Announcement

Collapse

Islam Guidelines

Theists only.

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to Islam. This forum is generally for theists only, and is not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theist may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Muhammad mentioned by name in the Song of Songs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by siam View Post

Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) in the New Testament:

Al-Qur'an Chapter 61 Verse 6:

"And remember, Jesus, the son of Mary, said, 'O Children of Israel! I am the messenger of Allah (sent) to you, confirming the Law (which came) before me and giving glad tidings of a messenger to come after me, whose name shall be Ahmed.' But when he came to them with clear signs, they said, 'This is evident sorcery!' "

All the prophecies mentioned in the Old Testament regarding Muhammad (pbuh) besides applying to the Jews also hold good for the Christians.

John chapter 14 verse 16:
    "And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you forever."

Gospel of John chapter 15 verse 26:

"But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which
    proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me."

Gospel of John chapter 16 verse 7:

"Nevertheless I tell you the truth; it is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not
    come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you".

"Ahmed" or "Muhammad" meaning "the one who praises" or "the praised one" is almost the translation of the
    Greek word Periclytos. In the Gospel of John 14:16, 15:26, and 16:7. The word 'Comforter' is used in the English translation for the Greek word Paracletos which means advocate or a kind friend rather than a comforter.
    Paracletos is the warped reading for Periclytos. Jesus (pbuh) actually prophesised Ahmed by name. Even the
    Greek word Paraclete refers to the Prophet (pbuh) who is a mercy for all creatures.

Some Christians say that the Comforter mentioned in these prophecies refers to the Holy Sprit. They fail to realise
    that the prophecy clearly says that only if Jesus (pbuh) departs will the Comforter come. The Bible states that the
    Holy Spirit was already present on earth before and during the time of Jesus (pbuh), in the womb of Elizabeth, and again when Jesus (pbuh) was being baptised, etc. Hence this prophecy refers to none other than Prophet
    Muhammad (pbuh).

Gospel of John chapter 16 verse 12-14:

"I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now. Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth is
    come, he will guide you unto all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. He shall glorify me".

The Sprit of Truth, spoken about in this prophecy referes to none other than Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)
    NOTE: All quotations of the Bible are taken from the King James Version.
    It is very important that you know the context of these Scriptures.

Jesus was speaking to His disciples. He said the Comforter/Advocate would come to them in their lifetime.

John 14:16 — And I will ask the Father and He will give you another Comforter to be with you forever - the Spirit of Truth.

The Comforter will be with these disciples forever. Jesus promised the Comforter would be with these disciples forever. Muhammad could not be the Comforter because he wasn't born until over 500 years later - following the deaths of these disciples. He was born around 570 and died around 632 AD.

John 14:17 — But you know him for he lives with you and will be in you.

The Comforter lives with the disciples already now and will later be 'in' them. The Holy Spirit came to the disciples and indwelt them. Muhammad could not be the Comforter because first he wasn't around at the time when Jesus was speaking to his disciples nor second could he ever be in any of the disciples. The Greek word is 'en', and it means 'right inside'. Jesus is saying that the Comforter will be 'right inside' of the disciples.

John 14:26 — The Comforter is specifically described as the Holy Spirit. The Comforter is not a man. Muhammad could not be the Comforter because he was never the Holy Spirit.

John 14:26 — The Comforter will be sent in Jesus' name. The Holy Spirit represented the Lord on earth. No Muslim believes that Muhammad was sent by God in Jesus name. Muhammad did not come in Jesus' name, as the apostle of Jesus, rather he came in his own name with his own questionable “revelations”.

John 14:26 — But the Comforter, the Holy Spirit whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you."

The Comforter will teach these disciples and remind them of what Christ said to them. As the early Christians grew the Holy Spirit taught them. Muhammad is not the Comforter because he never knew the disciples and he didn't teach these disciples, and Muhammad never reminded the disciples of what Christ said.

John 15:26 — When the Comforter comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth who goes out from the Father, he will testify about me.

The Comforter would be sent to these disciples. These disciples received the Holy Spirit on the day of Pentecost. Muhammad was never sent to these disciples.

John 16:13 — But when he, the Spirit of Truth comes, he will guide you into all truth.

The Comforter will guide these disciples into all truth. These disciples (and others) grew in the knowledge of God through the revelations from the Holy Spirit. Muhammad never guided these disciples into any truth.

John 16:13 — He will not speak on his own, he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come.

The Comforter will speak to these disciples. These disciples grew to know the leading of the Holy Spirit, i.e. they knew His voice. Muhammad never spoke to these disciples.

John 16:14 — He will bring glory to me by taking from what is mine and making it known to you. All that belongs to the Father is mine. That is why I said the Spirit will take from what is mine and make it known to you.

The Comforter will take from Jesus and make it known to the disciples. Muhammad never knew Jesus and never took from Jesus and made it known to anyone.

The context of these passages shows clearly that Muhammad could not be the Comforter.

Source: Silas of AI

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      Christian3, go here http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/pr...do=editprofile and set your faith in your profile please.
      Done.

Comment

The Christians say that this prophecy refers to Jesus (pbuh) because Jesus (pbuh) was like Moses (pbuh). Moses (pbuh) was a Jew, as well as Jesus (pbuh) was a Jew. Moses (pbuh) was a Prophet and Jesus (pbuh) was also a Prophet.

