciples.
            I dunno - Hagia Sophia seems to have mightily impressed the Rus (though ceremony certainly played a part in that as well).
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

? I'm trying but I don't remember that from Russian history...
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                Well, populations DO shift. In the Rust Belt though, yeah.
                Populations shifting in what sense?

Comment

I think he means to places that don't already have a bunch of big empty buildings.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I think he means to places that don't already have a bunch of big empty buildings.
                    Still, it's hard to believe in a nation as historically and deeply Christian as the United States that there would truly be much of anywhere that lacks sufficient churches for its Christian populace.

Though I'm speak from LA county, of course. We've had plenty of migration in, and still plenty of empty churches.

I do not understand church planting here at all.

Comment

? I'm trying but I don't remember that from Russian history...
                      Prince Vladimir ostensibly send emissaries to check out other religions (early 10th century) to see which he'd consider picking. His emissaries to Constantinople said of the liturgy in Hagia Sophia "we did not know whether we were on earth or in heaven."

sigpic

Comment

Prince Vladimir ostensibly send emissaries to check out other religions (early 10th century) to see which he'd consider picking. His emissaries to Constantinople said of the liturgy in Hagia Sophia "we did not know whether we were on earth or in heaven."
                        Also Christians could drink. That helped. :-)

Comment

Also Christians could drink. That helped. :-)
                          Well, he checked out Rome and the Jews as well as Islam.

sigpic

Comment

Well, he checked out Rome and the Jews as well as Islam.
                            Bacon, beer, and liturgy so sublime you may transcended this mortal realm. Christianity wins!

Comment

Oh yeah! I read that a few months ago, actually - in a book about Vikings...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Still, it's hard to believe in a nation as historically and deeply Christian as the United States that there would truly be much of anywhere that lacks sufficient churches for its Christian populace.

Though I'm speak from LA county, of course. We've had plenty of migration in, and still plenty of empty churches.

I do not understand church planting here at all.
                                Church planting is a different animal from church building. We need more planting - the establishment of new congregations - and less building of lovely edifices with empty pews.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment