Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

What can Anime and Cartoons teach us?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can Anime and Cartoons teach us?

I want mr Peters to talk about this but I will start.

Growing up during the early 2000s I saw anime enter my mainstream focus with toonami. Growing up with power rangers the format and styling were pretty awesome so I liked it. My step-dad laughed at my enjoyment of these things saying it was girly.

In high school crunchyroll came out and with it oppurtunity to watch more shows. Now I will tell you this presentation salvation me was one hormonal dude. I didn't watch Sailor moon initially for the story if one catches my drift. Yet after coming to Christ I still have my love of great stories and as a result I have revised a lot of childhood favorites with fresh eyes.

I honestly feel that one of the best ways to get to know someone ispecial by understanding what they enjoy. Lewis and Tolkein enjoyed myths for instance. Tolkein used myths as a way to introduce lewis to christianity. While watching YuyuHakusho my grandparents and I couldn't help but compare the first episode to its a wonderful life. Stories often have a way of teaching that other mediums can not do. For instance Rurouni Kenshin was based so much on the meiji revolution it inspired actual historians to look further into some of the lesser known aspects of the war. Similarly I have learned more about mythology from games and cartoons than one would think. When one summons a giant storm God from mythology it makes investment into research easy.

Unfortunately manyou people in the christian community find fantasy and anime scary. I can kind of see where they are coming from what with characters like DIO, Alucard, Shishio, and just about everything in Berserk but even that I feel could be of use to christians. DIO for instance is perhaps one of ghetto greatest depictions of arrogance and manipulation I have ever seen. Shishio'so philosophy of social darwinism makes one really evaluate what strength is and how one achieves it.

Christian media as a kid was pretty awful. I mean aside from classic VeggieTales most of it just felt like it wasn't taking the audience seriously. It felt like they just placed a giant cross sticker on some tacky batman complay. I find that weird with how the bible is full of stories that can fit just about every genre imaginable. David the conquering king who loses himself to himself for instance is one of the greatest stories of all time. Why then do we never get into the real depth when we try to put it on screen? Aside from Risen and what I have heard about the case for christ movie most christian films are awful. Why? Well the God's not dead films I can explain why they are terrible. Wasted potential and plots hinging on stupidity. You could have made an interesting film. The setting of a philosophy class was excellent. Yet they do nothing with it. I would have loved to see a debate between Kierkegaard and Sartre. I would have loved to see Chesterton debate Simone DE Belvoir. I would have loved to see the evidence presented in a way that made the audience have to think instead of cramming the gospel down my throat.

We all ready have books like that by people kreeft so it could be done. YouTube channels are using video games to explain everything from physics to philosophy. Why can't we do the same with the gospel and various defenses of the faith? I do see it I just want it to became more readily apparent. I mean could you imagine more people making cartoons like Holding does if done right it could be awesome.
    sigpic

Originally posted by TheWall View Post
    I mean could you imagine more people making cartoons like Holding does if done right it could be awesome.
    So wait, are you saying Holding isn't doing it right?`

Comment

I'm not sure what you want me to add.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
        So wait, are you saying Holding isn't doing it right?`

Not I am saying we need more people with his desire to teach and reach others.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
          I'm not sure what you want me to add.
          In retrospect neither am I.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheWall View Post
            Not I am saying we need more people with his desire to teach and reach others.
            I know, I was pulling your leg.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
              I know, I was pulling your leg.
              I figured you where. I suppose I enjoy being the straight man in others routines and in the spotlight in my own. Still you did catch something others could have taken in a bad context. I think we will get along great.
              sigpic

Comment