If these two are the only criteria for this prophecy to be fulfilled, then all the Prophets of the Bible who came after
        Moses (pbuh) such as Solomon, Isaiah, Ezekiel, Daniel, Hosea, Joel, Malachi, John the Baptist, etc. (pbut) will
        fulfill this prophecy since all were Jews as well as prophets.

However, it is Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) who is like Moses (pbuh):

i)

Both had a father and a mother, while Jesus (pbuh) was born miraculously without any male intervention.

[Mathew 1:18 and Luke 1:35 and also Al-Qur'an 3:42-47]

ii)
        Both were married and had children. Jesus (pbuh) according to the Bible did not marry nor had children.

iii)
        Both died natural deaths. Jesus (pbuh) has been raised up alive. (4:157-158)

Muhammad (pbuh) is from among the brethren of Moses (pbuh). Arabs are brethren of Jews. Abraham (pbuh) had two sons: Ishmail and Isaac (pbut). The Arabs are the descendants of Ishmail (pbuh) and the Jews are the descendants of Isaac (pbuh).

Words in the mouth:

Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) was unlettered and whatever revelations he received from Almighty God he repeated them verbatim.

"I will raise them up a Prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee, and will put my words in his mouth; and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him."

[Deuteronomy 18:18]

iv)
        Both besides being Prophets were also kings i.e. they could inflict capital punishment. Jesus (pbuh) said, "My kingdom is not of this world." (John 18:36).

v)
        Both were accepted as Prophets by their people in their lifetime but Jesus (pbuh) was rejected by his
        people. John chapter 1 verse 11 states, "He came unto his own, but his own received him not."

iv)
        Both brought new laws and new regulations for their people. Jesus (pbuh) according to the Bible did not bring any new laws. (Mathew 5:17-18).
        Moses and Jesus compared:
        1. Great Lawgiver for his nation. Jesus taught on his own authority the laws of God and raised observance of those laws to a new and higher level (Matthew chapters 5, 6 & 7): He taught as an authority and the people were amazed (Matthew 7:28-29); He selected and taught the two greatest laws (Matthew 22:35-40); He gave a new commandment (John 13:34-35); and at the very end of His teaching and leadership on earth, He delivered orders to His followers regarding "all that I have commanded you." (Matt. 28:19-20)

2. One of the Two Men who were commissioned by God to make laws for the Israelite nation. The approval of Heaven on both was shown by great signs and miracles. At the time of Moses there was the Exodus from the hand of ancient Pharaoh, feeding with manna and quails and with water from the rocks. At the time of Jesus there was healing crippled, blind, deaf, speechless and epileptics. He even threw demons out of people. Many dead people were raised back to life and health (also see Matt. 27:52-52); feeding of 5000 and of 4000 men, plus women and children.

3. Had His Face Glow With Light, but it faded away (Exodus 34:29-35 and 2nd Corinthians 3:12-13). The face of Jesus shined like the sun (Matthew 17:1-5) and is still shining like the sun while in heaven (Revelation 1:9-19).

4. Deliverer of His Brethren who would Follow Him Out of Physical Slavery then he gave them the law. Jesus came and gave law and commandments to His followers. Then He delivered them and other followers around the world out of the spiritual slavery of sin and Satan.

5. Was Born into a Situation When his Brethren were being Oppressed by Pharaoh. Jesus was born into the time when the pagan idolatrous Roman empire was oppressing His brethren.

6. Was Born in a Country where a Man, Pharaoh, was Worshiped as God. When Jesus was born the ruling Romans worshiped Caesar as God.

7. Grew up in a Country where the King, Pharaoh, was Afraid that the Slaves would Revolt. Jesus grew up where King Herod, "the Great," was afraid the descendants of those very same slaves would revolt.

8. Was Nursed a Short Time at His Birthplace, Then was Moved for His Safety. The infant Moses was placed in a floating basket in the Nile (Exodus 2 and Acts 7:20). Jesus was nursed a short time in Bethlehem and then was taken to Egypt for safety (Matt. 2).

9. Was Nursed by His Own Mother while the Official Government Policy was to Try Kill Him. King Herod tried to kill the infant Jesus (Matt. 2).

10. Father was a Mystery to the General Public. The Father of Jesus and the facts of His virgin birth were a mystery to the general public (Luke 1).

11. Was Adopted into the Royal Family of Pharaoh. Jesus was adopted by His step-father, Joseph, into the royal family line of King David and Solomon (Matt. 1).

12. Rejected being Kingly in Life-style (Hebrews 11:23-29). Jesus did not have the life-style of royalty (Matt. 4:8-11; John 6:15 & 18:36).

13. Lived in Egypt. Jesus lived in Egypt as an infant (Matt. 2:13-21).

14. Came Out of Egypt to Serve God and be A Lawgiver and Leader. Jesus came out of Egypt to be a lawgiver and leader.

15. 40 Years was Tested in Wilderness. Jesus was tested 40 days in the wilderness and had approximately 40 months of public teaching and miracle working.

16. 40 Days Fasting (Exodus 34:28). Jesus fasted 40 days (Matt. 4).

17. A Shepherd of sheep. Jesus is the Great Good Shepherd of His followers (John 10:11-16).

18. The White Hand of Leprosy (Exodus 4:6-7). Jesus healed many different people of leprosy (Luke 17:11-19).

19. Asked that the great Sin of His People be Forgiven (Exodus 32:31-32). Jesus asked that the great sin of His people be forgiven (Luke 23:34).

20. Had the cloud of God and the voice of God as a witness of his authority (Numbers 11:24-25). Jesus had the cloud of God and the voice of God as a witness of His authority (Matthew 17:24-25).

21. Exercised power from God over forces of nature such as wind and water. At the Red (Reed) Sea, he walked through on dry ground (Exodus 14). Jesus walked on water and instantly calmed a storm (Matt. 14).

22. Fire was important. At Mt. Horeb/Mt. Sinai there was fire (Ex. 3:1-6; 19:18 and 24:12-18) and there was the pillar of fire (Ex. 13:21-22). Jesus baptized the people with the Holy Spirit and with fire (Matt. 3:11-17 and Acts 2:1-4) and at the Transfiguration His face shined like the fire of the sun (John 17:1-3). Also see 2 Thessalonians 1:6-7; 1 Corinthians 3:11-14; Hebrews 12:29; and 2 Peter 3:1-14.

23. Was faithful as a Servant in all his house (Hebrews 3:5). Jesus was faithful as a Son over His house (Hebrews 3:6).

24. Brought water from a rock by a miracle of God (Exodus 17). Jesus Himself was the Living Water which was brought out of the tomb-rock which could not hold Him (John 7:37-38).

25. Asked that his nation be saved or else that his own name be blotted out of the Lord's book (Exodus 32:31-32). Jesus was willing to die, and did die, and was resurrected and thereby shown to be the perfect and acceptable ransom for sin.

26. A mountain was prominent in his work where the law was given for a nation. A mountain was prominent in the work of Jesus. He gave the famous Sermon on the Mountain with the law for people of all nations (Matthew 5, 6, & 7).

27. His followers were angry when other people showed performing signs (Numbers 11:26-29). Followers of Jesus did the same (Mark 9:38-40).

28. An angel watched over his body (Jude 9). Jesus had at least two angels watching over His body (John 20).

29. Had revealed to him the special sacred memorial or covenant Name of God (often called "Jehovah" in English) (Exodus 3:13-15). That special name was bestowed to Jesus (Philippians 2:5-11).

30. Was mighty in words and deeds (Acts 7:22). Jesus was more powerful in words and deeds (Matt. 7:28-29; and 8:3-13).

31. Sent 12 men to look over the land secretly (Numbers 12). Jesus sent out his 12 disciples to look over the same land and to publicly preach repentance and to cast out unclean spirits (Mark 6:6-13).

32. Did not have special clothing symbolic of his rank. Jesus also did not have special clothing showing His rank.

33. Did not have biological sons to carry on his spiritual functions. Neither did Jesus.

34. Was very gracious to foreign women at wells and gave them water (Exodus 2:15-17). Jesus was gracious to the Samaritian woman at Jacob's well and gave her the Water of Life (John 4). He was also gracious to: Mary Magdalene out of whom He threw 7 demons (Mark 16:9); Marium and Martha the sisters of Lazarus (Luke 10:38-41 and John 11); the woman arrested during adultery and he commanded her to stop sinning (John 8); the widow at Nain and He brought her son back to life (Luke 7:11-17); and He allowed the women to be the first to know that He had been raised from the dead (Matt. 28 and Mark 16).

35. True identity was not known at first to the women at the well (Exodus 2). The true identity of Jesus was not known at first to the woman at the well (John 4).

36. Lived modestly, only once being given an offering (Leviticus 8:29). Jesus lived a very modest life, sometimes not even owning a place to sleep (Luke 9:58).

37. Was involved in the activities of the holy Tabernacle on earth (Exodus 25-40). Jesus is involved in the perfect Tabernacle in Heaven made by God (Hebrews 8).

38. Was humble. Jesus was gentle and humble (Matt. 11:28-30).

39. Gave blessings from God to be given via Aaron to the people (Numbers 6:22-27). Jesus gave blessing from God to the people (Matt. 5:1-12) and told His followers to bless others (Luke 6:27-28).

40. Got complaints from the people who had been trained to write (Exodus 5:13-23). Jesus got complaints from the scribes (writers of the law) (Matt. 9:2-8; 16:21; and 21:12-16).

41. Opponent, Pharaoh, had his heart hardened (Ex. 7:3). Jesus' opponents had their hearts hardened because He healed on the Sabbath (Luke 6:7-11).

42. Law caused severe punishment, even death. Even greater punishment is against those who go back against Jesus (Hebrews 10:28-31).

43. Spoke to the 70 elders of Israel (Ex. 24:1 and Numbers 11). Jesus spoke to the 70 elders (called the Sanhedrin) (Luke 22:70-71).

44. Had sacrifices for the Covenant sealed with blood (Ex. 24:1-8). Jesus also sealed His new Covenant with blood (Hebrews 9:18-28).

45. Provided ransom by pouring out blood as a sacrifice (Ex. 12). Jesus similarly (Matt. 20:28 & Hebrews 9:11-15).

46. Closed the way to the Ark of the Covenant (Testimony) with a thick curtain (Ex. 26:33). Jesus, at His death, had the thick curtain in the temple torn open from top to bottom, opening the way (Matt 27 and Mark 15).

47. Was almost stoned by his brethren (Ex. 17:4). And Jesus also (John 8:58-59).

48. Had a peculiar bed as an infant (Ex. 2:3). Jesus also had a peculiar bed (Luke 2:7).

49. Was raised by the daughter of the king (Ex. 2). Jesus' mother was a daughter of the House of King David by his son, Nathan (Luke 3).

50. Was raised in the house of a man who was not his father, but he was adopted into the family (Ex. 2). Jesus was raised in the house of Joseph who was not His biological father, but He was adopted into the family (Matt. 1:18 & 25 and Acts 7:20-21).

51. Fought against the masters of evil (Ex. 5-12). Jesus battled Satan (Matt. 4:1-10).

52. Left a high position in the most powerful nation on earth to suffer for his people (Exodus 2-12 and Hebrews 11:23-27). Jesus left the highest position in Heaven to suffer for His people and to make ransom available to all people (Philippians 2:5-8).

53. Spoke the words of God (Deuteronomy 18:18 and others). Jesus spoke the words of God, the Father (John 12:50 & 14:10).

54. Spoke by God's authority (Deut. 18:19). Jesus spoke by God's authority (John 8:42 & 17:4-6).

55. Fed multitudes of people by miracles (Ex. 16). Jesus fed multitudes (Matt. 14 and 15).

56. Opened an era of law (Ex. 19 & 20). Jesus opened an era of grace and truth (John 1:17).

57. Established a memorial custom (Feast of Unleavened Bread and Passover) based on common food elements (Ex. 12). Jesus established the memorial of Himself by a custom utilizing two common food elements of the Feast of Unleavened Bread and Passover (Luke 22:19-20).

58. Finished the work which God commanded him (Ex. 40:33). Jesus completed His work (John 17:4 and & 19:30).

59. Does not have a known tomb where the body is located (Deut. 34). Jesus' tomb is empty because after death, he was raised up alive and ascended into Heaven (Mark 16:19 and Luke 24:50-53).

60. Reappeared unto men after death (Matt. 17:3). Jesus reappeared to people, even to 500 at once, after His death and resurrection (Matt. 28; Mark 16; Luke 24; John 20 & 21; and Acts 1:1-3).

61. Was rejected by his family (Numbers 12). Jesus' own half-brothers rejected Him at first (Matt. 13:55 & John 7:5). But, later at least two were believers and wrote the two New Testament books of James and Jude.

Here are some of the observations of eye witnesses of the life of Jesus, the prophet.

The people said after Jesus fed over 5,000 people, "This is of a truth the Prophet who is to come into the world. ... They were intending to come and take Him by force, to make Him King..." (John 6:14-15). Philip proclaimed, "We have found Him of whom Moses in the Law and also the Prophets wrote, Jesus of Nazareth, the [adopted step-] son of Joseph." (John 1:45). Andrew said, "We have found the Messiah." (John 1:14). Nethanael declared, "Rabbi, You are the Son of God." (John 1:49). Peter preached that the Prophet of Deuteronomy 18:18 is Jesus and that "God announced beforehand by the mouth of all the prophets that His Messiah should suffer He has thus fulfilled. " (Acts 3:18-27). Also see Stephen's message (Acts 7:37 & 52).
        Jesus stated that Moses wrote about Him (Luke 24:27 and John 5:46).

Analysis by Dawud Jabal

Comment

Originally posted by Christian3 View Post
          I'll take each of your "Muhammad in the Bible" Scriptures in separate posts.

Let's look &:157 in context:

Literal
          (Word by Word) Those who follow the Messenger, the unlettered Prophet, whom they find him written with them in the Taurat and the Injeel. He commands them to the right and forbids them from the wrong, and he makes lawful for them the pure things and makes unlawful for them the impure things and he relieves from them their burden and the fetters which were upon them. So those who believe in him and honor him, and help him and follow the light which has been sent down with him. Those (are) [they] the successful ones."

"unlettered prophet" means Muhammad was not taught -- he did not go to school -- correct?
          There are 2 approaches to understanding the Arabic word translated as "unlettered"---1) is to understand that the Prophet (pbuh) was not learned in the previous scriptures (and/or languages of those scriptures) or 2) The Prophet (pbuh) did not know how to read or write. (The Prophet (pbuh) did not write the Quran or any of the peace treaties or other documents---they were dictated to scribes).

For most Muslims, the Torah, Injeel, Zabur, or other scriptures are not that important---therefore the mention/non-mention of the Prophet in any of these scriptures is not a big deal. Surah 7, verse 156 is a prayer for Guidance, and 156, 157 is a reply. This prayer (156) is part of verse 155 and it was prayed by Prophet Moses (pbuh). Those who use/are familiar with---the previous scriptures can choose to see the signs there if they want....for most Muslims the Quran is their scripture so it is not necessary to go look to other scriptures......

(verse 155....
          ...And Moses chose seventy of his people for Our place of meeting: when they were seized with violent quaking he prayed: "O my Lord! if it had been Thy will Thou couldst have destroyed long before both them and me: wouldst Thou destroy us for the deeds of the foolish one among us? This is no more than Thy trial: by it Thou causest whom Thou wilt to stray and Thou leadest whom Thou wilt into the right path. Thou art our protector: so forgive us and give us Thy mercy; for Thou art the best of those who forgive. )

Comment

Moses and Jesus compared:
            1. Great Lawgiver for his nation. Jesus taught on his own authority the laws of God and raised observance of those laws to a new and higher level (Matthew chapters 5, 6 & 7): He taught as an authority and the people were amazed (Matthew 7:28-29); He selected and taught the two greatest laws (Matthew 22:35-40); He gave a new commandment (John 13:34-35); and at the very end of His teaching and leadership on earth, He delivered orders to His followers regarding "all that I have commanded you"
            So, your criteria of "great lawgiver" is one who gives 2 laws instead of the 613 mitzvot?

Comment

Surah Al-Ikhlas (Purity) 112

This is an early Meccan Surah---and its audience would have been the Meccan polytheists. The Meccan Supreme God had daughters and this Surah is teaching them about the concept of Tawheed (Unity)---One God.

The "one" used here is "ahad" in Arabic (verse 1)---it connotes "unique" as opposed to a numerical one. (Hebrew = Echad)
              In the Arabic, the ending of the next verse rhymes with the ending of the first---the word is "Samad" In the Tafsir of Yusuf Ali, 2 understanding of this word is given 1) All "existence" except that of God is temporal/conditional 2) God is independent---but all creation is dependent on God.

the 3rd verse clearly restates the concept of "one" (Ahad) means there are no offspring/Parents (neither sons nor daughters nor Father nor Mother) of God.

and the 4rth verse restates that "ahad" connotes Uniqueness---"there is none like unto him"

The core essence of Islam is explained in 4 poetic verses using words of profound meaning as well as pleasant sound.

Comment

So, your criteria of "great lawgiver" is one who gives 2 laws instead of the 613 mitzvot?
                "Great Lawgiver for his nation. Jesus taught on his own authority the laws of God and raised observance of those laws to a new and higher level"

Jesus improved on the law.

Siam, your list of Muhammad and Moses are alike was sort of like saying they both had brown eyes and Jesus' was blue.

Jesus and Moses were uniquely alike.

Besides taking Deuteronomy 18 in context leaves Muhammad out. The prophet like Moses would come from their brothers the tribes of Israel.

Also, I don't think the following verses of the Qur'an are about Muhammad:

Surah 7:157

Literal
                (Word by Word) Those who follow the Messenger, the unlettered Prophet, whom they find him written with them in the Taurat and the Injeel. He commands them to the right and forbids them from the wrong, and he makes lawful for them the pure things and makes unlawful for them the impure things and he relieves from them their burden and the fetters which were upon them. So those who believe in him and honor him, and help him and follow the light which has been sent down with him. Those (are) [they] the successful ones."

Surah 7:158

Literal
                (Word by Word) Say, "O mankind! Indeed I am (the) Messenger (of) Allah to you all, the One for Whom (is the) dominion (of) the heavens and the earth. (There is) no god except Him, He gives life and causes death. So believe in Allah and His Messenger, the unlettered [the] Prophet the one who believes in Allah and His Words, and follow so that you may (be) guided."

They could be about Jesus and that is why we can't find Muhammad foretold in the Bible.

Comment

So, apparently the bible mentions me in two places.

Job 5:7
                  Yet man is born to trouble as surely as sparks fly upward.

Job 41:19
                  Flames stream from its mouth; sparks of fire shoot out.

Comment

"Great Lawgiver for his nation. Jesus taught on his own authority the laws of God and raised observance of those laws to a new and higher level"

Jesus improved on the law.

Siam, your list of Muhammad and Moses are alike was sort of like saying they both had brown eyes and Jesus' was blue.

Jesus and Moses were uniquely alike.

Besides taking Deuteronomy 18 in context leaves Muhammad out. The prophet like Moses would come from their brothers the tribes of Israel.

Also, I don't think the following verses of the Qur'an are about Muhammad:

Surah 7:157

Literal

Surah 7:158

Literal
                    (Word by Word) Say, "O mankind! Indeed I am (the) Messenger (of) Allah to you all, the One for Whom (is the) dominion (of) the heavens and the earth. (There is) no god except Him, He gives life and causes death. So believe in Allah and His Messenger, the unlettered [the] Prophet the one who believes in Allah and His Words, and follow so that you may (be) guided."

They could be about Jesus and that is why we can't find Muhammad foretold in the Bible.
                    Deuteronomy 18 ---
                    "I will raise them up a Prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee, and I will put my words in his mouth; and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him."

The Quran traces the brotherhood between Jews and Muslims to the Prophet Abraham and his two sons (peace be upon them). (see Quran, Surah 2 verses 122-141)
                    132. And Abraham enjoined upon his sons and so did Jacob; "Oh my sons! God has chosen the faith for you; then die not except in a state of submission (to me) (= muslim)
                    133. Were you witnesses when death appeared before Jacob? Behold, he said to his sons: "what will you worship after me?" They said: "We shall your God and the God of your fathers, of Abraham, Ismail, and Isaac, the one and only God; to him do we submit.
                    134. That was a people that has passed away. They shall reap the fruit of what they did and you of what you do. You shall not be asked about what they did.
                    135. They say: "Become Jews or Christians if you would be guided (to salvation)" Say you; No (I would rather) the religion of Abraham the true, and he joined not gods with God".
                    136. Say you "We believe in God and the revelation given to us, and to Abraham, Ismail, Isaac, Jacob and the tribes, and that given to Moses and Jesus, and that given to all Prophets from their Lord: We make no difference between one and another of them: and we submit to God.

"My Words"----Muslims understand the Quran as the "words of God". The Prophet simply recited these words as commanded by God.

Surah 7 verses 157, 158
                    The verses could refer to Prophet Jesus (pbuh) if "unlettered" were excluded. Prophet Jesus was knowledgeable of Jewish scriptures. This is explained in Surah 3 verse 48, 51 (...also hinted at in Luke 2:46,47.)

Verse 48. "And God will teach him the Book and Wisdom, the Torah and the Injil,"

which is why, from a Muslim perspective---the reference is to Prophet Muhammed.
                    Last edited by siam; 05-05-2017, 09:36 AM.

Comment

Surah Al-Ikhlas (Purity) 112

This is an early Meccan Surah---and its audience would have been the Meccan polytheists. The Meccan Supreme God had daughters and this Surah is teaching them about the concept of Tawheed (Unity)---One God.

The "one" used here is "ahad" in Arabic (verse 1)---it connotes "unique" as opposed to a numerical one. (Hebrew = Echad)
                      In the Arabic, the ending of the next verse rhymes with the ending of the first---the word is "Samad" In the Tafsir of Yusuf Ali, 2 understanding of this word is given 1) All "existence" except that of God is temporal/conditional 2) God is independent---but all creation is dependent on God.

the 3rd verse clearly restates the concept of "one" (Ahad) means there are no offspring/Parents (neither sons nor daughters nor Father nor Mother) of God.

and the 4rth verse restates that "ahad" connotes Uniqueness---"there is none like unto him"

The core essence of Islam is explained in 4 poetic verses using words of profound meaning as well as pleasant sound.
                      You do know that Christians worship only God, don't you?

Comment

Deuteronomy 18 ---
                        "I will raise them up a Prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee, and I will put my words in his mouth; and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him."

The Quran traces the brotherhood between Jews and Muslims to the Prophet Abraham and his two sons (peace be upon them). (see Quran, Surah 2 verses 122-141)
                        132. And Abraham enjoined upon his sons and so did Jacob; "Oh my sons! God has chosen the faith for you; then die not except in a state of submission (to me) (= muslim)
                        133. Were you witnesses when death appeared before Jacob? Behold, he said to his sons: "what will you worship after me?" They said: "We shall your God and the God of your fathers, of Abraham, Ismail, and Isaac, the one and only God; to him do we submit.
                        134. That was a people that has passed away. They shall reap the fruit of what they did and you of what you do. You shall not be asked about what they did.
                        135. They say: "Become Jews or Christians if you would be guided (to salvation)" Say you; No (I would rather) the religion of Abraham the true, and he joined not gods with God".
                        136. Say you "We believe in God and the revelation given to us, and to Abraham, Ismail, Isaac, Jacob and the tribes, and that given to Moses and Jesus, and that given to all Prophets from their Lord: We make no difference between one and another of them: and we submit to God.

"My Words"----Muslims understand the Quran as the "words of God". The Prophet simply recited these words as commanded by God.

Surah 7 verses 157, 158
                        The verses could refer to Prophet Jesus (pbuh) if "unlettered" were excluded. Prophet Jesus was knowledgeable of Jewish scriptures. This is explained in Surah 3 verse 48, 51 (...also hinted at in Luke 2:46,47.)

Verse 48. "And God will teach him the Book and Wisdom, the Torah and the Injil,"

which is why, from a Muslim perspective---the reference is to Prophet Muhammed.
                        Everyone acknowledges that Abraham had two sons.

The context of Deuteronomy 18 confirms that the brothers would come from the remaining 11 tribes of Israel.

Many Muslims say that Muhammad was illiterate, but the Qur'an says he was unlettered, he wasn't schooled.

those who follow the Messenger the uninstructed Prophet Muhammad s whom they will find inscribed in their Torah and Gospel in name and description enjoining them to decency and forbidding them indecency making lawful for them the good things which were forbidden to them by their Law and making unlawful for them the vile things such as carrion and the like and relieving them of their burden their onus and the shackles the hardships that they used to bear such as the requirement to kill oneself as a repentance and the severing of that part that had come into contact with any impurity. Then those who believe in him from among them and honour revere him and help him and follow the light that has been revealed with him namely the Qur’ān they are the ones who will prosper’.

http://altafsir.com/Tafasir.asp?tMad...&UserProfile=0

Jesus was unlettered.

John 714 When the festival was already half over, Jesus went up into the temple complex and began to teach. 15 Then the Jews were amazed and said, “How does He know the Scriptures, since He hasn’t been trained?”

