Tools, girl version

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
    Since CP copied me and no one will even read my thread, I'll just post this here.

I have used almost every tool in Mr. mossy's toolbox over the years. I have done electrician work, I've put furniture together, I've hung pictures, etc. I have NOT used a power saw. But I have used hand saws.

I use other tools, too.

"Sticks and string" for knitting, needles and thread for embroidery work, and recently all kinds of tools for cardmaking.
    Good on you SYT.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

I use a power saw. It is a track saw from Festool. I don't like working outside in the heat though, so I use it in the living room with a Festool dust extractor. Somehow, it doesn't bother the dog (although she's terrified of the low battery beep from the smoke detector). I also have a random orbital sander from the same company, which I also use with the dust extractor. I also have a:

bandsaw
      scroll saw
      lathe
      drill press
      sliding compound miter saw
      fixed base router (with an edge guide sub-base I had to make myself because it's an old hand-me-down that parts and accessories aren't available for anymore)
      high speed grinder
      knife maker's belt sander
      water cooled powered sharpening wheel (No, not a Tormek, sadly)
      two power drills (one battery operated and one plug-in)

I also have a lot of hand tools:

two hand drills
      #7 hand plane
      two block planes (one is low-angle)
      #33 plane (from Harbor Freight, so I had Ron Hock make a custom blade for it)
      a full set of violin maker's finger planes
      somewhere around a dozen gouges, almost a dozen chisels, and the same number of carving knives. Most of the knives and half the chisels I had to make myself for specific tasks
      two identical framing squares (I inherited one each from my grandfathers)
      some other assorted squares (my favorites are the marking gauge ones from Incra)
      I don't use any of my squares for gardening. I have gardening tools for gardening.

I also have two sewing machines. One I inherited from my maternal grandmother and the other from my paternal great-grandmother. The former is a modern-style electric from the 70's, the latter an antique treadle style. The treadle's cabinet has been missing for years, so one of these days I'm going to make a new one and get the machine into working shape.
      Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

I forgot about my sewing machine! And serger!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
          I use a power saw. It is a track saw from Festool. I don't like working outside in the heat though, so I use it in the living room with a Festool dust extractor. Somehow, it doesn't bother the dog (although she's terrified of the low battery beep from the smoke detector). I also have a random orbital sander from the same company, which I also use with the dust extractor. I also have a:

bandsaw
          scroll saw
          lathe
          drill press
          sliding compound miter saw
          fixed base router (with an edge guide sub-base I had to make myself because it's an old hand-me-down that parts and accessories aren't available for anymore)
          high speed grinder
          knife maker's belt sander
          water cooled powered sharpening wheel (No, not a Tormek, sadly)
          two power drills (one battery operated and one plug-in)

I also have a lot of hand tools:

two hand drills
          #7 hand plane
          two block planes (one is low-angle)
          #33 plane (from Harbor Freight, so I had Ron Hock make a custom blade for it)
          a full set of violin maker's finger planes
          somewhere around a dozen gouges, almost a dozen chisels, and the same number of carving knives. Most of the knives and half the chisels I had to make myself for specific tasks
          two identical framing squares (I inherited one each from my grandfathers)
          some other assorted squares (my favorites are the marking gauge ones from Incra)
          I don't use any of my squares for gardening. I have gardening tools for gardening.

I also have two sewing machines. One I inherited from my maternal grandmother and the other from my paternal great-grandmother. The former is a modern-style electric from the 70's, the latter an antique treadle style. The treadle's cabinet has been missing for years, so one of these days I'm going to make a new one and get the machine into working shape.
          Good on you also.

We had a couple in our church years ago that worked together building houses. That is they both did the carpentry and such. I see no reason that a woman could not use any tool a man could use.
          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by GJ
            I see no reason that a woman could not use any tool a man could use.
            I agree. Although I do better with smaller versions of tools such as hammers and screwdrivers. My hands are fairly small and it's hard for me to grasp larger tools.

I have a very dear friend who has done woodworking as both hobby and to make a living. She is a tiny thing, and I have great respect for her ability to use big power tools and man-sized tools with great skill. She has built cabinets and all kinds of wood furniture and kitchen cupboards and has laid floors and everything else you can think of.

A talented lady, indeed. And I taught her to cross-stitch.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
              I see no reason that a woman could not use any tool a man could use.
              And backward, and in high heels!
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I forgot about my sewing machine! And serger!
                I don't have a serger. I would like to have one, though.

Comment

I can mow the lawn. I can use an electric drill. Come to think of it, all the tools in the house are mine the hammers screw drivers, leatherman, pocket knives nails bolts etc..... I even do all the tool shopping, and I operate a gas and oil powered lawn mower and a weed eater. I can use a shovel and a hand tiller. Not in high heals though we have too many ticks. I apply deet before mowing. And sometimes I just let the landscape crew do it since I have 3 kids.
                  A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                  George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I don't have a serger. I would like to have one, though.
                    I think my wife would tell you that her serger was my best ever gift to her (not including, of course, my love, talent, warmth, charm... )
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      I think my wife would tell you that her serger was my best ever gift to her (not including, of course, my love, talent, warmth, charm... )

I don't use my serger as much as I thought I would when I got it.

Comment

I don't use my serger as much as I thought I would when I got it.

Same with Mrs CP -- but when it was new, she used the heck out of it!

Comment

A long time ago, I had a pair of cotton pajama bottoms from Old Navy that I completely wore out. When I could not have worn them one more time, I ripped out all the stitching and used the pieces of fabric to make a paper pattern. I buy flat bedsheets on clearance and make new pajama bottoms out of them, using the decorative edge of the sheet as the hem. That's about all I would use a serger for, but it would still be nice. I might do more with one if I had it.

Comment

A long time ago, I had a pair of cotton pajama bottoms from Old Navy that I completely wore out. When I could not have worn them one more time, I ripped out all the stitching and used the pieces of fabric to make a paper pattern. I buy flat bedsheets on clearance and make new pajama bottoms out of them, using the decorative edge of the sheet as the hem. That's about all I would use a serger for, but it would still be nice. I might do more with one if I had it.
                            That's why being a guy is so cool - we don't worry about pajama bottoms. Or tops.

Comment