Announcement

Collapse

Islam Guidelines

Theists only.

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to Islam. This forum is generally for theists only, and is not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theist may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Muhammad mentioned by name in the Song of Songs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by siam View Post
    It is much more interesting conversing with human beings....its more interactive.....
    ...also...I am more interested in studying the Quran---my own sacred text.
    You must know what Christianity teaches in order to evaluate what a particular Christian says; as I need to know what Islam teaches in order to evaluate what a particular Muslim says. Besides, you can and need to do both.

Originally posted by siam View Post

Ok...if you believe that there are 2 (different) Gods---the Christian God and the Muslim God---that is upto you...but, if you believe in 2 Gods---how can you claim you believe in One God?
    I will let a former Muslim answer your question.

http://rzim.org/global-blog/do-musli...-the-same-god/

As I said there are many opinions within Christianity---and some Christians may disagree with your opinion.....
    Answered above.

CCC 841---
    The Church's relationship with the Muslims. "The plan of salvation also includes those who acknowledge the Creator, in the first place amongst whom are the Muslims; these profess to hold the faith of Abraham, and together with us they adore the one, merciful God, mankind's judge on the last day."

Miroslav Volf
    I have come to the conclusion, after studying Christian theological sources, studying also the great thinkers of the Christian faith, the object that which we worship is the same, but that we understand that object in significantly different ways. So there are both significant similarities and there are significant differences. The big question was whether those differences cancel the fact that it might be the same God or how does one weigh the similarities and the differences. We had to go through these individual points. My argument is yes, there is one God, but we have different opinions. It's very similar to how we think about the Jewish understanding of God. Jews do not believe that God is the Holy Trinity, for instance. They do not worship Jesus Christ; in fact they think, many think, that our worship of Christ is a form of idolatry. But we still think as Christians that we worship the same God as Jews. Not identical but still the same God.
    http://newsok.com/article/5491976

Some Jews also feel that Muslims worship the same One God as the them (Shema and Tawheed are similar)
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...down/97348838/

Rabbi Allen Maller calls himself a muslim Jew...and writes....
    Thus parallels between Muslim and Jewish texts do not disprove the Divine origin of the Qur'an. These parallels prove it.

The differences in details between the Torah and the Qur'an, and the parallels between the Qur'an and the Oral Torah, do not in any way prove that the Qur'an is not the word of God. They only show that the Holy One shapes the message of each prophet to fit the circumstances of the people he is sent to.

What we have in common is what we should focus on. As the Qur'an (3:64) states: "Say; "O People of the Book! come to common terms between us and you: That we worship none but Allah. that we associate no partners with Him; that we erect not, from among ourselves, Lords and patrons other than Allah." If then they turn back (reject) you. say: "Bear witness that we (at least) are Muslims (who accept all the previous prophets).

Rabbi Allen S. Maller

http://www.rabbimaller.com/judaism-a...acks-on-qur-an

Rabbi Tovia Singer explains Muslims do not do idolatry but worship One God.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjQUSK12tTo
    I fail to see what you gain from apealing to what Jews think. After all Jews don't believe Jesus is the Messiah, but Islam does.

Comment

• Originally posted by Christian3 View Post
      Is Allah omnipresent? Is Allah everywhere at the same time?
      yes.
      though I would change "the same" to "all"---God is everywhere at all time (time is relative---according to Quran)

Comment

yes.
        though I would change "the same" to "all"---God is everywhere at all time (time is relative---according to Quran)
        Is there a verse in the Qur'an which indicated Allah is omnipresent? I'm asking because another Muslim said no. Thanks.

Comment

Is there a verse in the Qur'an which indicated Allah is omnipresent? I'm asking because another Muslim said no. Thanks.
          The Quran is in Arabic and terms/concept-words can be difficult to translate. In particular, some English words carry the baggage of Christian usage/meanings which may not fit well with some of the Quranic concepts.
          The idea of God being everywhere can be pantheistic (God in creation) and this interpretation would not apply to the Quranic concept of al-Wasi (Vast, all-embracing...etc)

There are several verses (I don't remember the verse numbers) where the Quran explains things such as God is nearer to a person than his jugular vein, God is not in the east or the west (meaning he is everywhere) God pervades the heaven and earth...etc
          there is also a Hadith Qudsi that explains:-
          “Neither My Earth nor My Heavens can contain Me, but the heart of a Believing Servant, can hold Me.”

These explanations cannot be interpreted in the framework of pantheism----rather they are explaining about the vastness of God. That God encompasses(all-embracing) all things/beings. It would be more closer to panentheism (creation in(One/Only/Undivided) God).

Islam does not have the concept of human beings created in the "image of God" so God is understood more as a "force"(power) and not in anthropomorphic terms.....
          God permeates all but cannot be contained/limited in space-time or created forms.

Comment

The Quran is in Arabic and terms/concept-words can be difficult to translate. In particular, some English words carry the baggage of Christian usage/meanings which may not fit well with some of the Quranic concepts.
            The idea of God being everywhere can be pantheistic (God in creation) and this interpretation would not apply to the Quranic concept of al-Wasi (Vast, all-embracing...etc)

There are several verses (I don't remember the verse numbers) where the Quran explains things such as God is nearer to a person than his jugular vein, God is not in the east or the west (meaning he is everywhere) God pervades the heaven and earth...etc
            there is also a Hadith Qudsi that explains:-
            “Neither My Earth nor My Heavens can contain Me, but the heart of a Believing Servant, can hold Me.”

These explanations cannot be interpreted in the framework of pantheism----rather they are explaining about the vastness of God. That God encompasses(all-embracing) all things/beings. It would be more closer to panentheism (creation in(One/Only/Undivided) God).

Islam does not have the concept of human beings created in the "image of God" so God is understood more as a "force"(power) and not in anthropomorphic terms.....
            God permeates all but cannot be contained/limited in space-time or created forms.
            Being nearer to a person than his jugular vein means all-knowing.

What do you make of this?

https://www.quora.com/Is-Allah-omnipresent
            Is Allah omnipresent?

Allah as mentioned in the Quran and repeatedly narrated from the Messenger (pbuh), also unanimously accepted by the Predecessors of this community "Ummah", namely that "Allah is above His heavens on His throne of over His creatures, so not omnipresent."

[[[( 255 ) Allah - there is no deity except Him, the Ever-Living, the Sustainer of [all] existence. Neither drowsiness overtakes Him nor sleep. To Him belongs whatever is in the heavens and whatever is on the earth. Who is it that can intercede with Him except by His permission? He knows what is [presently] before them and what will be after them, and they encompass not a thing of His knowledge except for what He wills. His Kursi extends over the heavens and the earth, and their preservation tires Him not. And He is the Most High, the Most Great.]]]
            Sometimes,one read "He is with you" doesn't mean that He is mixed with His creatures, because the Arabic language does not imply. Furthermore, this is contrary to what the predecessors of this community unanimously agree, this also goes against the innate nature in which Allah has cast His creatures. Allah is the absolute Lord is on the throne, keeping His creatures, dominant and knowing everything they do.

All that was mentioned by Allah, that He is on the throne and He is to us, is a reality that need not be falsified. However, this truth must be preserved false presumptions as to think for example that the predominant meaning of "heaven" is that the latter supports Allah or overlooks. This is false as stated unanimously, people of islamic science and faith.

Conclusion:
            "Allah glorified be He, is above His heavens on His Throne, [while] separate and distinct from His creation." That is to UNDERSTAND,Allah is not omnipresent.

Comment

Allah as mentioned in the Quran and repeatedly narrated from the Messenger (pbuh), also unanimously accepted by the Predecessors of this community "Ummah", namely that "Allah is above His heavens on His throne of over His creatures, so not omnipresent."

[[[( 255 ) Allah - there is no deity except Him, the Ever-Living, the Sustainer of [all] existence. Neither drowsiness overtakes Him nor sleep. To Him belongs whatever is in the heavens and whatever is on the earth. Who is it that can intercede with Him except by His permission? He knows what is [presently] before them and what will be after them, and they encompass not a thing of His knowledge except for what He wills. His Kursi extends over the heavens and the earth, and their preservation tires Him not. And He is the Most High, the Most Great.]]]
              Sometimes,one read "He is with you" doesn't mean that He is mixed with His creatures, because the Arabic language does not imply. Furthermore, this is contrary to what the predecessors of this community unanimously agree, this also goes against the innate nature in which Allah has cast His creatures. Allah is the absolute Lord is on the throne, keeping His creatures, dominant and knowing everything they do.

All that was mentioned by Allah, that He is on the throne and He is to us, is a reality that need not be falsified. However, this truth must be preserved false presumptions as to think for example that the predominant meaning of "heaven" is that the latter supports Allah or overlooks. This is false as stated unanimously, people of islamic science and faith.

Conclusion:
              "Allah glorified be He, is above His heavens on His Throne, [while] separate and distinct from His creation." That is to UNDERSTAND,Allah is not omnipresent.

So you are saying Christianity is panthesistic?

Comment

• Is God omnipresent?

When we say God is omnipresent---what do does it imply?---is God a color that can be seen "everywhere" A "thing" or "being"? a sound?, or a force like gravity or wind that can be felt?
                No.
                Its an abstract theory/concept. Some concepts can lead to error if not articulated correctly. In Islam---pantheism is something that can lead to idol worship---so divine incarnation is not an acceptable concept which means if omnipresent is understood as pantheism---this would not apply to Islam.

However, if God is understood as al-Wasi---that all creation is embraced within the vastness of the Divine then it is acceptable. Some Muslims are more comfortable with this idea than others. Perhaps those who are of the Purists/Wahabi type are less comfortable, while those who are Sufi or closer to Sufism will be more comfortable.
                .....So, God's power, knowledge, will, presence is everywhere but not mixed (incarnated) into his creation. His will works in his creation everywhere at all times. He does not rest.

The Quranic worldview is not an either/or binary...so it may take some time to understand?

Comment

So you are saying Christianity is panthesistic?
                  Where would you get that idea????

Comment

Is God omnipresent?

When we say God is omnipresent---what do does it imply?---is God a color that can be seen "everywhere" A "thing" or "being"? a sound?, or a force like gravity or wind that can be felt?
                    No.
                    Its an abstract theory/concept. Some concepts can lead to error if not articulated correctly. In Islam---pantheism is something that can lead to idol worship---so divine incarnation is not an acceptable concept which means if omnipresent is understood as pantheism---this would not apply to Islam.

However, if God is understood as al-Wasi---that all creation is embraced within the vastness of the Divine then it is acceptable. Some Muslims are more comfortable with this idea than others. Perhaps those who are of the Purists/Wahabi type are less comfortable, while those who are Sufi or closer to Sufism will be more comfortable.
                    .....So, God's power, knowledge, will, presence is everywhere but not mixed (incarnated) into his creation. His will works in his creation everywhere at all times. He does not rest.

The Quranic worldview is not an either/or binary...so it may take some time to understand?
                    What sect of Islam do you belong? Thanks.

Comment

Where would you get that idea????
                      just asking....did not God incarnate?...homousis?

Do u know about the concepts of Trancendence/Imanence ?...if so, what is your understanding?

Comment

What sect of Islam do you belong? Thanks.
                        I am not a Sufi---but have great respect for Islamic scholars, philosophers, thinkers, who were either Sufi or understood Sufism.

Its not about sect---rather it is about apologetics vs philosophy. Apologetics tends to reduce answers to reactions "against", so the nuance of the whole is lost.
                        Here is an apologetics answer by Dr Naik which tries to distinguish the Islamic perspective from the pantheistic Hindu perspective
                        https://zakirnaikqa.wordpress.com/ta...d-omnipresent/

here are verses from the Quran:
                        (Divine Presence)
                        2:186 SAHIH INTERNATIONAL
                        And when My servants ask you, concerning Me - indeed I am near. I respond to the invocation of the supplicant when he calls upon Me. So let them respond to Me and believe in Me that they may be [rightly] guided.
                        (Divine Transcendence)
                        Surah 112:4
                        SAHIH INTERNATIONAL
                        Nor is there to Him any equivalent."

the two are not contradictory---but complementary
                        If God is not "like" his creation---but separated from it (veil/hijab)---then how can human beings "come near" to God? (know God)

here is one answer---

Comment

just asking....did not God incarnate?...homousis?

Do u know about the concepts of Trancendence/Imanence ?...if so, what is your understanding?
                          Question: "What is pantheism?"

https://www.gotquestions.org/pantheism.html

https://www.gotquestions.org/God-transcendent.html

Comment

• thanks for the links....after reading them it seems to me both Christianity and Islam have a similar stance when it comes to pantheism as well as omnipresence---both reject pantheism as idolatry and in our understanding of the term omnipresent---we have the same reservations/caveats.

As for Transcendence---there are similarities and some difference as well. I agree that God is unlike anything in creation. There is a saying of the Prophet that God is unlike anything we can think of or imagine. But, we can know (in a limited way) God through his "signs" (revelation, creation, knowledge) and mystics of all religions have "experienced" (in a limited way) Divine Presence. But, we can only know of God what God wills/allows.

Christians come to a relationship with (Transcendent) God through Jesus Christ...?...
                            For Muslims, it would be through God's word---the Quran......

Comment

Christians come to a relationship with (Transcendent) God through Jesus Christ...?...
                              For Muslims, it would be through God's word---the Quran......
                              Jesus is the Word of God incarnate, so compare the Christ Jesus with the Qur'an.

Comment

• here is a talk by a Catholic about his impressions/opinions on the Jesus of the Quran
                                ...it is a different perspective than what I as a Muslim thinks the Quran is/might be saying....

the talk begins at 24:26
                                its by Klaus Von Stosch

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X