Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Is The Antarctic Actually Cooling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
    Then how do you explain the image that Leonhard took from the paper?
    It's easy, he doesn't.

Seer is just playing games where he shifts topics and points, until he can find some minuscule inconsistency in climate change science he can harp on, and pretend that it changes the whole of the scientific consensus. He's does this same thing in other discussions where he pretends that he's open to a serious discussion when the reality is, he's already made-up his made, and just wants to play gotcha' games that's waste other peoples time.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
      I don't think they would even suggest that if this was limited to a few stations.
      But they are limited to exactly the stations in the report, and those stations were clustered exactly in the Figure I posted. I read the report, those were all their data sources. In Science articles like this, you have to show all your data sources without there being anything remaining. So those are it, and they're clustered the way they're clustered.

Saying you don't think they'd use such and such words if in fact, it wasn't the case, isn't exactly a good argument. At best you've shown that these particular scientists might be a bit more hyped up about their results than what skepticism warrents.

Comment

Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
        It's easy, he doesn't.

Seer is just playing games where he shifts topics and points, until he can find some minuscule inconsistency in climate change science he can harp on, and pretend that it changes the whole of the scientific consensus. He's does this same thing in other discussions where he pretends that he's open to a serious discussion when the reality is, he's already made-up his made, and just wants to play gotcha' games that's waste other peoples time.
        My apologies for the atrocious grammar. I've only had three hours sleep in two days due to the lack of power at my home from the recent storms in Texas.

Anyways, Seer, these threads are tiresome and pointless. Nobody here is going to have all the answers because none of us are experts in everything that is science, so you're bound to find something even people with scientific backgrounds will be unable to answer. I don't understand why the Antarctic Peninsula is cooling because I never needed to understand glacial dynamics, or the weather changes in the Arctic that result from global warming during my scientific education. What I do know is that the authors of this study have not suggested that this changes the bigger picture on climate change, that the world is not warming, and we are still seeing net ice loss in most places on the planet -- including Antarctica.

Climate science encompasses a whole spectrum of scientific fields coming together: geology, meteorology, thermal physics, glaciology, oceanography, ecology, etc. Most on here have little exposure to geophysics other than our own self study, so people like myself, Lenny, Roy, and Sylas are not really equipped to answer some of these questions beyond the basics. There are however many places on the web where throngs of real climate experts frequent like PhysicsForums.com. You could always try to get them to answer your questions, instead of playing these games where you simply poison the well.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
          Simply no. This is old turf addressed in previous threads. Antarctica is not warming as much as the rest of the world (See referenced maps), because its climate is isolated by circular currents and upper air jet streams, but it is warming.
          Shuny stay out of my thread...
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment