Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

DR DOS remembered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DR DOS remembered

No, it wasn't pronounced "Doctor DOS".

It was DR, as in Digital Research.

Anybody else use it? My favorite feature was its memory management of the "over 640K" memory into the High Memory Area - the first 64K of extended memory. I remember getting insane amounts of "free memory" from the available 640K, easily in the 620K range. I think it was Sidekick* - a TSR PIM, that made especially good use of DR DOS memory management, appearing to use almost ZERO conventional memory.

Even DR DOS 6.0, however, reported itself as "IBM PC DOS 3.31" for compatibility with programs that wouldn't recognize a "version 6" DOS.

*I was a sidekick fiend!!!!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

I remember using MS DOS, but I thought it was pronounced Miss DOS.

Lots of cool games we have only work with it, so you need something like DOSBox to actually run them on a new computer.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

Lots of cool games we have only work with it, so you need something like DOSBox to actually run them on a new computer.
      I think I remember the first time I tried to run the DOS version of Frogger on a 486 machine.... you'd "bump" frogger to start him across the road, and he'd shoot all the way to the other side and get eaten by a gator. And the music - it was just a fast high pitched screech!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        I think I remember the first time I tried to run the DOS version of Frogger on a 486 machine.... you'd "bump" frogger to start him across the road, and he'd shoot all the way to the other side and get eaten by a gator. And the music - it was just a fast high pitched screech!

I remember getting a Frogger reboot when I was a kid. It was actually pretty good. However some games were just awful. We had a bunch of those games that came in a 10 pack with floppy discs. Most were garbage, but a few were pretty nice.

Man, I can remember playing stuff like Speed Racer, Battle Bugs, and Micro Machines. Those were really good, and Speed Racer was perfect on the voice lines, just as bad as the TV show!

Comment

I used an Atari 800xl then an amiga

At work we used microvax and vt100s

Then we switched to pc my first pc was a 486 compaq

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            I used an Atari 800xl then an amiga

At work we used microvax and vt100s

Then we switched to pc my first pc was a 486 compaq
            I remember the first time I worked on Compaqs, and needed to add some torx bits to my computer toolbox. I remembered thinking, "OK, they're trying to be too proprietary - they're not going to be around long".

Comment

The first pc I personally owned I built myself
              And every one ever since except for laptops

Comment

I'm saving up to upgrade or build a new PC. I know what I want as far as GPU, and CPU, but stuff like cooling fans, case, motherboard etc. I haven't quite figured out yet. Since I'm on a budget I don't need anything fancy, just need to get the job done.

So far I'm thinking i5-7600K, and a GTX 1060. I probably need around 16 GB of RAM too.

Comment

this was my computer "bible"

Comment

I recently installed an Android version of DOSBox called Magic DosBox on my phone so I could play old games on my lunch breaks at work. I've been working my way through Valhalla (also called Ragnarok, a roguelike). The app works really well and even has mouse support.
                    Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

There was a time, way back when, that you could save quite a bit of money building your own 'clone'..... nowadays, it's not nearly as big a difference.

Comment

I'm saving up to upgrade or build a new PC. I know what I want as far as GPU, and CPU, but stuff like cooling fans, case, motherboard etc. I haven't quite figured out yet. Since I'm on a budget I don't need anything fancy, just need to get the job done.

So far I'm thinking i5-7600K, and a GTX 1060. I probably need around 16 GB of RAM too.
                        If you don't know about it yet, http://www.pcpartpicker.com is a godsend when you want to piece together your own build. It automatically filters the part list based on what you've chosen already, so you won't have to worry about choosing parts that are incompatible with each other, and if there are parts that could cause potential issues with each other it will notify you of that too. If you make an account you can even save your partlist for later.

Comment

I've only owned two desktop PC's so far, but both of them I've put together myself. Not that there's much of an accomplishment in that when nowadays putting together your PC is hardly more than a glorified Lego™ project.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                            If you don't know about it yet, http://www.pcpartpicker.com is a godsend when you want to piece together your own build. It automatically filters the part list based on what you've chosen already, so you won't have to worry about choosing parts that are incompatible with each other, and if there are parts that could cause potential issues with each other it will notify you of that too. If you make an account you can even save your partlist for later.
                            Yeah, I've been using it, an I keep getting incompatibility notices. Usually the Motherboard and CPU cooler.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              There was a time, way back when, that you could save quite a bit of money building your own 'clone'..... nowadays, it's not nearly as big a difference.
                              for me it was never about saving money. More about the fun of doing it and being able to build exactly the PC you want with the best of everything. The last one I built though was in 2008, and I am still using it as a file server. I update it once in a while but it is getting pretty old. Has a Pentium D in it. The nice thing is if I want to upgrade it all I need to buy is a new motherboard and memory and swap them out. Maybe a new power supply depending on the connections.

Comment