Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Direct-pay healthcare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Direct-pay healthcare

Ie no insurance middlemen to mark up prices and mess up market:

When Art Villa found out, after one too many boating accidents, that he needed a total knee replacement, he began asking around to see how much it would cost. The hospital near his home in Helena, Mont., would charge $40,000 for the procedure, he says. But that didn't include the anesthesiologist's fee, physical therapy or a stay at a rehabilitation center afterward. A 2015 Blue Cross Blue Shield study found that one hospital in Dallas billed $16,772 for a knee replacement while another in the same area charged $61,585.

It was in the midst of this confounding research that Villa, who's 68, heard about the Surgery Center of Oklahoma, whose business model is different from that of most hospitals. There, the all-inclusive price for every operation is listed on the website. A rotator-cuff repair for the shoulder costs $8,260. A surgical procedure for carpal tunnel syndrome is $2,750. Setting and casting a basic broken leg: $1,925.
    The catch is that the whole facility is cash-based. It doesn't take insurance of any kind. Not Aetna. Not Cigna. Not Medicare or Medicaid. Patients or their employers pay whatever price is listed online, period. There are no negotiated rates, no third-party reimbursements and almost no paperwork. "We say, 'Here's the price. Here's what you're getting. Here's your bill,'" says Keith Smith, who co-founded the Surgery Center in 1997 with fellow anesthesiologist Steven Lantier. "It's as simple as that."

To Villa, the model seemed refreshingly subversive. The Surgery Center would charge $19,000 for his whole-knee replacement, a discount of nearly 50% on what Villa expected to be charged at his local hospital. And that price would include everything from airfare to the organization's only facility, in Oklahoma City, to medications and physical therapy. If unforeseen complications arose during or after the procedure, the Surgery Center would cover those costs. Villa wouldn't see another bill.

Sometimes called direct pay, and closely related to concierge care, this sort of business model was once seen as the perquisite of rich folks and medical tourists from foreign lands. But nowadays many of the people seeking cash-based care are middle-class Americans with high-deductible insurance plans. For a patient with an $11,000 family deductible, for example, it might make more sense to seek out a cash-based center like the Premier Medical Imaging facility in Minneapolis, which offers a basic MRI for $499, than to cough up the several thousand dollars that the same procedure generally costs at a traditional hospital. Cash payments don't count toward a patient's deductible, but for some it's worth the gamble.

http://time.com/4649914/why-the-doctor-takes-only-cash/
    Upside is no redistribution, so middle-class not screwed. Downside is no redistribution, so poor don't get help this way (though maybe progs will do big big charity since they care so much???)
    Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

laproscopic hernia repair (one side) - $5,750

https://surgerycenterok.com/pricing/

I had that done last year and I think it cost something over 10 times as much. Luckily I had paid my deductible so it cost me nothing out of pocket.

this shows how much the medical field upcharges just because they can because Insurance pays it.

Comment

I like the example that if auto insurance paid for basic maintenance then mechanics would start charging $100 for a simple oil change. That's basically where we are with health insurance.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        I like the example that if auto insurance paid for basic maintenance then mechanics would start charging $100 for a simple oil change. That's basically where we are with health insurance.
        Notice that with things not covered by insurance, like Lasik surgery, the price keeps dropping. When a friend of mine got it not long after 9/11 he paid $1000/eye and boasted about the deal he got. Now you can get it done for between $300 to $450/eye.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I would like to try lasik but I am too chicken.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            I'm not sure how useful lasik is when it comes to fixing eyes that have been gouged out with a hook.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              It's one of those things that could easily go catastrophically wrong. There's a reason they don't do both eyes at once.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                I'm not sure how useful lasik is when it comes to fixing eyes that have been gouged out with a hook.
                well, there is that.

Comment