Announcement

Collapse

Islam Guidelines

Theists only.

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to Islam. This forum is generally for theists only, and is not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theist may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Muhammad mentioned by name in the Song of Songs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comment

• Originally posted by siam View Post
      I have explained from the start of our conversation that the Christian meta-narrative or paradigm is not the same as the Muslim one---trying to fit the doctrinal pieces of a Christian meta-narrative onto a Muslim one will not work as the pieces have a different shape---its like fitting a square peg in a round hole. Islam is much closer (not same) in its paradigm/meta-narrative, to Judaism than it is to Christianity.

While Christianity may require the Torah to validate its claims---Islam does not require the Torah or the NT---the Quran stands on its own merits and narrative. Likewise, Judaism also does not require the NT or the Quran. It is only Christianity that appropriates another religion's sacred texts for its own purposes.

Which is why I, (and most Muslims) do not read the Torah or the NT---I happen to read some of the Torah in order to explore the intersections between the Quranic themes and the Torah. I have not read the NT, but have looked at various verses/passages that intersect with some theme or point the Quran is making. Hebrew and Arabic are sister languages so many of the Hebrew concept-words also appear in the Quran in their Arabic form. The comparison of root meanings, depth of definitions and use are interesting. But the NT is either Greek or English---no relation to Arabic or Hebrew. Greek and English are part of the Indo-European language family and so comparisons (concept-words, ideas) with Sanskrit of India or Avestan of Persia would be more interesting....perhaps.....
      IMO, some Christianities may have more similarities to the world-view/meta-narratives of these ancient Eastern religions of old Persia and India than do Judaism and Islam?....or not?....

To Punish---inflict a penalty or sanction on (someone) as retribution for an offense, especially a transgression of a legal or moral code.
      "I have done wrong and I'm being punished for it"
      synonyms: discipline, teach someone a lesson;

treat (someone) in an unfairly harsh way.
      "a rise in prescription charges would punish the poor"
      synonyms: penalize, unfairly disadvantage, handicap, hurt, wrong, ill-use, maltreat
      "higher charges would punish the poor"

In the above definition, the 2nd option can be ruled out right?---I think both Christians and Muslims can agree God cannot be conceived as unfair/unjust?
      the first options has two understandings---1) to penalize for a transgression, 2) to teach a lesson.

IMO, in the Quranic story, God teaches Adam---previously God taught Adam the names---now God teaches Adam discernment, prudence...(he is made aware of aspects of his nature).......this leads Adam to repent and God forgives and gives him Guidance and promises to send Guidance to all of humanity (though the choice of accepting or rejecting it is upto them.)
      The Quranic verses given in the previous post show this chronology.

likewise, some tests or trials that we receive on earth are "teaching moments" and/or opportunities to "turn to God"
      (bad/harm caused by humans to other humans is a transgression against our brothers in humanity and God---and human beings have a God-given right for redress and justice---therefore, there are laws)

Tree---the Quran does not specify the tree---this is not important to the Quranic story.

Nature of God---In previous posts, I gave Surah 112 and the verse of the throne (ayatul kursi) as explanations of the Quranic view.

In Islam, God is neither male nor female, nor both male and female---any grammatical gender used in explanations of God is simply a limitation of language. God is Unique and no thing/being in creation is like him/it.

Christian beliefs---What is in the hearts of Christians is a matter between them and God. The Quran calls Jews and Christians "people of the book". All that I can say about Christianity is that I do not understand it, therefore I cannot give assent to its propositions.

We said: "O Adam! dwell thou and thy wife in the Garden; and eat of the bountiful things therein as (where and when) ye will; but approach not this tree, or ye run into harm and transgression."

Then began Satan to whisper suggestions to them, bringing openly before their minds all their shame that was hidden from them (before): he said: "Your Lord only forbade you this tree, lest ye should become angels or such beings as live for ever."

Sounds like the tree of the knowledge of good and evil to me.

I'm not surprised you haven't studied the Bible; sometimes you say something you think is unique to the Qur'an, but it isn't.

I have read the Qur'an, and studied it and have been taught Islam by Muslims. I compare what some Muslims say with what the Qur'an actually teaches.

