Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Windows 10S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 10S

So, As you know Microsoft can't leave well enough alone. Every other operating system seems to be a piece of crap. ME was crap. XP was good. Vista: Crap. Windows 7: good. Windows 8: crap. Windows 10: good.

Now they are releasing a new version called windows 10 S - which is basically meant to compete with Google Chrome OS. It harkens back to Windows RT the crippled version of windows 8. Windows 10 S will only run windows Apps from the Windows store. Not regular windows programs. They are tauting this as "good" because it makes the OS "run faster" and is "cleaner" and "safer"

And all of the media outlets are singing it's praises as some wondrous miracle.

It is just crippled windows 10! How stupid are people? It is Windows RT all over again. Argh people are so stupid.

But then I guess they had to do something to keep up their track record.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-s
    Last edited by Sparko; 05-03-2017, 02:13 PM.

Windows 8 was the worst thing to EVER happen in the history of computer science.

Comment

Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
      Windows 8 was the worst thing to EVER happen in the history of computer science.
      You must not be old enough to remember Windows ME....
      "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Vista.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
          No, I remember it all too well - I'm probably older than you.

Most of ME's problems where related to poor programming, driver control issues, and the like. But Windows 8 was the biggest UI disaster in the history of software.

Comment

My impression of Windows ME was that it was just Windows 98SE without the ability to boot directly to a DOS prompt. Was there more to it than that?...
            ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
              I am old enough to remember Windows 1 - and even before when it was merely MSDOS and even before that.

Comment

Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
                No, I remember it all too well - I'm probably older than you.

Most of ME's problems where related to poor programming, driver control issues, and the like. But Windows 8 was the biggest UI disaster in the history of software.
                yeah removing the windows menu was the stupidest thing they ever did. It was if they decided all computers were going to be touch screen tablets. Idiots. But basically they are doing the same thing with windows 10 S. They want to make it so it can only run apps from the windows store. There goes all the rest of the reason to even have windows over an ipad or an android tablet. Those platforms have a lot more apps. The reason I bought a surface pro tablet was because I wanted a tablet that could run all of my windows programs and I was sick of being limited to apps from the itunes store or the google play store. I wanted real programs, like photoshop, spreadsheets, quicken, illustrator.

Microsoft is basically cutting off their own head and thinks they are competing with Google Chrome OS. morons.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  So, As you know Microsoft can't leave well enough alone. Every other operating system seems to be a piece of crap. ME was crap. XP was good. Vista: Crap. Windows 7: good. Windows 8: crap. Windows 10: good.

Now they are releasing a new version called windows 10 S - which is basically meant to compete with Google Chrome OS. It harkens back to Windows RT the crippled version of windows 8. Windows 10 S will only run windows Apps from the Windows store. Not regular windows programs. They are tauting this as "good" because it makes the OS "run faster" and is "cleaner" and "safer"

And all of the media outlets are singing it's praises as some wondrous miracle.

It is just crippled windows 10! How stupid are people? It is Windows RT all over again. Argh people are so stupid.

But then I guess they had to do something to keep up their track record.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-s
                  They are touting it as a competitor to the Chromebooks being utilized in school systems.
                  That's what
                  - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                  - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                  - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                    They are touting it as a competitor to the Chromebooks being utilized in school systems.
                    yeah. But "look, we are a crappy as Chrome OS now!" is not a good marketing strategy.

Comment

yeah. But "look, we are a crappy as Chrome OS now!" is not a good marketing strategy.
                      It is if it's "Hey look! The kids can't hack THIS!"
                      That's what
                      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

It is if it's "Hey look! The kids can't hack THIS!"
                        Basically it is a windows phone with a keyboard and no phone.

Comment

Basically it is a windows phone with a keyboard and no phone.
                          Which is all the little turds need to do their homework.
                          That's what
                          - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Which is all the little turds need to do their homework.
                            But they are marketing it to consumers and businesses too.

Comment