Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Killing in self defense should be illegal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That sounds reasonable.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The main problem with the notion of self-defense is it imposes on justice, for everyone has the right for a fair trial. Therefore, using a firearm to defend oneself is not legal because if the attacker is killed, he or she is devoid of his or her rights.

I have the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness -- which can summarily be taken away from me if I do NOT defend myself -- by lethal means if necessary.

(I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6)
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Did we reach a consensus about gunning someone down in cold blood for stealing a parking spot?
        Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
          Did we reach a consensus about gunning someone down in cold blood for stealing a parking spot?
          I think, in that case, you can execute the vehicle, but only beat the driver severely about the head and shoulders with a sock full of nickels.

Comment

Apparently Gerbil has already been beating up all of the people with the best parking spots. I just noticed that they are all handicapped.

Comment

Now, now, would Jesus hurt or kill someone for causing Him a mild inconvenience? What would be the first century equivalent of someone taking the parking place you wanted anyways?
              If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post

Now, now, would Jesus hurt or kill someone for causing Him a mild inconvenience? What would be the first century equivalent of someone taking the parking place you wanted anyways?
                Getting the good pew in the temple.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  Getting the good pew in the temple.
                  The real reason why Jesus was clearing the temple.
                  Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
                    The real reason why Jesus was clearing the temple.
                    IIRC, the traders were in the place meant for Gentiles to pray, so...

For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

That means it's okay to beat the guys if you are making space for SOMEONE ELSE to park their car.

OIRA at its finest.
                    Last edited by Bisto; 05-01-2017, 09:46 PM.
                    We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore on Christ's behalf: 'Be reconciled to God!!'
                    - 2 Corinthians 5:20.
                    In deviantArt: ll-bisto-ll.deviantart.com
                    Christian art and more: Christians.deviantart.com

Comment

The article wasn't saying that killing in self defense should be illegal. It was arguing that the second amendment didn't give the right to have a gun for self defense. Granted, it phrased the argument pretty horribly, and the argument wasn't that great to begin with, but it wasn't arguing that killing in self defense, with or without a gun, should be illegal.

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post

Jesus rebuked the one person who tried to use force to defend him from actual physical harm, so take that as you will.
                        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                          Jesus rebuked the one person who tried to use force to defend him from actual physical harm, so take that as you will.
                          To save that person's life most likely. A single man offering armed resistance against soldiers would most likely have ended badly. Jesus just before this told his disciples to buy a sword for protection:

"What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

So, if you want to die on a cross, make sure your friends don't defend you.

Comment

Jesus explicitly told Peter that He had to die (I believe he referred to Peter as "Satan" for trying to convince Him not to), and Peter tried to interfere anyway, it had nothing to do with opposition on Jesus's behalf to self defense. After all, He allowed and expected his apostles to carry weapons.
                              "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Was that because it would interfere with His mission? He also told his disciples to sell their cloak and buy a sword.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment