Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Cord Cutting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    That's kinda like all the New Zealand threads on tweb. We need more.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      so weren't you the one who started the last thread about cutting the cord? How did it work out for you and what services do you use?
      Might have been me...

I cut the cord (Directv) and put up an OTA HD antenna. Bought a Silicon Dust dual OTA tuner, hooked up a Windows 7 pc with media center and bought a 1 TB external HD for storage. That gets me all 10 local channels plus DVR. Then I just use Netflix and Hulu for other stuff. (or youtube occasionally)
      "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
        Might have been me...

I cut the cord (Directv) and put up an OTA HD antenna. Bought a Silicon Dust dual OTA tuner, hooked up a Windows 7 pc with media center and bought a 1 TB external HD for storage. That gets me all 10 local channels plus DVR. Then I just use Netflix and Hulu for other stuff. (or youtube occasionally)
        yeah I forgot I still have a silicon dust dual tuner. I havent used it in a while. over the air is not that good in my area. I tried it with an indoor antenna and it was iffy. I would have to put up an antenna on my roof. too lazy.

you might want to look into Plex. it is a media center that also has some online stuff and can work with external tuners and alao lets you access your local media files remotely and stream them to your phone or tablet (that part costs a small fee)

www.plex.tv

it also has apps on amazon fireTV and i think Roku
        Last edited by Sparko; 05-03-2017, 05:14 PM.

Comment

yeah I forgot I still have a silicon dust dual tuner. I havent used it in a while. over the air is not that good in my area. I tried it with an indoor antenna and it was iffy. I would have to put up an antenna on my roof. too lazy.

you might want to look into Plex. it is a media center that also has some online stuff and can work with external tuners and alao lets you access your local media files remotely and stream them to your phone or tablet (that part costs a small fee)

www.plex.tv

it also has apps on amazon fireTV and i think Roku
          What about a good quality antenna in your Attic? How far away are you from the TV transmitters? (this is a good starting place: https://www.antennaweb.org/ ) You can get pretty good amplified ones for around $70 that will probably pull in the signals from an attic mount. I refuse to pay for free TV anymore. But that's me...
          "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
            What about a good quality antenna in your Attic?
            I had one in the house we moved from, and I was very pleasantly surprised that it got all the Houston channels when I aimed it toward Houston, and all the Bryan/College Station channels BEHIND it.... There was quite a wide range of local programming available for FREE.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
              Cutting the cord had a very different meaning for me. Here I was hoping for pics of trees being downed and reduced to pieces for sale....
              cutting the cord (with regards to tv) means stop watching tv, not "how can I get my tv fix somewhere else".

Which I highly recommend doing to everyone. I know it's hard to believe but you simply don't need TV in your life. I still watch the occasional show but it's not an addiction anymore, just something I do when I need to kill time and shut down my brain (IE: during a meal).

Now, cutting down on frivolous computer use is another issue altogether for me.
              "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                cutting the cord (with regards to tv) means stop watching tv, not "how can I get my tv fix somewhere else".

Which I highly recommend doing to everyone. I know it's hard to believe but you simply don't need TV in your life. I still watch the occasional show but it's not an addiction anymore, just something I do when I need to kill time and shut down my brain (IE: during a meal).

Now, cutting down on frivolous computer use is another issue altogether for me.
                It was a JOKE, DE....
                Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                  It was a JOKE, DE....
                  I was mostly using your post as a springboard to preach against TV anyway.
                  "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

I spend way too much time watching TV.

Comment

I spend way too much time watching TV.
                      I used to spend way too much time on Tweb. I'm recovering.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I used to spend way too much time on Tweb. I'm recovering.
                        sure you are.

Comment

tweb is the only thing keeping me from spending too much time watching TV.

Comment

sure you are.
                            My per-day post count is WAY down.

Comment

When I first saw the title of this thread, for some reason the first thing I thought of was the procedures taken after giving birth.
                              ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment

My per-day post count is WAY down.
                                Did you have a goal in mind?

In any case, you were missed
                                But don't you go tellin' anybody I said so smiley beating.gif

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment