Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Trying this again ... Information ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Translation: I don't have a clue, but I will pretend I do and say I will answer it later. Whew.
    IOW, you are calling me a liar, except that you do so in a very cowardly, girly kind'a way.
    Come on, be a real man, Sparko - say, "Jorge, you are a liar".
    Oops, except for one thing - you have ZERO grounds for making such an accusation.
    I say that I have those answers and you have NO evidence to say otherwise.
    What you DO have is a rabid, blinding bias and personal dislike - maybe even hatred.
    I guess all those times that I've called you out (like here) must've burned more than I imagined.
    Oh well, I guess that's another birthday card that I won't be getting from Sparko.
    Bwahahahahahaha!!!

Jorge

Comment

• Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
      So "ask me a question, and it will be answered by a promise to answer it later"? Don't you think that's a bit of a waste of my time?
      Nope, not at all. You have an advanced degree, right? Listen and try hard to grasp this:

Suppose you were about to publish a paper (or a book) on a new theory you've developed. You ask for questions in order to test your theory - to see if there are any holes or show-stoppers. People submit questions all of which you know your work answers. So you tell them - "Yes, my work answers those questions. I'm hoping to publish those 'soon'. Thanks for your questions."

Now, be honest and tell me, what is wrong with any of that?

If you display honesty then you will reply, "Nothing is wrong." Right, so here we are.
      Anything else is the dishonest, biased, rabid FAKE NEWS so common around here.

EDITED TO ADD:

Note this part of my post ............ "If you can think of more good question, I'd love to see them. Perhaps you'll have some that force me back to the drawing board."

IOW, I specifically ASK for "hard questions" - I'd love to be challenged, to find a "flaw" or "hole" in my work ... something that forces me back to the drawing board. Does that not sound like someone genuinely trying to produce a good work?

Jorge
      Last edited by Jorge; 07-12-2017, 10:38 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jorge View Post
        IOW, you are calling me a liar, except that you do so in a very cowardly, girly kind'a way.
        Come on, be a real man, Sparko - say, "Jorge, you are a liar".
        Oops, except for one thing - you have ZERO grounds for making such an accusation.
        I say that I have those answers and you have NO evidence to say otherwise.
        What you DO have is a rabid, blinding bias and personal dislike - maybe even hatred.
        I guess all those times that I've called you out (like here) must've burned more than I imagined.
        Oh well, I guess that's another birthday card that I won't be getting from Sparko.
        Bwahahahahahaha!!!

Jorge

I wasn't calling you a liar, just a phony.

and seriously, take a chill pill. You are starting to sound like a complete loon. Even to the hysterical laughter.

Comment

and seriously, take a chill pill. You are starting to sound like a complete loon. Even to the hysterical laughter.
          Bluster is all he's got any more - and at that, he seems to be aiming more for quantity than quality.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

"Bluster is all he's got any more - and at that, he seems to be aiming more for quantity than quality." quote by One Bad Pig

A while back an ex-Twebber left Tweb and sent me a PM upon departing.
            In that PM he said, quote, "I honestly believe that many at TWeb are insane."
            I thought at that time that "insane" was a bit extreme.
            In time I've come to wonder if perhaps he actually had it right.

Posts such as the ones above (which I regularly receive) certainly support his claim.
            You people clamp on to anything that supports your delusions and dismiss all else.

Jorge

Comment

"Bluster is all he's got any more - and at that, he seems to be aiming more for quantity than quality." quote by One Bad Pig

Posts such as the ones above (which I regularly receive) certainly support his claim.
              You people clamp on to anything that supports your delusions and dismiss all else.

Jorge
              When everyone (both atheists and Christians) keep telling you the same thing and you keep ignoring it, maybe you are the one with the problem, Jorge.

Comment

Jorge
                Let me know when you figure out that upping the rhetoric isn't getting you anywhere.
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Nope, not at all. You have an advanced degree, right? Listen and try hard to grasp this:

Suppose you were about to publish a paper (or a book) on a new theory you've developed. You ask for questions in order to test your theory - to see if there are any holes or show-stoppers. People submit questions all of which you know your work answers. So you tell them - "Yes, my work answers those questions. I'm hoping to publish those 'soon'. Thanks for your questions."

That's not how any of this works in the sciences. If someone wants feedback on their work, they provide a copy of their manuscript so the feedback can be informed and relevant. Look into the arXiv or BioArxiv if you want to see how it works. And, when they receive comments or criticism, they're expected to provide an indication of either a) why the criticism was off base or b) how the manuscript will be changed to reflect the issues involved. That happens both informally and formally through peer review.

If, back when i was working on one of my papers, i had told my peers that "i'm doing something on neuroscience - ask me hard questions about it", they would have suggested i go back on whatever medication i had stopped taking. Neuroscience is a huge field, and there's simply no way they would have known what questions were relevant to what i was doing.

And, if you're talking a theory, then the norms of scientific conduct apply. Your approach isn't in keeping with those norms.

You asked for my honest reply, and you got it. Which brings me to this:

Originally posted by Jorge View Post
                  If you display honesty then you will reply, "Nothing is wrong." Right, so here we are.
                  Anything else is the dishonest, biased, rabid FAKE NEWS so common around here.
                  This is not a matter of what's right or wrong. It's a matter of how science is done. But it's good to see that you've decided your own behavior is fine, and you've pre-judged me as dishonest.

