Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: About 'clean' and 'unclean' animals

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Christianbookworm View Post

Not to mention that pigs would be a poor choice of livestock in a semi arid region where they would compete with humans for food.
    Pigs were quite popular as livestock in the region long before the Hebrews arrived, and piggeries still featured except in the tribal territory of Judah long afterward. The land was quite suitable for pigs.
    και εκζητησατε με και ευρησετε με οτι ζητησετε με εν ολη καρδία υμων

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedidiah View Post
    What are the health dangers of shrimp, lobster and such? The uncleanness was clearly a mark of separation. When God approved all meats, in Acts, we should not assume that He suddenly changed the health qualities of their meats. The restrictions on clean and unclean were matters of ritual purity, not health.
    Food poisoning is a known risk from them there little beasties - as with oysters and such. Many parts of Levitical law (building latrines downstream from the camp, for example) were concerned with health issues.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    All food is a risk for getting sick. I don't think pork is any worse than chicken in this regard.

4. Amen Jedidiah amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    As for Pork - it's more a matter of parasites (as Sparko noted in post #6) - and transmissible disease is more likely than with chooks.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Christianbookworm View Post

Not to mention that pigs would be a poor choice of livestock in a semi arid region where they would compete with humans for food.
    And that Jesus declared all foods clean.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by tabibito View Post
    The land was quite suitable for pigs.
    What land isn't?

(Texas is having a REAL bad time with feral hogs.... we were already allowed to shoot hogs from helicopters, but now there's a new "solution" - warfarin. Approved for use, it poisons the pig, often causing a slow agonizing death. Problem I see is, what if you shoot a hog that has been poisoned, but hadn't yet exhibited extreme signs of illness - and you feed that meat to your family?)

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    What land isn't?

(Texas is having a REAL bad time with feral hogs.... we were already allowed to shoot hogs from helicopters, but now there's a new "solution" - warfarin. Approved for use, it poisons the pig, often causing a slow agonizing death. Problem I see is, what if you shoot a hog that has been poisoned, but hadn't yet exhibited extreme signs of illness - and you feed that meat to your family?)
    that could be a real problem. I have heard of cats and dogs who die after eating a rat who was poisoned. Warfarin is rat poison. It is a blood thinner and causes you to bleed internally and die. It is used in small doses as a blood thinner for cardiac patients.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Thanks to everyone for your answers so far :)

So, I gather that:

(1) there was some validity to 'unclean animals are bad for your health' at least back then, because of stuff like parasites.

(2) It might be worth noting that people in other nations did farm some of these animals (e.g. pigs).

(3) Point #1 above is more or less irrelevant today for pork (or else) that is purchased, inasmuch as farming techniques and cooking procedures diminish any inherent health risks.

Another question. I heard the man Staley claim that most diseases today are actually caused by pig meat or started because of it. On the face of it such a wide claim sounded like bogus to me but I know little about health. What do you guys think?

Fwiw, I do believe Jesus declared all foods clean. However, this friend of mine sees the dietary laws as still in effect in the NT... so we've been talking about it and hence this thread. I did find an interesting thread on the topic the other day; my friend is more or less in Soyeung's position described there.
    We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore on Christ's behalf: 'Be reconciled to God!!'
    - 2 Corinthians 5:20.
    In deviantArt: ll-bisto-ll.deviantart.com
    Christian art and more: Christians.deviantart.com

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bisto View Post

Another question. I heard the man Staley claim that most diseases today are actually caused by pig meat or started because of it. On the face of it such a wide claim sounded like bogus to me but I know little about health. What do you guys think?
    I think we should spread this rumor around because it means more bacon for us.

11. Amen Jedidiah, Chrawnus amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by tabibito View Post
    Pigs were quite popular as livestock in the region long before the Hebrews arrived, and piggeries still featured except in the tribal territory of Judah long afterward. The land was quite suitable for pigs.
    Apparently pigs were not that popular in the middle east and were supplanted by chickens in large numbers.

Chickens have several advantages over pigs. First, they are a more efficient source of protein than pigs; chickens require 3,500 litres of water to produce one kilo of meat, pigs require 6,000. Secondly, chickens produce eggs, an important secondary product which pigs do not offer. Third, chickens are much smaller and can thus be consumed within 24 hours; this eliminates the problem of preserving large quantities of meat in a hot climate. Finally, chickens could be used by nomads. While neither chickens nor pigs can be herded in the same way as cattle, chickens are small enough to be transported.