Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Getting to grips with God

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting to grips with God

It seems possible that schizophrenics and psychotics benefit from understanding that the voices they hear are their own and by learning to get along with them, they can diminish the frightening and disrupting effects of these conditions.

Now, it seems to me that some religious people become so engrossed by one venerated Holy personage that they too develop a mild psychosis of the hearing voices type. Otherwise I find it hard to see why simply the written word of Holy Scripture would be so convincing. Is it possible that constant rehearsal of Holy devotions causes a psychosis that can lead to apologetics and, at the opposite end of the scale, even suicide bombing?
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
    “not all there” - you know who you are

Firstfloor,

Not only is this type of psychosis possible, it is evidenced quite frequently in the world around us.
    I'd guess this is one reason why Paul would write a little test:

Originally posted by Galatians 5
    22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.
    A person who is in prolonged contact with the Holy Spirit will begin to exhibit these characteristics.
    A person who is in contact with the wrong spirit or delusions will begin to exhibit these characteristics:

Originally posted by Galatians 5
    19 The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20 idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21 and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like.
    Now for an atheist that doesn't believe there are spirits both groups are equally delusional.
    However, one set of delusions produces a rather sober individual who is busy helping the community so there is no need to worry about that lot.
    The other set of delusions produces the suicide bombers and the kind of people who protest funerals of soldiers - do with them as you will.
    Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

FF, do you think all Christians hear voices and think it is God?

I have never heard any voices.

When Christians say God told them something or God was speaking to them, they are using euphemisms for God reaching out to them through their conscience or by bringing people or situations into their lives, or noticing things in the bible that are relevant to them, etc. They don't mean that God is actually audibly talking to them.

I wish Christians didn't use "christianese" like that so much. It is especially confusing for new Christians who think "Why isn't God talking to me like that?"

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
        Is it possible that constant rehearsal of Holy devotions causes a psychosis that can lead to apologetics and, at the opposite end of the scale, even suicide bombing?
        "Apologetics" simply means "a defense," as in "Plato's Apology." He's not giving an apology or obsessed with anything. He's defending his ideas against those who would attack them.

fwiw,
        guacamole
        "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
        Hear my cry, hear my shout,
        Save me, save me"

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          FF, do you think all Christians hear voices and think it is God?

I have never heard any voices.

When Christians say God told them something or God was speaking to them, they are using euphemisms for God reaching out to them through their conscience or by bringing people or situations into their lives, or noticing things in the bible that are relevant to them, etc. They don't mean that God is actually audibly talking to them.

I wish Christians didn't use "christianese" like that so much. It is especially confusing for new Christians who think "Why isn't God talking to me like that?"
          So, do you not agree that this is spooky mind control?
          “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
          “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

sure, FF. sure. We are zombies for God. once we lure you into our churches, we scratch you and turn you into one of us.

Comment

sure, FF. sure. We are zombies for God. once we lure you into our churches, we scratch you and turn you into one of us.
              We use a secret frosting on the cupcakes in coffee hour....
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

The voice in my head says, "No".
                Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
                  The voice in my head says, "No".
                  You are the voice in my head, Gerbz.

Comment

If it is not spooky mind control, then it IS you speaking to yourself. YOU are god. WE are god. Meh Gerbil is god, etc, etc.
                    This formula is how we get spookiness out of godliness and then we find ourselves back in the real world and our psychosis dissipates.

Finally, we can relax and stop worrying about Jesus, son of the volcano god YHWH. Now you have me wondering whether the second coming is a reference to a future volcanic eruption. Yeah, maybe we could steer Christianity in a new direction.

Comment

If it is not spooky mind control, then it IS you speaking to yourself. YOU are god. WE are god. Meh Gerbil is god, etc, etc.
                      This formula is how we get spookiness out of godliness and then we find ourselves back in the real world and our psychosis dissipates.

Finally, we can relax and stop worrying about Jesus, son of the volcano god YHWH. Now you have me wondering whether the second coming is a reference to a future volcanic eruption. Yeah, maybe we could steer Christianity in a new direction.
                      Y'know. for some reason I don't think Christianity is interested in listening to what you think.

Comment

Y'know. for some reason I don't think Christianity is interested in listening to what you think.
                        True. Christianity is just all the stuff that Christians do – the cult. In my own way I am a fragment of it but very not influential.

Comment

True. Christianity is just all the stuff that Christians do – the cult.
                          berniesupport.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]22265[/ATTACH]
                            (in other news) Justice for Ahok requires that all men turn their backs on the evil that is god worship. Christians should set an example to Muslims by renouncing their hopeless religion and demonstrating mass blasphemy against Islam. Let's bring this thing to a boil now.

Comment

(in other news) Justice for Ahok requires that all men turn their backs on the evil that is god worship. Christians should set an example to Muslims by renouncing their hopeless religion and demonstrating mass blasphemy against Islam. Let's bring this thing to a boil now.
                              I dunno.
                              I feel like my faith gives me the strength to treat others better.
                              I've worked through a great deal of forgiveness and such.
                              I'm more content than I've ever been.

Isn't there a way to start WWIII that doesn't have me abandoning the good in my life?

Comment