Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

DR DOS remembered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    for me it was never about saving money. More about the fun of doing it and being able to build exactly the PC you want with the best of everything.
    Well, yeah, for me it was both. What you just said for the PC I wanted to use, but the maximum profit on many clones I sold, so I could afford the PC I wanted to use .

The last one I built though was in 2008, and I am still using it as a file server. I update it once in a while but it is getting pretty old. Has a Pentium D in it. The nice thing is if I want to upgrade it all I need to buy is a new motherboard and memory and swap them out. Maybe a new power supply depending on the connections.
    And a new case to fit that motherboard, and a new and improved graphics card, and....
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Well, yeah, for me it was both. What you just said for the PC I wanted to use, but the maximum profit on many clones I sold, so I could afford the PC I wanted to use .

And a new case to fit that motherboard, and a new and improved graphics card, and....
      Nah most newer motherboards have graphics built in that are good enough for what I need (watching movies) and they would fit in my case just fine. I mostly use it as a media center and file server. The old one is still working OK so far so I haven't bothered upgrading. But the next time something goes out I will think about upgrading, unless I can find a used computer cheap or get one from work after they do the next upgrade and want to get rid of their old ones.

Comment