Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: About 'clean' and 'unclean' animals

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

About 'clean' and 'unclean' animals

A friend of mine who is a Seventh Day Adventist led me to a pastor (I think he's called Jim Staley) who claimed that the unclean animals in Lev. 11 are unclean because they are, in general, bad for one's health if eaten. He claims this as part of his thesis that the levitical food code still applies in the NT.

This thread isn't meant to be about whether the food code applies or not, but rather about the specific claim of the difference for people's health of eating animals in one or the other group.

Now for some of the 'unclean' ones, I guess it's true (e.g. poisonous frogs or whatever), but I don't know if it applies to all the 'unclean' animals, or if some of the 'clean' ones can be bad for health too (ie carry a statistically significant amount of diseases too, or something like that). I post this in NatSci because IMO this is more a scientific question than else. I'm guessing this topic has been covered before and some of you guys may have looked into it at some point. Any input is appreciated.
    We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore on Christ's behalf: 'Be reconciled to God!!'
    - 2 Corinthians 5:20.
    In deviantArt: ll-bisto-ll.deviantart.com
    Christian art and more: Christians.deviantart.com

Theologyweb's Official Grandfather Jedidiah's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Sorry, I do not see this as a science related thread at all.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedidiah View Post
    Sorry, I do not see this as a science related thread at all.
    That's fine, I don't wish to treat the topic as science only anyway, since at its heart there's lots of other stuff (Bible interpretation, theology and whatnot)... but since this guy brought up that particular claim ('clean animals=good for human health, unclean animals=bad for human health'), and it sounds like a scientific question, I guess this was its place.

If this thread fits better in another sub-forum (Apologetics?), then I'm fine with it being moved . I do think that this particular part of the subject could be answered regardless of one's faith, so IMO it need not be a Christians-only sub-forum.
    We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore on Christ's behalf: 'Be reconciled to God!!'

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bisto View Post
    That's fine, I don't wish to treat the topic as science only anyway, since at its heart there's lots of other stuff (Bible interpretation, theology and whatnot)... but since this guy brought up that particular claim ('clean animals=good for human health, unclean animals=bad for human health'), and it sounds like a scientific question, I guess this was its place.

If this thread fits better in another sub-forum (Apologetics?), then I'm fine with it being moved . I do think that this particular part of the subject could be answered regardless of one's faith, so IMO it need not be a Christians-only sub-forum.
    I'm thinking more like "Health Science 101"

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I'm thinking more like "Health Science 101"
    I forgot that even existed. Sounds much more fitting. Thanks Mr. CP!

6. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I think there is some truth to the idea that unclean animals were unhealthy. At least back then. For example, pork carried parasites and could kill you. But that isn't the case today because of the way we farm them and veterinary care.

8. Amen Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    I think there is some truth to the idea that unclean animals were unhealthy. At least back then. For example, pork carried parasites and could kill you. But that isn't the case today because of the way we farm them and veterinary care.
    And proper cooking.

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

10. Amen Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    And proper cooking.

Not to mention that pigs would be a poor choice of livestock in a semi arid region where they would compete with humans for food.
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Christianbookworm View Post

Not to mention that pigs would be a poor choice of livestock in a semi arid region where they would compete with humans for food.
    well apparently the gentiles did farm them in the area, or there would not have been a heard of them for Jesus to put the demons in, or for the prodigal son to feed pods to.

Theologyweb's Official Grandfather Jedidiah's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    What are the health dangers of shrimp, lobster and such? The uncleanness was clearly a mark of separation. When God approved all meats, in Acts, we should not assume that He suddenly changed the health qualities of their meats. The restrictions on clean and unclean were matters of ritual purity, not health.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?