Comment

• Originally posted by Christian3 View Post
        We said: "O Adam! dwell thou and thy wife in the Garden; and eat of the bountiful things therein as (where and when) ye will; but approach not this tree, or ye run into harm and transgression."

Then began Satan to whisper suggestions to them, bringing openly before their minds all their shame that was hidden from them (before): he said: "Your Lord only forbade you this tree, lest ye should become angels or such beings as live for ever."

Sounds like the tree of the knowledge of good and evil to me.

I'm not surprised you haven't studied the Bible; sometimes you say something you think is unique to the Qur'an, but it isn't.

I have read the Qur'an, and studied it and have been taught Islam by Muslims. I compare what some Muslims say with what the Qur'an actually teaches.
        It may sound like the tree of good and evil to you---so? it could be some other tree too---perhaps one that gives immortality according to Satan's suggestions......The Quran does not specify the tree---because the type of tree or fruit or other such details are not important to the message the Quran wants to convey using this story.

Muslims say that Islam is the religion of God since the time of Prophet Adam and all the Wisdom teachers and Prophets of God taught the Tawheed/Islam. So it is not at all surprising that Islam has many intersections with almost all the world religions....

You have read the Quran?---thankyou.
        It may be possible that you are reading it with your Christian biases and prejudices?....and that is ok---Christians can also voice their opinions of the Quran.
        Likewise, as a Muslim reading the NT---I would likely come up with a different view of what the text is saying than what a Christian presumes it is saying?

Comment

To Christians the symbolism of the cross may be powerful---but to an outsider---it may come across as barbaric human sacrifice?....Indeed, I was shocked when I first saw a lifesize statue of a bloody, dead, human on a cross.
          Think of it as a soldier who has stepped in front of a bullet meant for someone else. Yes, looking at someone dead with all the gore is shocking.

But, that is not the worst of what Jesus had to endure. He endured much worse than dying a painful death.

Comment

It may sound like the tree of good and evil to you---so? it could be some other tree too---perhaps one that gives immortality according to Satan's suggestions......The Quran does not specify the tree---because the type of tree or fruit or other such details are not important to the message the Quran wants to convey using this story.
            How many trees were Adam and Eve not to eat of in the Garden according to the Qur'an?

Originally posted by siam View Post

Muslims say that Islam is the religion of God since the time of Prophet Adam and all the Wisdom teachers and Prophets of God taught the Tawheed/Islam. So it is not at all surprising that Islam has many intersections with almost all the world religions....
            Christians and Jews submit to the will of God.

It is important to look at the differences. All religions have something in common.

You have read the Quran?---thankyou.
            It may be possible that you are reading it with your Christian biases and prejudices?....and that is ok--- Christians can also voice their opinions of the Quran.
            When I first started to read the Qur'an I wasn't a Christian; I was an atheist. I was open to what the Qur'an and the religion of Islam had to offer.

I haven't just read the Qur'an; I have studied it. The first 3 years I spent 50-60 hours per week studying the Qur'an and talking with Muslims who helped me understand what I was reading. I read Islamic commentaries and articles written by Muslims.

I have spent a good deal of my time during the past 15 years studying Islam, Christianity, and Judaism. I made comparisons. Somewhere during this time I became a Christian.

Likewise, as a Muslim reading the NT---I would likely come up with a different view of what the text is saying than what a Christian presumes it is saying?
            You said you haven't read the New Testament.

You must study the New Testament; read commentaries -- lots of them -- compare them.

Christians may differ on the interpretation of some verses -- Muslims do to -- but what does true Christianity and true Islam actually teach?

Comment

• Siam, since you have not read the Bible, I think you might be interested in reading the following:

God's love in the Old Testament

The Old Testament often speaks of God's love. Though the Israelites repeatedly rejected God and did wrong, God continued to love them (and all other people).

The LORD, the LORD, the compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness, maintaining love to thousands, and forgiving wickedness, rebellion and sin. (Ex 34:6-7)

"Is not Ephraim my dear son, the child in whom I delight? Though I often speak against him, I still remember him. Therefore my heart yearns for him; I have great compassion for him," declares the LORD. (Jer 31:20)

I will make an everlasting covenant with them: I will never stop doing good to them, and I will inspire them to fear me, so that they will never turn away from me. I will rejoice in doing them good and will assuredly plant them in this land with all my heart and soul. (Jer 32:40-41)

The LORD said to me, "Go, show your love to your wife again, though she is loved by another and is an adulteress. Love her as the LORD loves the Israelites, though they turn to other gods and love the sacred raisin cakes." (Hos 3:1)

The LORD upholds all those who fall and lifts up all who are bowed down.
              The eyes of all look to you, and you give them their food at the proper time.
              You open your hand and satisfy the desires of every living thing.
              The LORD is righteous in all his ways and loving toward all he has made.
              (Ps 145:14-17)

He upholds the cause of the oppressed
              and gives food to the hungry.
              The LORD sets prisoners free,
              the LORD gives sight to the blind,
              the LORD lifts up those who are bowed down,
              the LORD loves the righteous.
              The LORD watches over the alien
              and sustains the fatherless and the widow,
              but he frustrates the ways of the wicked.
              (Ps 146:7-9)

In particular, God's love and concern for people who are disadvantaged is frequently mentioned throughout the OT. The law contained several rules for treating orphans, widows and foreigners fairly and providing for their needs (e.g. Dt 24:10-22).

But you, O God, do see trouble and grief;
              you consider it to take it in hand.
              The victim commits himself to you;
              you are the helper of the fatherless...
              You hear, O LORD , the desire of the afflicted;
              you encourage them, and you listen to their cry,
              defending the fatherless and the oppressed,
              in order that man, who is of the earth, may terrify no more.
              (Ps 10:14, 17-18)

Much is made of God's wrath and punishment in the Old Testament, but when God punishes, it is with reluctance:

As surely as I live, declares the Sovereign LORD, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn from their ways and live. (Ezek 33:11)

Rid yourselves of all the offenses you have committed, and get a new heart and a new spirit. Why will you die, O house of Israel? For I take no pleasure in the death of anyone, declares the Sovereign LORD . Repent and live! (Ezek 18:31-32)

How can I give you up, Ephraim? How can I hand you over, Israel? How can I treat you like Admah? How can I make you like Zeboiim? My heart is changed within me; all my compassion is aroused. I will not carry out my fierce anger, nor will I turn and devastate Ephraim. For I am God, and not man - the Holy One among you. I will not come in wrath. (Hos 11:8-9)

For men are not cast off by the Lord forever. Though he brings grief, he will show compassion, so great is his unfailing love. For he does not willingly bring affliction or grief to the children of men. (Lam 3:31-33)

God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. (2 Sam 14:14)

In fact, God often pleads with the Israelites to stop doing wrong and repent so that he may bless them. Anyone who was experiencing God's punishment could end it immediately by repenting.

If at any time I announce that a nation or kingdom is to be uprooted, torn down and destroyed, and if that nation I warned repents of its evil, then I will relent and not inflict on it the disaster I had planned. (Jer 18:7-8)

Go up and down the streets of Jerusalem, look around and consider, search through her squares. If you can find but one person who deals honestly and seeks the truth, I will forgive this city. (Jer 5:1)

"Even now," declares the LORD,
              "return to me with all your heart,
              with fasting and weeping and mourning."

Rend your heart
              and not your garments.
              Return to the LORD your God,
              for he is gracious and compassionate,
              slow to anger and abounding in love,
              and he relents from sending calamity.
              Who knows? He may turn and have pity
              and leave behind a blessing -
              grain offerings and drink offerings
              for the LORD your God.
              (Joel 2:12-14)

When God saw what they did and how they turned from their evil ways, he had compassion and did not bring upon them the destruction he had threatened. (Jonah 3:10)

When all these blessings and curses I have set before you come upon you and you take them to heart wherever the LORD your God disperses you among the nations, and when you and your children return to the LORD your God and obey him with all your heart and with all your soul according to everything I command you today, then the LORD your God will restore your fortunes and have compassion on you and gather you again from all the nations where he scattered you. Even if you have been banished to the most distant land under the heavens, from there the LORD your God will gather you and bring you back. (Dt 30:1-4)

Who is a God like you, who pardons sin and forgives the transgression of the remnant of his inheritance? You do not stay angry forever but delight to show mercy. You will again have compassion on us; you will tread our sins underfoot and hurl all our iniquities into the depths of the sea. (Micah 7:18-19)

If God loves people so much, why did become so angry with them and punish them? The answer is that God was angry with people because of his love for people: nations were punished because their citizens were cruel to other people, oppressing the needy and killing innocent adults and children (e.g. Ezek 22:6-7, Jer 5:26-29). One reason God punished people was to get them to stop hurting other people (Jer 7:5-7). Because God loved the people who were being oppressed, he intervened on their behalf; because God loved the oppressors, he disciplined them and taught them to do good instead of evil (Ps 94:12-13), that he might bless them instead of punish them (Ezek 33:11).

My son, do not despise the LORD's discipline
              and do not resent his rebuke,
              because the LORD disciplines those he loves,
              as a father the son he delights in.
              (Pr 3:11-12)

Repent! Turn away from all your offenses; then sin will not be your downfall. (Ezek 18:30b)

Comment

Think of it as a soldier who has stepped in front of a bullet meant for someone else. Yes, looking at someone dead with all the gore is shocking.

But, that is not the worst of what Jesus had to endure. He endured much worse than dying a painful death.
                What I was trying to say was that a human/God sacrifice, turned into symbolism of "love", is an interesting twist of interpretation. I do not have any problems with Christians having their own perspectives with regards to their own sacred symbols---but that does not mean that it can automatically translate to those from a different background or worldview.

and I have had previous opportunities to have conversations with Christians in my attempts to understand Christianity....and analogies, while helpful, have not worked for some reason.
                If we are to see God as a soldier that steps in front of a bullet---it seems strange that God---who made the laws of gravity in the first place---cannot have the bullet fly into the ground....?....Christians believe in miracles right? (even more perplexing---an eternal God ends up dying?)

But more importantly---from the Muslim perspective---For a soldier to step in front of a bullet---there first needs to be a presumption that there is a war and 2 sides are shooting each other. If one does not give assent to the proposition that there is a war---there can be no soldiers shooting and no one needs to step in front of another. The whole scenario can only fit if the first presumption is accepted.

There is no original sin in Islam because whatever errors Adam made, he was forgiven. Under such a paradigm---there is no necessity for either incarnation or sacrifice.

There is another disturbing aspect (to a Muslim) of the Christian narrative---that Satan has the power to derail God's plans? It appears that merely a suggestion from Satan can cause such havoc that God needs to incarnate and die in order to make things right? This would be "Shirk" in Islam....to give Satan such powers (that should only belong to ONE God) is the same as making partners to God. This error is such a major error---that the Quran says God may withhold his mercy to those who knowingly engage in it.
                From the Muslim perspective, Satan is a creation---and all creation is dependent on God and have no powers at all except to the degree God allows. Therefore, (from a Muslim perspective) the plan for humanity is exactly as God intended.....

Comment

1) How many trees were Adam and Eve not to eat of in the Garden according to the Qur'an?

2) Christians and Jews submit to the will of God.

3) It is important to look at the differences. All religions have something in common.

4) When I first started to read the Qur'an I wasn't a Christian; I was an atheist. I was open to what the Qur'an and the religion of Islam had to offer.

5) I haven't just read the Qur'an; I have studied it. The first 3 years I spent 50-60 hours per week studying the Qur'an and talking with Muslims who helped me understand what I was reading. I read Islamic commentaries and articles written by Muslims.
                  I have spent a good deal of my time during the past 15 years studying Islam, Christianity, and Judaism. I made comparisons. Somewhere during this time I became a Christian.

6)You said you haven't read the New Testament.
                  You must study the New Testament; read commentaries -- lots of them -- compare them.
                  Christians may differ on the interpretation of some verses -- Muslims do to -- but what does true Christianity and true Islam actually teach?
                  1) ???? tree? ---its not important in the Quran. It is important in Christianity---right? How do you understand the Christian narrative?

2) agree.

3) It is important to look at differences so that we can appreciate human diversity and learn to respect our differences and treat each other with compassion and mercy in spite of the differences. This is the reason God created/allowed diversity in the first place---the Quran explains.

4) I have had the opportunity to read the Quran together with some Atheist/Agnostic (from a Christian cultural background) and they assumed "original sin" when reading the story of Adam---when actually such a doctrine does not exist in Islam. Simply because the stories are similar---some people can read things into it and make assumptions that may be incorrect. We all bring our own baggage to any text we read---but such variety can make conversations interesting too....

5) It is good you found a spiritual home. I appreciate your patience in explaining your understanding of Christianity. There are many points of similarity/difference and its been interesting to explore.

6) Thankyou for the invitation to study the NT. There are many religions in the world. Many have a logic that is understandable---even if one does not give assent to their premises. Christianity is a religion that is best understood as a Mystery. It is the best explanation for Christian doctrines beginning with the Trinity and all the way through to the crucifixion/resurrection. To apply reason and logic makes the whole exercise of understanding Christianity hopelessly frustrating for me.
                  There is also the problem of language. Sometimes, Christians say a verse they quoted means "X" but when I read it---I don't see it!

True Christianity?---I actually think the diversity within Christianity is a blessing from God. I hope it continues to retain this dynamic creativity and does not become a dull monolith.....

Comment

1) ???? tree? ---its not important in the Quran. It is important in Christianity---right? How do you understand the Christian narrative?
                    Adam and Eve were to live forever since they had access to the Tree of Life; they ate of the forbidden tree and were thrown out of the Garden. Sinful man will not be permitted to live in Paradise forever.

Genesis 3:22 The Lord God said, “Since man has become like one of Us, knowing good and evil, he must not reach out, take from the tree of life, eat, and live forever.”

Genesis 3:24 He drove man out and stationed the cherubim and the flaming, whirling sword east of the garden of Eden to guard the way to the tree of life.

Proverbs 11:30 The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life, but violence takes lives.

Revelation 2:7 “Anyone who has an ear should listen to what the Spirit says to the churches. I will give the victor the right to eat from the tree of life, which is in God’s paradise.

Revelation 22:14 “Blessed are those who wash their robes, so that they may have the right to the tree of life and may enter the city by the gates.

True Christianity?---I actually think the diversity within Christianity is a blessing from God. I hope it continues to retain this dynamic creativity and does not become a dull monolith.....
                    The Bible defines a true Christian as one who has personally received Jesus Christ as Savior, who trusts in the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ alone for forgiveness of sins, who has the Holy Spirit residing within, and whose life evinces change consistent with faith in Jesus.

I exclude cults like Mormonism and Jehovah Witnesses.

Satan is not in control of Christians; God has seen to that.

Genesis 3:15Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)

15 I will put hostility between you and the woman,
                    and between your seed and her seed.
                    He will strike your head,
                    and you will strike his heel.

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                      Christian3, can you expand on why this Song of Songs reference might mention Muhammad?

Muhammad (pbuh) is mentioned by name in the Song of Solomon 5:16. The Hebrew word used in this verse is Mahamaddim. The ending letters ‘im’ is a plural of respect, majesty and grandeur, just as in Elohim (the God). Without ‘im’ the name becomes Mahamadd which was translated as "altogether lovely" in the Authorized Version of the Bible or 'The Praised One', 'the one worthy of Praise.' In Arabic, Muhammad means the one who is most praised.

* Song of Solomon 5:16
                      His mouth is most sweet: yea, he is altogether lovely. This is my beloved, and this is my friend, O daughters of Jerusalem.

The phrase "he is altogether lovely" reads in the Hebrew as "he is Mahamaddim."

THE LAST PROPHET AND THE QUR'AN
                      IN PREVIOUSLY REVEALED SCRIPTURES

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                        Christian3, can you expand on why this Song of Songs reference might mention Muhammad?
                        and with dwelling in tents (Jer. 49:29; Ps. 120:5; Song 1:5) - Jewish sources, "Encyclopedia Judaica: Kedar"

Although - in Jewish sources, it is not the verse that they referenced this to, "In Canticles (1:5), the tents of the Qedarites are described as black: "Black I am, but beautiful, ye daughters of Jerusalem / As tents of Qedar, as tentcloth of Salam black."

