Announcement

Collapse

Animal Husbandry 101 Guidelines

Greetings Animal Lovers!

Welcome to Animal Husbandry 101, this is the place for all things animal.

Did you get a new pet? Tell us about it.Do you have a question about pet care? Ask it here. Are you thinking about getting a pet? Let us know.

There are a great many animal lovers at Tweb anxious to hear about and join in the fun.

In addition to the regular set of rules called the DECORUM, others rules will be enforced here as well.

1) Please keep all pets on a leash.
2) Please clean up after those pets that aren't quite paper trained.
3) Gerbils are not good pets. It's a long story

Thank you and let the games begin.
See more
See less

What is this insect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this insect?

Most days when I get home from work (about 6:15 pm), there is what appears to be a bee in my front yard. There is only one, it is always in the same place, hovering 2-3 feet from a tree, facing the tree. It moves around a little bit but not more than one or two feet, and it is always facing the tree and on the same side of it. It is a little bit bigger than a honeybee and is the same basic shape, but I have never seen a honeybee behave this way. It isn't always there but when it is, I have not seen it do anything other than what I have described.

What is it, and what is it doing?
    Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

hoverfly.jpg
    Hoverfly? (For obvious reasons)
    When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]22196[/ATTACH]
      Hoverfly? (For obvious reasons)
      That's a wannabee if i ever saw one.

Comment

baby bumblebee?

Comment

There are no flowers nearby. I haven't seen it in a while, but it did look like it was guarding something rather than looking for something.

Comment

This is a syrphid fly. A dipteran, with protective coloration looking like a bee.
            http://jenny.tfrec.wsu.edu/opm/displ...ies.php?pn=730

Comment

Carpenter Bee?

Notice any holes about big enough to stick your pinky in that looks like somebody drilled it?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I'll check out the tree. I started this thread about a year ago, and I saw another one of these "wannabees" the other day. It mostly hovers but moves around just enough that I can't get a picture of it.
                I don't think it's a type of fly because it does hover, and I didn't think flies could do that.

Comment

You might want to video it instead, and grab some shots from it.
                  Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
                    I'll check out the tree. I started this thread about a year ago, and I saw another one of these "wannabees" the other day. It mostly hovers but moves around just enough that I can't get a picture of it.
                    I don't think it's a type of fly because it does hover, and I didn't think flies could do that.
                    It's called a hornet hoverfly (Volucella zonaria). They eat aphids and leafhoppers, both of which are destructive. The hoverfly is not.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      Carpenter Bee?

Notice any holes about big enough to stick your pinky in that looks like somebody drilled it?
                      Just two wings, which means it's a dipteran, like a housefly. I had some carpenter bees get into a pergola on my patio. I'd wipe them out each year, and they'd come back the next year. Finally removed it and put up a metal one.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X