Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Getting to grips with God

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
    I dunno.
    I feel like my faith gives me the strength to treat others better.
    I've worked through a great deal of forgiveness and such.
    I'm more content than I've ever been.

Isn't there a way to start WWIII that doesn't have me abandoning the good in my life?
    You should take credit for your own strength. Do not let religion steal that from you; it is undignified. You are entitled to pride.
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
    “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
      You should take credit for your own strength. Do not let religion steal that from you; it is undignified. You are entitled to pride.

You're welcome.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

The suicide bomber also looks to God for strength. All these ideas about the heavenly father and so on are failures to take responsibility for your own actions.
        “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
        “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

The suicide bomber also looks to God for strength.
          Close. He's looking to his 70 virgins.
          All these ideas about the heavenly father and so on are failures to take responsibility for your own actions.
          Because we're obviously all hard determinists.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

You are entitled to pride.
            There you go...

According to Christian teachers, the essential vice, the utmost evil, is Pride. Unchastity, anger, greed, drunkenness, and all that, are mere fleabites in comparison:it was through Pride that the devil became the devil: Pride leads to every other vice:it is the complete anti-God state of mind. CS Lewis
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
              There you go...
              You have to remember that firstfloor is really, really good at saying the exact opposite of what is right. Every once in a while, he says something which is actually right in order to keep us on our toes.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                There you go...
                They tell you this lie because they want robots, not people.

Comment

Christians are wrong about pride.

“[Atheists, educated people and psychologists know that pride, in ourselves and in our work, is an essential part of mental health. But some Christians, are adamant that pride is a "cardinal sin" responsible for all other sins. With this in mind, is it more prideful to be an atheist or to be a theist? Brian Holtz answered this question rhetorically in 2002:

“Which indicates more pride: to believe that one is merely an animal, or to believe that one has a soul?

Which indicates more pride: to believe that one's consciousness is merely the product of stupid and uncaring random processes, or to believe that one's consciousness is a supernatural phenomenon akin to that of angels and gods?

Which indicates more pride: to believe that the vast and ancient universe has no purpose, or to believe that a universe of 100 billion galaxies was created 14 billion years ago just so that one could grace it with one's presence?

Which indicates more pride: to believe that one's mind will soon forever cease, or to believe that one's mind is eternal?

Which indicates more pride: to believe that one's body will soon rot and decay once and for all, or to believe that one's body will be renewed for an eternal blissful afterlife in the presence of the Creator?

Which indicates more pride: to believe that no higher power cares about humanity, or to believe that the Creator of 100 billion galaxies came to Earth and suffered just for the benefit of its human inhabitants?

Which indicates more pride: to believe that no higher power cares about humanity, or to believe that gods and angels and demons are engaged in a supernatural struggle to influence one's eternal fate?

Which indicates more pride: to believe that one's deceased loved ones are gone forever, or to believe that they are a special group whose reunion will outlive the Earth and the Sun and the galaxies?”

- Brian Holtz (2002)]”

Comment

Christians are wrong about pride.

“[Atheists, educated people and psychologists know that pride, in ourselves and in our work, is an essential part of mental health. But some Christians, are adamant that pride is a "cardinal sin" responsible for all other sins. With this in mind, is it more prideful to be an atheist or to be a theist? Brian Holtz answered this question rhetorically in 2002:

“Which indicates more pride: to believe that one is merely an animal, or to believe that one has a soul?

Which indicates more pride: to believe that one's consciousness is merely the product of stupid and uncaring random processes, or to believe that one's consciousness is a supernatural phenomenon akin to that of angels and gods?

Which indicates more pride: to believe that the vast and ancient universe has no purpose, or to believe that a universe of 100 billion galaxies was created 14 billion years ago just so that one could grace it with one's presence?

Which indicates more pride: to believe that one's mind will soon forever cease, or to believe that one's mind is eternal?

Which indicates more pride: to believe that one's body will soon rot and decay once and for all, or to believe that one's body will be renewed for an eternal blissful afterlife in the presence of the Creator?

Which indicates more pride: to believe that no higher power cares about humanity, or to believe that the Creator of 100 billion galaxies came to Earth and suffered just for the benefit of its human inhabitants?

Which indicates more pride: to believe that no higher power cares about humanity, or to believe that gods and angels and demons are engaged in a supernatural struggle to influence one's eternal fate?

Which indicates more pride: to believe that one's deceased loved ones are gone forever, or to believe that they are a special group whose reunion will outlive the Earth and the Sun and the galaxies?”

- Brian Holtz (2002)]”
                    None of those things indicate pride. They're beliefs which in themselves do not indicate pride. Having those beliefs might engender pride, but they're not cause of, or indication of pride.

Comment

They tell you this lie because they want robots, not people.
                      You're the one who believes that we're no more than soulless animals, so if that was really the case you'd fit right in.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                        You're the one who believes that we're no more than soulless animals, so if that was really the case you'd fit right in.
                        You have it exactly back to front as usual. What Christianity wants from you is communist uniformity. You must not stand out, rock the boat or otherwise indulge yourself in any way. That is what the prohibition on pride is all about. It is about knowing your place – you will get your treats when you are dead!

Comment

You have it exactly back to front as usual. What Christianity wants from you is communist uniformity. You must not stand out, rock the boat or otherwise indulge yourself in any way.
                          I've never heard that message being preached in any church or congregation I've ever been to.

Comment

You have it exactly back to front as usual. What Christianity wants from you is communist uniformity. You must not stand out, rock the boat or otherwise indulge yourself in any way. That is what the prohibition on pride is all about. It is about knowing your place – you will get your treats when you are dead!
                            And this is why atheism is so easy, nothing to believe or defend except for the concept that a god does not exist. Nothing to die for and nothing to live for. A child's philosophy.
                            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Not against pride, just against arrogance and hubris. It's kind of unfortunate that people haven't caught on to the idea that words change meaning from time to time. What pride meant in (and before) 1611, it no longer does.
                              1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                              Scripture before Tradition:
                              but that won't prevent others from
                              taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                              of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                                I've never heard that message being preached in any church or congregation I've ever been to.
                                I think what FF's saying is that the religions demand conformity to it's "god-given" rules of morality, the problem being that they vary from religion to religion and denomination to denomination.
                                “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment