Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

About 'clean' and 'unclean' animals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
    The land was quite suitable for pigs.
    What land isn't?

(Texas is having a REAL bad time with feral hogs.... we were already allowed to shoot hogs from helicopters, but now there's a new "solution" - warfarin. Approved for use, it poisons the pig, often causing a slow agonizing death. Problem I see is, what if you shoot a hog that has been poisoned, but hadn't yet exhibited extreme signs of illness - and you feed that meat to your family?)
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      What land isn't?

(Texas is having a REAL bad time with feral hogs.... we were already allowed to shoot hogs from helicopters, but now there's a new "solution" - warfarin. Approved for use, it poisons the pig, often causing a slow agonizing death. Problem I see is, what if you shoot a hog that has been poisoned, but hadn't yet exhibited extreme signs of illness - and you feed that meat to your family?)
      that could be a real problem. I have heard of cats and dogs who die after eating a rat who was poisoned. Warfarin is rat poison. It is a blood thinner and causes you to bleed internally and die. It is used in small doses as a blood thinner for cardiac patients.

Comment

Thanks to everyone for your answers so far :)

So, I gather that:

(1) there was some validity to 'unclean animals are bad for your health' at least back then, because of stuff like parasites.

(2) It might be worth noting that people in other nations did farm some of these animals (e.g. pigs).

(3) Point #1 above is more or less irrelevant today for pork (or else) that is purchased, inasmuch as farming techniques and cooking procedures diminish any inherent health risks.

Another question. I heard the man Staley claim that most diseases today are actually caused by pig meat or started because of it. On the face of it such a wide claim sounded like bogus to me but I know little about health. What do you guys think?

Fwiw, I do believe Jesus declared all foods clean. However, this friend of mine sees the dietary laws as still in effect in the NT... so we've been talking about it and hence this thread. I did find an interesting thread on the topic the other day; my friend is more or less in Soyeung's position described there.
        We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore on Christ's behalf: 'Be reconciled to God!!'
        - 2 Corinthians 5:20.
        In deviantArt: ll-bisto-ll.deviantart.com
        Christian art and more: Christians.deviantart.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bisto View Post

Another question. I heard the man Staley claim that most diseases today are actually caused by pig meat or started because of it. On the face of it such a wide claim sounded like bogus to me but I know little about health. What do you guys think?
          I think we should spread this rumor around because it means more bacon for us.

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
            Pigs were quite popular as livestock in the region long before the Hebrews arrived, and piggeries still featured except in the tribal territory of Judah long afterward. The land was quite suitable for pigs.
            Apparently pigs were not that popular in the middle east and were supplanted by chickens in large numbers.

Chickens have several advantages over pigs. First, they are a more efficient source of protein than pigs; chickens require 3,500 litres of water to produce one kilo of meat, pigs require 6,000. Secondly, chickens produce eggs, an important secondary product which pigs do not offer. Third, chickens are much smaller and can thus be consumed within 24 hours; this eliminates the problem of preserving large quantities of meat in a hot climate. Finally, chickens could be used by nomads. While neither chickens nor pigs can be herded in the same way as cattle, chickens are small enough to be transported.
            "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
              Apparently pigs were not that popular in the middle east and were supplanted by chickens in large numbers.
              My comment was "before the Hebrews arrived."

Source: Pig Husbandry in Iron Age Judah page 9

But the most drastic difference is the one between Israel and Judah. Pig remains are nearlyabsent from Iron Age IIB sites located in the territory of the Kingdom of Judah (Table 1).Lachish (
              Tell ed-Duwe¯r
              ) and
              Te˙ ¯l H ˙ a¯lı¯f
              /
              Tell el-H ˘ uwe¯lfe
              in the Shephelah and
              Tell es-Seba
              inthe Beer-Sheba Valley, show a low frequency of pigs. The same holds true for
              Mo¯s˙ a¯
              in thehighlands west of Jerusalem and for an Iron Age IIB assemblage from the recent ‘WailingWall excavations’ in Jerusalem. The site of Aroer (
              H ˘ irbet Ara¯ ir
              ), located southeast of
              Tell es-Seba
              (the semi-arid area; current annual precipitation is 200mm) is the only one to standout, with more than 3% pigs. Aroer, as a way-station on the ancient road which connectedsouth Arabia with the Mediterranean littoral, had a unique identity and hence the faunalassemblage of this site may represent food habits of many different people who traveled alongthe road
              . This assumption is further supported by the fact that most of the cooking-potsfound at the site were not manufactured locally
              .As mentioned above, we checked whether the pigs were an actual part of a given site’seconomy and were raised (as domestic pigs) as part of its livestock (to be distinguished fromoccasional hunting). In all Iron Age IIB sites, the status of pigs was defined as domesticated(by the report’s author or by us using the measurements provided by the author; see Table 1for status definition and Table 2 for measurements used for definition) https://www.academia.edu/4062281/Pig...rael_and_Judah

© Copyright Original Source

1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
              Scripture before Tradition:
              but that won't prevent others from
              taking it upon themselves to deprive you
              of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Thanks! :)
                We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore on Christ's behalf: 'Be reconciled to God!!'
                - 2 Corinthians 5:20.
                In deviantArt: ll-bisto-ll.deviantart.com
                Christian art and more: Christians.deviantart.com

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X