Originally posted by Jorge View Post
                  IOW, I specifically ASK for "hard questions" - I'd love to be challenged, to find a "flaw" or "hole" in my work ... something that forces me back to the drawing board. Does that not sound like someone genuinely trying to produce a good work?
                  Not to me, no. Because someone who's trying to produce good scientific work would share their draft manuscript and get informed feedback. Nobody can find a flaw in your work if they don't know what your work actually involves, except possibly by accident.

So, basically i'm left where i started - i have to do all the work of figuring out what your ideas are about, and then the work of figuring out an intelligent question to ask about them. You won't help with the former, and you won't answer the latter. So, forgive me if i can't be bothered.
                  "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

• Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
                    That's not how any of this works in the sciences. If someone wants feedback on their work, they provide a copy of their manuscript so the feedback can be informed and relevant. Look into the arXiv or BioArxiv if you want to see how it works. And, when they receive comments or criticism, they're expected to provide an indication of either a) why the criticism was off base or b) how the manuscript will be changed to reflect the issues involved. That happens both informally and formally through peer review.

If, back when i was working on one of my papers, i had told my peers that "i'm doing something on neuroscience - ask me hard questions about it", they would have suggested i go back on whatever medication i had stopped taking. Neuroscience is a huge field, and there's simply no way they would have known what questions were relevant to what i was doing.

And, if you're talking a theory, then the norms of scientific conduct apply. Your approach isn't in keeping with those norms.

You asked for my honest reply, and you got it. Which brings me to this:

This is not a matter of what's right or wrong. It's a matter of how science is done. But it's good to see that you've decided your own behavior is fine, and you've pre-judged me as dishonest.

Not to me, no. Because someone who's trying to produce good scientific work would share their draft manuscript and get informed feedback. Nobody can find a flaw in your work if they don't know what your work actually involves, except possibly by accident.

So, basically i'm left where i started - i have to do all the work of figuring out what your ideas are about, and then the work of figuring out an intelligent question to ask about them. You won't help with the former, and you won't answer the latter. So, forgive me if i can't be bothered.
                    Obviously I was delusional in believing that something as patently obvious as what I asked you would be answered in the only honest way possible. By now I should have known better. Oh well, at least you're consistent! Have a nice rest of the day, Lurch.

Jorge

Comment

Obviously I was delusional

Jorge
                      Still are.

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                        Let me know when you figure out that upping the rhetoric isn't getting you anywhere.
                        I have indeed figured out that around here with the likes of you people
                        I am never, ever going to get anywhere. I do appreciate the reminder!

Ce la vie!

Jorge

Comment

Still are.
                          Among us honest folk the above is known as taking words out of context (jokingly or not).

What you do here would be as if you answered "YES" to the question, "Do you like ice cream?"
                          Then, after you reply, "YES" I take that same "YES" and attach it to, "Are you a sexual pervert?"
                          Oh, look, Sparko answered "YES" - he IS a sexual pervert!

I can take a joke as well as anyone, but within the context of what is going on here at this moment your post is a "joke" with very bad timing and taste.

TWeb reminds me of the FAKE NEWS crooked media that allowed Hillary Clinton to get away with anything while calling out Trump for minor infractions, even fabricated infractions. Meh, I've had enough "fun" around here to last me for quite a while.

See you guys ... whenever.

Jorge

Comment

Among us honest folk the above is known as taking words out of context (jokingly or not).

What you do here would be as if you answered "YES" to the question, "Do you like ice cream?"
                            Then, after you reply, "YES" I take that same "YES" and attach it to, "Are you a sexual pervert?"
                            Oh, look, Sparko answered "YES" - he IS a sexual pervert!

I can take a joke as well as anyone, but within the context of what is going on here at this moment your post is a "joke" with very bad timing and taste.

TWeb reminds me of the FAKE NEWS crooked media that allowed Hillary Clinton to get away with anything while calling out Trump for minor infractions, even fabricated infractions. Meh, I've had enough "fun" around here to last me for quite a while.

See you guys ... whenever.

Jorge
                            whatever. Don't let the door hit you on your behind on the way out.

Comment

What is wrong with that is that without putting forward your new theory, the likelyhood you will get random questions that expose weaknesses in your theory is close to zero.

Do you suppose that if the fellow that solved Fermat's last theorem had simply gone into a room and asked: "What questions do you have about Fermat's theorem" that he would have found the flaw that was found with his first version - even if the room was full of PhD mathematicians that had all tried to solve the problem and failed? No - he presented the theorem and those knowledgable enough to analyze it for flaws did so. They found the flaw, and that enabled him to return to the task and finish the proof.

It's just stupid Jorge. It shows an ignorance and arrogance that almost guarantees your work is empty.

If you wanted serious questions, you would have needed to be less paranoid and more forthcoming. As it is you've just ruined another potentially good conversation.

Jim
                              Last edited by oxmixmudd; 07-12-2017, 01:42 PM.
                              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Obviously I was delusional in believing that something as patently obvious as what I asked you would be answered in the only honest way possible.
                                If someone said "the only honest way to answer "what's 2 + 2?" is to say 22", and i answered "4", i wouldn't be too upset about being called dishonest by the person who posed the question.

I also note that you haven't engaged with the substance of my response. To borrow your own phrase, "Oh well, at least you're consistent!"
                                "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment