Announcement

Collapse

Unorthodox Theology 201 Guidelines

Theists only.

This forum area is primarily for persons who would identify themselves as Christians whether or not their theology is recognized within the mainstream or as orthodox though other theists may participate with moderator permission. Therefore those that would be restricted from posting in Christianity 201 due to a disagreement with the enumerated doctrines, ie the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment may freely post here on any theological subject matter. In this case "unorthodox" is used in the strict sense of a person who denies what has been declared as universal essentials of the historic Christian faith. Examples would be adherents to Oneness, Full Preterists, Unitarian Universalist Christians, Gnostics, Liberal Christianity, Christian Science to name a few.

The second purpose will be for threads on subjects, which although the thread starter has no issue with the above doctrines, the subject matter is so very outside the bounds of normative Christian doctrine totally within the leadership's discretion that it is placed here. In so doing, no judgment or offense is intended to be placed on the belief of said person in the above-doctrines. In this case "unorthodox" is used in a much looser sense of "outside the norms" - Examples of such threads would be pro-polygamy, pro-drug use, proponents of gay Christian churches, proponents of abortion.

The third purpose is for persons who wish to have input from any and all who would claim the title of Christian even on subjects that would be considered "orthodox."

The philosophy behind this area was to recognize that there are persons who would identify themselves as Christian and thus seem out of place in the Comparative Religions Forum, but yet in keeping with our committment here to certain basic core Christian doctrines. Also, it allows threads to be started by those who would want to still be identified as Christian with a particular belief that while not denying an essential is of such a nature that the discussion on that issue belongs in this section or for threads by persons who wish such a non-restricted discussion.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Is the idea that Pre-tribulationalism before Darby existed false?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the idea that Pre-tribulationalism before Darby existed false?

Many evangelicals believe that they will be taken to heaven before the start of a 7 year tribulation, from what I can tell it was basically invented by John Nelson Darby, but there are now evangelicals claiming that early Christians taught the same thing! Is that just really bad citiations out of context by people disperate to validate their belief?

http://beginningandend.com/what-did-...t-the-rapture/

If any Christian can show me the proper context of his work it would be nice too thanks

Comment

My understanding is that a Scottish teenager named Margaret McDonald would occasionally go into so-called prophetic trances. In 1830, during an illness, she went into a trance and proclaimed the "secret rapture". It then went on from her to Edward Irving of the Catholic Apostolic Church, then from him to Darby and the Plymouth Brethren. From there it eventually found its way into the Schofield Reference Bible.
      When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
        My understanding is that a Scottish teenager named Margaret McDonald would occasionally go into so-called prophetic trances. In 1830, during an illness, she went into a trance and proclaimed the "secret rapture". It then went on from her to Edward Irving of the Catholic Apostolic Church, then from him to Darby and the Plymouth Brethren. From there it eventually found its way into the Schofield Reference Bible.
        That is also my understanding, based on The Rapture Plot by Dave MacPherson. I will have to take a look at the passages from the ECF, but it's really difficult to figure out their contexts at first glance.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Well take a look at some of this guy's interpretations especially in the comments crazy...

Comment

The Apostle Paul made it clear that the rapture (1 Thessalonians 4:15-17) would not take place in any way before the dead in Christ were raised (Revelation 20:4-6).
            . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by setsurinvich View Post
              If any Christian can show me the proper context of his work it would be nice too thanks
              He includes links for Irenaeus and Cyprian. Did you check those out?
              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Yes I think he took them out of context want to know and confirm if you guys are seeing the same thing

Comment

Okay, I think he did not take them out of context. Just so you have someone to take pot shots at.
                  Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Cyprian used the word departed to refer to martyrs which means its not what he thinks "leaving" meant and also if this bloggers interpretation is correct then cyprian already believed he was in the tribulation as he said the disasters have already begun. As for ireanous he said that the ressecutection is at the end of the tribulation and that the anti Christ will attack the church before he claimed the church will be caught up.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X