Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

About 'clean' and 'unclean' animals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About 'clean' and 'unclean' animals

A friend of mine who is a Seventh Day Adventist led me to a pastor (I think he's called Jim Staley) who claimed that the unclean animals in Lev. 11 are unclean because they are, in general, bad for one's health if eaten. He claims this as part of his thesis that the levitical food code still applies in the NT.

This thread isn't meant to be about whether the food code applies or not, but rather about the specific claim of the difference for people's health of eating animals in one or the other group.

Now for some of the 'unclean' ones, I guess it's true (e.g. poisonous frogs or whatever), but I don't know if it applies to all the 'unclean' animals, or if some of the 'clean' ones can be bad for health too (ie carry a statistically significant amount of diseases too, or something like that). I post this in NatSci because IMO this is more a scientific question than else. I'm guessing this topic has been covered before and some of you guys may have looked into it at some point. Any input is appreciated.
    We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore on Christ's behalf: 'Be reconciled to God!!'
    - 2 Corinthians 5:20.
    In deviantArt: ll-bisto-ll.deviantart.com
    Christian art and more: Christians.deviantart.com

Sorry, I do not see this as a science related thread at all.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
      Sorry, I do not see this as a science related thread at all.
      That's fine, I don't wish to treat the topic as science only anyway, since at its heart there's lots of other stuff (Bible interpretation, theology and whatnot)... but since this guy brought up that particular claim ('clean animals=good for human health, unclean animals=bad for human health'), and it sounds like a scientific question, I guess this was its place.

If this thread fits better in another sub-forum (Apologetics?), then I'm fine with it being moved . I do think that this particular part of the subject could be answered regardless of one's faith, so IMO it need not be a Christians-only sub-forum.
      We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore on Christ's behalf: 'Be reconciled to God!!'

Comment

Originally posted by Bisto View Post
        That's fine, I don't wish to treat the topic as science only anyway, since at its heart there's lots of other stuff (Bible interpretation, theology and whatnot)... but since this guy brought up that particular claim ('clean animals=good for human health, unclean animals=bad for human health'), and it sounds like a scientific question, I guess this was its place.

If this thread fits better in another sub-forum (Apologetics?), then I'm fine with it being moved . I do think that this particular part of the subject could be answered regardless of one's faith, so IMO it need not be a Christians-only sub-forum.
        I'm thinking more like "Health Science 101"
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          I'm thinking more like "Health Science 101"
          I forgot that even existed. Sounds much more fitting. Thanks Mr. CP!

Comment

I think there is some truth to the idea that unclean animals were unhealthy. At least back then. For example, pork carried parasites and could kill you. But that isn't the case today because of the way we farm them and veterinary care.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              I think there is some truth to the idea that unclean animals were unhealthy. At least back then. For example, pork carried parasites and could kill you. But that isn't the case today because of the way we farm them and veterinary care.
              And proper cooking.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                And proper cooking.

Not to mention that pigs would be a poor choice of livestock in a semi arid region where they would compete with humans for food.
                If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post

Not to mention that pigs would be a poor choice of livestock in a semi arid region where they would compete with humans for food.
                  well apparently the gentiles did farm them in the area, or there would not have been a heard of them for Jesus to put the demons in, or for the prodigal son to feed pods to.

Comment

What are the health dangers of shrimp, lobster and such? The uncleanness was clearly a mark of separation. When God approved all meats, in Acts, we should not assume that He suddenly changed the health qualities of their meats. The restrictions on clean and unclean were matters of ritual purity, not health.
                    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Pigs were quite popular as livestock in the region long before the Hebrews arrived, and piggeries still featured except in the tribal territory of Judah long afterward. The land was quite suitable for pigs.
                      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                      Scripture before Tradition:
                      but that won't prevent others from
                      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                        What are the health dangers of shrimp, lobster and such? The uncleanness was clearly a mark of separation. When God approved all meats, in Acts, we should not assume that He suddenly changed the health qualities of their meats. The restrictions on clean and unclean were matters of ritual purity, not health.
                        Food poisoning is a known risk from them there little beasties - as with oysters and such. Many parts of Levitical law (building latrines downstream from the camp, for example) were concerned with health issues.
                        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

All food is a risk for getting sick. I don't think pork is any worse than chicken in this regard.
                          "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

As for Pork - it's more a matter of parasites (as Sparko noted in post #6) - and transmissible disease is more likely than with chooks.
                            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

And that Jesus declared all foods clean.
                              When I Survey....

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X