Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Getting to grips with God

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
    I've never heard that message being preached in any church or congregation I've ever been to.
    Pride is one of the seven deadly sins – vices of Christian origin. They tell you that pride is a sin so that you will act in a particular way and are obedient to the Church. Although much less intense, it is quite like the conditioning that Marine Corps recruits receive on Parris Island. Onward, Christian Soldiers ….
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
    “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
      Pride is one of the seven deadly sins – vices of Christian origin. They tell you that pride is a sin so that you will act in a particular way and are obedient to the Church. Although much less intense, it is quite like the conditioning that Marine Corps recruits receive on Parris Island. Onward, Christian Soldiers ….
      Care to give us a bible quote on that?

Comment

Deus vult.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          Care to give us a bible quote on that?
          I think you can get a better idea of what I mean by reading C. S. Lewis (an influential Christian). In fact, now that I think of it, C. S. Lewis may well be more influential and more relevant to the point than The Bible itself.
          “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
          “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

...so that you will act in a particular way and are obedient to the Church.
            Oh, the horror.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
              Oh, the horror.
              Well it is horrible if you don't like having to live a moral life, and being accountable.
              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                Well it is horrible if you don't like having to live a moral life, and being accountable.
                “Moral” according to what and "accountable" to whom, oh I know, your invisible friend.
                “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

I think you can get a better idea of what I mean by reading C. S. Lewis (an influential Christian). In fact, now that I think of it, C. S. Lewis may well be more influential and more relevant to the point than The Bible itself.
                  really, what did Lewis say about it?

Comment

really, what did Lewis say about it?
                    Here you go, and I tend to agree with Lewis:

Chapter 8 - "The Great Sin"

from "Mere Christianity" by C.S. Lewis

I now come to that part of Christian morals where they differ most sharply from all other morals. There is one vice of which no man in the world is free; which everyone in the world loathes when he sees it in someone else' and of which hardly any people, except Christians, ever imagine that they are guilty themselves. I have heard people admit that they are bad tempered, or that they cannot keep their heads about girls or drink, or even that they are cowards. I do not think I have ever heard anyone who was not a Christian accuse himself of this vice. And at the same time I have very seldom met anyone, who was not a Christian, who showed the slightest mercy to it in others. There is no fault which makes a man more unpopular, and no fault which we are more unconscious of in ourselves. And the more we have it ourselves, the more we dislike it in others.

The vice I am talking of is Pride or Self-Conceit: and the virtue opposite to it, in Christian morals, is called Humility. You may remember, when I was talking about sexual morality, I warned you that the center of Christian morals did not lie there. Well, now, we have come to the centre. According to Christian teachers, the essential vice, the utmost evil, is Pride. Unchastity, anger, greed, drunkenness, and all that, are mere fleabites in comparison: it was through Pride that the devil became the devil: Pride leads to every other vice: it is the complete anti-God state of mind.

http://www.fellowshipofthemartyrs.co...sinq-cs-lewis-
                    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                      Here you go, and I tend to agree with Lewis:
                      He is talking about hubris. Self-conceit. that is different from just "pride" - I can be proud to be an honorable man, proud to be a patriot, proud of my work. That isn't a problem. It becomes hubris when you think that makes you better than others and you can do no wrong.

The bible doesn't condemn pride, it condemns hubris.

Comment

He is talking about hubris. Self-conceit. that is different from just "pride" - I can be proud to be an honorable man, proud to be a patriot, proud of my work. That isn't a problem. It becomes hubris when you think that makes you better than others and you can do no wrong.

The bible doesn't condemn pride, it condemns hubris.
                        Well pride has different meanings:

Definition of pride
                        1: the quality or state of being proud: such as

a : inordinate self-esteem : conceit
                        b : a reasonable or justifiable self-respect
                        When we speak of pride being a deadly sin we are speaking of hubris or conceit.
                        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                          Well pride has different meanings:

When we speak of pride being a deadly sin we are speaking of hubris or conceit.
                          I am proud to say that I don't suffer from hubris and I am the most humble man you have ever met.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                            Oh, the horror.
                            Quite so. To whom do you belong? If it’s not YOU, then you are someone’s slave. This is not to be encouraged even if you ‘love’ your master.

Comment

I am proud to say that I don't suffer from hubris and I am the most humble man you have ever met.

Comment

Quite so. To whom do you belong? If it’s not YOU, then you are someone’s slave. This is not to be encouraged even if you ‘love’ your master.
                                You'd encourage children to run free and discourage marriage? Interesting.
                                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                                sigpic
                                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment