Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Cord Cutting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Melody Maker View Post
    When I first saw the title of this thread, for some reason the first thing I thought of was the procedures taken after giving birth.
    What a coinkydink! smiley jawdrop.gif

I was thinkifying pretty near the same thing. I thought to myself, I wonder if MelMak will think this thread is about snipping umbilical cords.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I found this excellent site that lets you choose the channels that are important to you, then finds you the best streaming service or combination of services to get what you want.

https://www.suppose.tv/tv

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        I found this excellent site that lets you choose the channels that are important to you, then finds you the best streaming service or combination of services to get what you want.

https://www.suppose.tv/tv
        Cool - cause in August, we're going off the grid!

(Well, except for gigabit fiber optic internet and cell phones)
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

sure you are.
          Check it out - my daily post count is down to something like 1,793!
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Cool - cause in August, we're going off the grid!

(Well, except for gigabit fiber optic internet and cell phones)
            I am getting closer. Using that tool, I could do it for around $60/month with Youtube TV and Philo. That would give me most of my channels. I am currently paying around $160 for cable and internet. I think the internet alone is about $60, so that would come to $120. Not a huge difference. And I would have to use two different streaming services and their DVRs which seems like a hassle.

Comment

I am getting closer. Using that tool, I could do it for around $60/month with Youtube TV and Philo. That would give me most of my channels. I am currently paying around $160 for cable and internet. I think the internet alone is about $60, so that would come to $120. Not a huge difference. And I would have to use two different streaming services and their DVRs which seems like a hassle.
              just checked. the Internet would be $65.99 plus taxes and modem, so probably around $75. So closer to $135/145.

Comment

Does an HDTV antenna do anything in your area? Before I moved, I had an HDTV antenna in my attic, and I could get most of the Houston channels in High Def for FREE. Now I'm a little closer to Austin, so I don't get as many Houston channels, but I get another couple of stations more local to me, which is better for news and weather. Plus, they're ABC, CBS and NBC affiliates, so most of the shows I watch (NCIS, Blue Bloods) are there, as well. Then all I have to do is hit the "source" button on my TV remote to view those channels, or Netflix or U-Verse or whatever.

We're actually watching less TV, so we mostly just record the stuff we watch, then watch it when we want, skipping through the commercials.

Comment

Does an HDTV antenna do anything in your area? Before I moved, I had an HDTV antenna in my attic, and I could get most of the Houston channels in High Def for FREE. Now I'm a little closer to Austin, so I don't get as many Houston channels, but I get another couple of stations more local to me, which is better for news and weather. Plus, they're ABC, CBS and NBC affiliates, so most of the shows I watch (NCIS, Blue Bloods) are there, as well. Then all I have to do is hit the "source" button on my TV remote to view those channels, or Netflix or U-Verse or whatever.

We're actually watching less TV, so we mostly just record the stuff we watch, then watch it when we want, skipping through the commercials.
                  Yeah I can get most of the channels but if I want to record them or watch them through Plex, I will have to buy a multi-tuner box (so I can record more than one channel at a time) and then I am spending even more money.

Comment

Yeah I can get most of the channels but if I want to record them or watch them through Plex, I will have to buy a multi-tuner box (so I can record more than one channel at a time) and then I am spending even more money.
                    But that's a one time expense, yes? I haven't really looked into how I'm going to record shows from off the air, but I remember seeing something that does that. When I'm ready, I'll see what's currently available at that time.

I've looked at TiVo Roamio -- so far, that's the most promising, I think.

Comment

Oh, and when I built my house, I wired it with HDMI cables going to every room, the garage, the storage shed, and the back porch - all "home runs" to my equipment closet in the house, and I have a 1-8 HDMI video splitter in there. So, whatever I decide is the "source" of my TV can go to that box, and we can watch it anywhere. Since my wife and I very rarely watch different channels, it works out great. Even if we're in different rooms, we can be watching the same show, or move from one room to the other without missing anything.

splitter.jpg

Comment

But that's a one time expense, yes? I haven't really looked into how I'm going to record shows from off the air, but I remember seeing something that does that. When I'm ready, I'll see what's currently available at that time.

Have you looked at the Channel Master Stream+ . I was considering going to it for my next purchase. No subscription needed. Only down side is they don't have a deal with Netflix to stream through it. But, I can stream Netflix through my Amazon FireStick...so...

I'm currently using the Silicon Dust HD Homerun extend. Since upgrading my network drivers on my HTPC, it's working much better so, I'll probably stay with it for a while longer....
                        "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                          Have you looked at the Channel Master Stream+ . I was considering going to it for my next purchase. No subscription needed. Only down side is they don't have a deal with Netflix to stream through it. But, I can stream Netflix through my Amazon FireStick...so...

I'm currently using the Silicon Dust HD Homerun extend. Since upgrading my network drivers on my HTPC, it's working much better so, I'll probably stay with it for a while longer....
                          Hadn't seen that one, but I'll sure give it a look!

Comment

I used to have a Silicon Dust 2 tuner box but it is pretty out of date. It's around 10 years old. They have some 6 tuner models out. https://www.silicondust.com/hdhomerun/
                            They also have some DVR service but it's not worth it. Get Plex (http://PLEX.TV ) and it works with TV tuners to record tv plus it handles all of your local media and lets you stream to your mobile devices and it has a ROKU and Amazon TV app.

Comment

I used to have a Silicon Dust 2 tuner box but it is pretty out of date. It's around 10 years old. They have some 6 tuner models out. https://www.silicondust.com/hdhomerun/
                              They also have some DVR service but it's not worth it. Get Plex (http://PLEX.TV ) and it works with TV tuners to record tv plus it handles all of your local media and lets you stream to your mobile devices and it has a ROKU and Amazon TV app.
                              Yeah, I'm using the DVR service currently but it's only $35 a year.
                              "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

OK so I signed up for Youtube TV (they currently have a two week trial, if you hurry)

I am going to keep both YTV and my cable in parallel for a while to see if I like it. So far there were only 2 or 3 shows that I want to watch but aren't available on YTV (it doesn't have paramount or history), like "Curse of Oak Island" and "Yellowstone" - but I can watch those on their respective channel's apps (I think). If not, I guess I will do without.

Comment