Dept. of Redundancy Dept. Cow Poke's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    The first pc I personally owned I built myself
    And every one ever since except for laptops
    There was a time, way back when, that you could save quite a bit of money building your own 'clone'..... nowadays, it's not nearly as big a difference.

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
    I'm saving up to upgrade or build a new PC. I know what I want as far as GPU, and CPU, but stuff like cooling fans, case, motherboard etc. I haven't quite figured out yet. Since I'm on a budget I don't need anything fancy, just need to get the job done.

So far I'm thinking i5-7600K, and a GTX 1060. I probably need around 16 GB of RAM too.
    If you don't know about it yet, http://www.pcpartpicker.com is a godsend when you want to piece together your own build. It automatically filters the part list based on what you've chosen already, so you won't have to worry about choosing parts that are incompatible with each other, and if there are parts that could cause potential issues with each other it will notify you of that too. If you make an account you can even save your partlist for later.

3. Amen Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The first pc I personally owned I built myself
    And every one ever since except for laptops
    I've only owned two desktop PC's so far, but both of them I've put together myself. Not that there's much of an accomplishment in that when nowadays putting together your PC is hardly more than a glorified Lego™ project.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrawnus View Post
    If you don't know about it yet, http://www.pcpartpicker.com is a godsend when you want to piece together your own build. It automatically filters the part list based on what you've chosen already, so you won't have to worry about choosing parts that are incompatible with each other, and if there are parts that could cause potential issues with each other it will notify you of that too. If you make an account you can even save your partlist for later.
    Yeah, I've been using it, an I keep getting incompatibility notices. Usually the Motherboard and CPU cooler.
    Safka, you are NOT "unknown", you were loved by many, and you will not be forgotten. I will always remember you Puginator.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    There was a time, way back when, that you could save quite a bit of money building your own 'clone'..... nowadays, it's not nearly as big a difference.
    for me it was never about saving money. More about the fun of doing it and being able to build exactly the PC you want with the best of everything. The last one I built though was in 2008, and I am still using it as a file server. I update it once in a while but it is getting pretty old. Has a Pentium D in it. The nice thing is if I want to upgrade it all I need to buy is a new motherboard and memory and swap them out. Maybe a new power supply depending on the connections.

Dept. of Redundancy Dept. Cow Poke's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    for me it was never about saving money. More about the fun of doing it and being able to build exactly the PC you want with the best of everything.
    Well, yeah, for me it was both. What you just said for the PC I wanted to use, but the maximum profit on many clones I sold, so I could afford the PC I wanted to use .

The last one I built though was in 2008, and I am still using it as a file server. I update it once in a while but it is getting pretty old. Has a Pentium D in it. The nice thing is if I want to upgrade it all I need to buy is a new motherboard and memory and swap them out. Maybe a new power supply depending on the connections.
    And a new case to fit that motherboard, and a new and improved graphics card, and....

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Well, yeah, for me it was both. What you just said for the PC I wanted to use, but the maximum profit on many clones I sold, so I could afford the PC I wanted to use .

And a new case to fit that motherboard, and a new and improved graphics card, and....
    Nah most newer motherboards have graphics built in that are good enough for what I need (watching movies) and they would fit in my case just fine. I mostly use it as a media center and file server. The old one is still working OK so far so I haven't bothered upgrading. But the next time something goes out I will think about upgrading, unless I can find a used computer cheap or get one from work after they do the next upgrade and want to get rid of their old ones.