John 7:14-15New American Standard Bible (NASB)

14 But when it was now the midst of the feast Jesus went up into the temple, and began to teach. 15 The Jews then were astonished, saying, “How has this man become learned, having never been educated?”

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          So, apparently the bible mentions me in two places.

Job 5:7
                          Yet man is born to trouble as surely as sparks fly upward.

Job 41:19
                          Flames stream from its mouth; sparks of fire shoot out.
                          Pfft.

Psalm 103:4 who redeems your life from the pit, who crowns you with steadfast love and mercy,

Song of Solomon 7:5 Your head crowns you like Carmel, and your flowing locks are like purple; a king is held captive in the tresses.

Isaiah 23:8 Who has purposed this against Tyre, the bestower of crowns, whose merchants were princes, whose traders were the honored of the earth?

Ezekiel 23:42 The sound of a carefree multitude was with her; and with men of the common sort, drunkards were brought from the wilderness; and they put bracelets on the hands of the women, and beautiful crowns on their heads.

Revelation 4:4 Around the throne were twenty-four thrones, and seated on the thrones were twenty-four elders, clothed in white garments, with golden crowns on their heads.

Revelation 4:10 the twenty-four elders fall down before him who is seated on the throne and worship him who lives forever and ever. They cast their crowns before the throne, saying,

Revelation 9:7 In appearance the locusts were like horses prepared for battle: on their heads were what looked like crowns of gold; their faces were like human faces,

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                            Pfft.

Psalm 103:4 who redeems your life from the pit, who crowns you with steadfast love and mercy,

Song of Solomon 7:5 Your head crowns you like Carmel, and your flowing locks are like purple; a king is held captive in the tresses.

Isaiah 23:8 Who has purposed this against Tyre, the bestower of crowns, whose merchants were princes, whose traders were the honored of the earth?

Ezekiel 23:42 The sound of a carefree multitude was with her; and with men of the common sort, drunkards were brought from the wilderness; and they put bracelets on the hands of the women, and beautiful crowns on their heads.

Revelation 4:4 Around the throne were twenty-four thrones, and seated on the thrones were twenty-four elders, clothed in white garments, with golden crowns on their heads.

Revelation 4:10 the twenty-four elders fall down before him who is seated on the throne and worship him who lives forever and ever. They cast their crowns before the throne, saying,

Revelation 9:7 In appearance the locusts were like horses prepared for battle: on their heads were what looked like crowns of gold; their faces were like human faces,
                            Mine is earlier

Scripture Verse: Genesis 1:24

And God said, Let the earth bring forth the living creature after his kind, cattle, and creeping thing, and beast of the earth after his kind: and it was so.

© Copyright Original Source

We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore on Christ's behalf: 'Be reconciled to God!!'
                            - 2 Corinthians 5:20.
                            In deviantArt: ll-bisto-ll.deviantart.com
                            Christian art and more: Christians.deviantart.com

Comment

Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) in the Old Testament:

The Qur’an mentions in Surah Al-Araf chapter 7 verse 157:

"Those who follow the Messenger, the unlettered Prophet, whom they find mentioned in their own (scriptures) in the law and the Gospel".

MUHAMMAD (PBUH) PROPHESISED IN THE BOOK OF DEUTERONOMY:

Almighty God speaks to Moses in Book of Deuteronomy chapter 18 verse 18:

The Christians say that this prophecy refers to Jesus (pbuh) because Jesus (pbuh) was like Moses (pbuh). Moses (pbuh) was a Jew, as well as Jesus (pbuh) was a Jew. Moses (pbuh) was a Prophet and Jesus (pbuh) was also a Prophet.

If these two are the only criteria for this prophecy to be fulfilled, then all the Prophets of the Bible who came after
                              Moses (pbuh) such as Solomon, Isaiah, Ezekiel, Daniel, Hosea, Joel, Malachi, John the Baptist, etc. (pbut) will
                              fulfill this prophecy since all were Jews as well as prophets.

However, it is Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) who is like Moses (pbuh):

i)

Both had a father and a mother, while Jesus (pbuh) was born miraculously without any male intervention.

[Mathew 1:18 and Luke 1:35 and also Al-Qur'an 3:42-47]

ii)
                              Both were married and had children. Jesus (pbuh) according to the Bible did not marry nor had children.

iii)
                              Both died natural deaths. Jesus (pbuh) has been raised up alive. (4:157-158)

Muhammad (pbuh) is from among the brethren of Moses (pbuh). Arabs are brethren of Jews. Abraham (pbuh) had two sons: Ishmail and Isaac (pbut). The Arabs are the descendants of Ishmail (pbuh) and the Jews are the descendants of Isaac (pbuh).

Words in the mouth:

Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) was unlettered and whatever revelations he received from Almighty God he repeated them verbatim.

"I will raise them up a Prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee, and will put my words in his mouth; and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him."

[Deuteronomy 18:18]

iv)
                              Both besides being Prophets were also kings i.e. they could inflict capital punishment. Jesus (pbuh) said, "My kingdom is not of this world." (John 18:36).

v)
                              Both were accepted as Prophets by their people in their lifetime but Jesus (pbuh) was rejected by his
                              people. John chapter 1 verse 11 states, "He came unto his own, but his own received him not."

iv)
                              Both brought new laws and new regulations for their people. Jesus (pbuh) according to the Bible did not bring any new laws. (Mathew 5:17-18).

It is Mentioned in the book of Deuteronomy chapter 18:19

"And it shall come to pass, that whosoever will not harken unto my words which he shall speak in my name, I will require it of him."

Muhammad (pbuh) is prophesised in the book of Isaiah:

It is mentioned in the book of Isaiah chapter 29 verse 12:

"And the book is delivered to him that is not learned, saying, Read this, I pray thee: and he saith, I am not learned."

When Archangel Gabrail commanded Muhammad (pbuh) by saying Iqra - "Read", he replied, "I am not learned".

prophet Muhammad (pbuh) mentioned by name in the old testament:

Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) is mentioned by name in the Song of Solomon chapter 5 verse 16:

"Hikko Mamittakim we kullo Muhammadim Zehdoodeh wa Zehraee Bayna Jerusalem."

"His mouth is most sweet: yea, he is altogether lovely. This is my beloved, and this is my friend, O daughters
                              of Jerusalem."

In the Hebrew language im is added for respect. Similarely im is added after the name of Prophet Muhammad
                              (pbuh) to make it Muhammadim. In English translation they have even translated the name of Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) as "altogether lovely", but in the Old Testament in Hebrew, the name of Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) is yet present.

Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) in the New Testament:

Al-Qur'an Chapter 61 Verse 6:

"And remember, Jesus, the son of Mary, said, 'O Children of Israel! I am the messenger of Allah (sent) to you, confirming the Law (which came) before me and giving glad tidings of a messenger to come after me, whose name shall be Ahmed.' But when he came to them with clear signs, they said, 'This is evident sorcery!' "

All the prophecies mentioned in the Old Testament regarding Muhammad (pbuh) besides applying to the Jews also hold good for the Christians.

John chapter 14 verse 16:
                              "And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you forever."

Gospel of John chapter 15 verse 26:

"But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which
                              proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me."

Gospel of John chapter 16 verse 7:

"Nevertheless I tell you the truth; it is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not
                              come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you".

"Ahmed" or "Muhammad" meaning "the one who praises" or "the praised one" is almost the translation of the
                              Greek word Periclytos. In the Gospel of John 14:16, 15:26, and 16:7. The word 'Comforter' is used in the English translation for the Greek word Paracletos which means advocate or a kind friend rather than a comforter.
                              Paracletos is the warped reading for Periclytos. Jesus (pbuh) actually prophesised Ahmed by name. Even the
                              Greek word Paraclete refers to the Prophet (pbuh) who is a mercy for all creatures.

Some Christians say that the Comforter mentioned in these prophecies refers to the Holy Sprit. They fail to realise
                              that the prophecy clearly says that only if Jesus (pbuh) departs will the Comforter come. The Bible states that the
                              Holy Spirit was already present on earth before and during the time of Jesus (pbuh), in the womb of Elizabeth, and again when Jesus (pbuh) was being baptised, etc. Hence this prophecy refers to none other than Prophet
                              Muhammad (pbuh).

Gospel of John chapter 16 verse 12-14:

"I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now. Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth is
                              come, he will guide you unto all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. He shall glorify me".

The Sprit of Truth, spoken about in this prophecy referes to none other than Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)
                              NOTE: All quotations of the Bible are taken from the King James Version.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              The verse in the Quran that mentions this:---Surah 7, verse 156, 157

156. "And ordain for us that which is good, in this life and in the Hereafter: for we have turned unto Thee." He said: "With My punishment I visit whom I will; but My mercy extends to all things. That (mercy) I shall ordain for those who do right, and practice regular charity, and those who believe in Our signs;-

157. "Those who follow the messenger, the unlettered Prophet, whom they find mentioned in their own (scriptures),- in the law and the Gospel;- for he commands them what is just and forbids them what is evil; he allows them as lawful what is good (and pure) and prohibits them from what is bad (and impure); He releases them from their heavy burdens and from the yokes that are upon them. So it is those who believe in him, honour him, help him, and follow the light which is sent down with him,- it is they who will prosper."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Personally, I am neutral when it comes to such things---since my belief in Islam as "my way" is based on other criteria....
                              Hi Mr. Siam. I don't think we've interacted before. I just want to say that after reading some of your posts and threads in the months I've been here at tweb, I think this comparison (whether Jesus or Muhammad are 'more like' Moses) seems not thoughtful enough to be coming from you. I think your posts are almost always delightful to read -- this time, I was disappointed :(
                              We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore on Christ's behalf: 'Be reconciled to God!!'
                              - 2 Corinthians 5:20.
                              In deviantArt: ll-bisto-ll.deviantart.com
                              Christian art and more: Christians.deviantart.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bisto View Post
                                Hi Mr. Siam. I don't think we've interacted before. I just want to say that after reading some of your posts and threads in the months I've been here at tweb, I think this comparison (whether Jesus or Muhammad are 'more like' Moses) seems not thoughtful enough to be coming from you. I think your posts are almost always delightful to read -- this time, I was disappointed :(
                                In my experience most of his posts are like the one you just quoted. Cherry picks what he wants to believe, and ignores what doesn't fit that.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X