Comment

I appreciate your patience in trying to explain Christian doctrine---even though I am having difficulty understanding it.....I don't get the logic of it....

So are you saying God is infinite, Man is finite...therefore when Man does good it is finite and when Man does bad it is infinite and this is why God needs a sacrifice?

Whatever this "infinite Justice" means---it seems very unjust to me---the God who makes the "laws" in the first place has to sacrifice himself to get out of an impossible law that he himself created? is that what you are saying?

God, who is worthy of worship---is incapable of forgiveness---unless some God-made criteria of justice is met---and in order to meet this criteria which he himself created---he has to suffer---and this somehow is "infinite justice"---and he is now able to forgive?---but he still cannot forgive whomever he wills---he can only forgive a "Christian"?

You must forgive me if I find your explanations illogical. Christianity is very difficult to understand....people who are comfortable with all aspects of religion being a "mystery" may be fine with such explanations---but I am not.

"You must have a historical basis for not believing Jesus died and rose from the dead."---why? Perhaps Christianity needs a "historical basis" to verify the truth of their Bible. We Muslims are not dependent on history for truth---we depend on the Quran. The Quran itself gives us the criteria to test it.

If you are interested in the details of the Christian substitution---you can look at the gnostics---apparently some of them believed in substitution for their own doctrinal purposes....
                          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnosti...lypse_of_Peter
                          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Substitution_hypothesis

As for Muslims---On those matters that the Quran does not elaborate on...we can speculate---but such speculation is only useful in creating arguments as only God knows the Truth.
                          I agree with the commentary you mentioned above---Muslims should ponder over and reflect on the verses of the Quran....so that we may have the humility to acknowledge our limits of knowledge.

There are some things that the Quran confirms about Jesus Christ...1) He was a "sign" from God, 2) He had knowledge from God 3) He was a Prophet (Masih) sent to the Jews. 4) He was a human being the way Prophet Adam was a human being. 5) He was the son of Mary.
                          ...All of this the Christians can also agree to...right?
                          There are some things the Quran explains about God....1) He is One 2)God has no partners, spouses, children 3) He is Most Compassionate Most Merciful 4) God is Most Just. 5) All creation is created by God and belongs to God.
                          ...all of this the Christians can also agree with....right?
                          There are some ideas that the Quran corrects---Such as....1)God is 3, 2)God has a son 3) God cannot forgive whomever he wills 4) God's mercy is only for a select few who are the "chosen people".
                          These would be areas of disagreement between Christians and Muslims right?

by the way...what is your definition of justice?
                          Definition of Justice is using the laws that God gave to mankind and having the wisdom to deliver them correctly. What is your definition of mercy?

Sometimes I think since there were two brothers, Isaac and Ishmael, yet born from two separate women, that each were given a way back to God from different perspectives. Both religions were given laws to follow as Muslims believe that God sent prophets and guidance to all people - Sharia in Islam and Halakha Jewish religious, to rule their communities - also, a well-codified system of laws. As for Shabbat, Muslims are asked by God to close their business for Friday prayers but nothing beyond ("Day of Assembly") and Jewish Shabbath, it is a day of observation and remembrance... The Hebrew word for convocations is migra, meaning a calling (together). Also, the calendars are similar, both are lunar but Jewish calendar includes an intercalary month every 3 years - and with the agricultural society could run on the Jewish calendar whereas the Islamic calendar is out of synch with the seasons and a farmer. Also, both religions - have dietary laws, Islamic dietary laws (Halal - The words halal and haram, in Arabic means permissible or lawful) and the Jewish dietary laws (Kashrut; in English, Kosher - meaning proper or fit, originates from the Hebrew word “Kashrut”.) - however, and I thought that Jews can eat Halal but they can't - even though, there may not be kosher store within the vicinity. Muslim can eat kosher if there is no Haram elements in it i.e alcohol. Kosher laws are stricter than halal. (Kosher and Halal)

Comment

• Originally posted by Marta View Post
                            Muhammad (pbuh) is mentioned by name in the Song of Solomon 5:16. The Hebrew word used in this verse is Mahamaddim. The ending letters ‘im’ is a plural of respect, majesty and grandeur, just as in Elohim (the God). Without ‘im’ the name becomes Mahamadd which was translated as "altogether lovely" in the Authorized Version of the Bible or 'The Praised One', 'the one worthy of Praise.' In Arabic, Muhammad means the one who is most praised.

* Song of Solomon 5:16
                            His mouth is most sweet: yea, he is altogether lovely. This is my beloved, and this is my friend, O daughters of Jerusalem.

The phrase "he is altogether lovely" reads in the Hebrew as "he is Mahamaddim."

THE LAST PROPHET AND THE QUR'AN
                            IN PREVIOUSLY REVEALED SCRIPTURES
                            The reasoning here is just as bad as those who say that Jesus was a copy of pagan myths because of the Spanish name Jesus and how it sounds like "Hey Zeuss".

Comment

• Originally posted by Marta View Post
                              Definition of Justice is using the laws that God gave to mankind and having the wisdom to deliver them correctly. What is your definition of mercy?

Sometimes I think since there were two brothers, Isaac and Ishmael, yet born from two separate women, that each were given a way back to God from different perspectives. Both religions were given laws to follow as Muslims believe that God sent prophets and guidance to all people - Sharia in Islam and Halakha Jewish religious, to rule their communities - also, a well-codified system of laws. As for Shabbat, Muslims are asked by God to close their business for Friday prayers but nothing beyond ("Day of Assembly") and Jewish Shabbath, it is a day of observation and remembrance... The Hebrew word for convocations is migra, meaning a calling (together). Also, the calendars are similar, both are lunar but Jewish calendar includes an intercalary month every 3 years - and with the agricultural society could run on the Jewish calendar whereas the Islamic calendar is out of synch with the seasons and a farmer. Also, both religions - have dietary laws, Islamic dietary laws (Halal - The words halal and haram, in Arabic means permissible or lawful) and the Jewish dietary laws (Kashrut; in English, Kosher - meaning proper or fit, originates from the Hebrew word “Kashrut”.) - however, and I thought that Jews can eat Halal but they can't - even though, there may not be kosher store within the vicinity. Muslim can eat kosher if there is no Haram elements in it i.e alcohol. Kosher laws are stricter than halal. (Kosher and Halal)
                              interesting thoughts---agree.

Justice tempered with compassion and mercy. (rahman, Rahim)

R-Ḥ-M (Arabic: ر ح م‎‎, Hebrew: רחם‎‎) is the triconsonantal root of many Arabic and Hebrew words, and many of those words are used as names. It indicates mercy and sympathy.

raḥam (Arabic: رحم‎‎, reḥem Hebrew: רחם‎‎): "womb".
                              raḥ'mah (Arabic: رحمة‎‎), raḥamim Hebrew: רחמים‎‎): "caring; cares, mercy".

English
                              mer·cy
                              ˈmərsē/Submit
                              noun
                              compassion or forgiveness shown toward someone whom it is within one's power to punish or harm.
                              synonyms: leniency, clemency, compassion, grace, pity, charity, forgiveness, forbearance, quarter, humanity; soft-heartedness, tenderheartedness, kindness, sympathy, liberality, indulgence, tolerance, generosity, magnanimity, beneficence

----If the semitic and english meaning were combined it might translate to something like "protective nurturing/benevolence"...?..... (It is in this context that God gives laws to humanity---Quranic story of the 2 sons of Adam)
                              The Arabic/Hebrew words have more encompassing meanings than can be translated in English...but if we were to translate simply---we might say love and forgiveness?....if so, love and forgiveness that is not tempered with justice (adl) is irresponsible because it can fall into injustice. Likewise, justice/law that is not tempered with compassion and mercy can become harsh and thus unjust. It is when these things are in balance, that there can be harmony.....

The Arabic for justice "Adl" has connotations of fairness, balance, equilibrium.

Comment

• similarities between Judaism and Islam Judaism---from one Jewish perspective....
                                (different Jews have different opinions about Islam)

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X