Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Trying this again ... Information ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forgot to answer:

Originally posted by Roy View Post
    Does degradation mean enzymes etc become more specific, or less specific?
    In this context, I think less specific.

Comment

• Originally posted by Seeker View Post
      I know of this response, but... then the specificity only returned to its original state, it did not increase.
      But what if there was no original state? We know it is possible for a mutation to increase specificity. We know that it is possible for such a mutation to occur as a 'reverse mutation'. But it is then theoretically possible for it to occur when it is not a reverse mutation.

Also, you didn't ask about information arising, you asked about specificity. Do you have any comments about the cited example of an enzyme becoming first less specific so that it could work on nylon, then more specific so that it worked better on nylon? That wasn't a reverse mutation.
      Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
      MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• It didn't take long to find this paper on how mutations can affect specificity:
        We have identified His103 in the sulfatase SpAS1 as a highly plastic, specificity‐determining position at which virtually every mutation substantially improves both activity and specificity of the enzyme toward phosphate or phosphonate esters (vs. its original sulfate monoester substrate). Specificity changes of up to 105‐fold are readily obtained by this “minimal evolutionary step”47 and suggest that considerable respecialization can be achieved through a single mutation.
        An example of mutations which improve specificity.
        Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
          Also, you didn't ask about information arising, you asked about specificity. Do you have any comments about the cited example of an enzyme becoming first less specific so that it could work on nylon, then more specific so that it worked better on nylon? That wasn't a reverse mutation.
          Creationists seem to have trouble accepting this example (do you have any idea why?).

Comment

Creationists seem to have trouble accepting this example (do you have any idea why?).
            Several:
            - they don't know about it, and don't want to
            - they don't understand it, and don't want to
            - they don't care about it, and don't want to
            - they're not interested in the truth, only in finding excuses to believe their preconceptions.

Any particular creationists you have in mind?

Comment

Several:
              - they're not interested in the truth, only in finding excuses to believe their preconceptions.

That's kind of a broad brush but unfortunately it is true about the leadership of the various YEC organizations but not so much about the rank and file.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                That's kind of a broad brush but unfortunately it is true about the leadership of the various YEC organizations but not so much about the rank and file.
                If the leadership don't publicise something, and instead spend their efforts disparaging the source, the rank and file that follow that leadership won't know about it (and hence won't understand it) and won't want to.

Comment

If the leadership don't publicise something, and instead spend their efforts disparaging the source, the rank and file that follow that leadership won't know about it (and hence won't understand it) and won't want to.
                  I've met many a "member" of YEC who were quite shocked to see the other side of what the leaders presented.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    I believe in the contemporary world wide spread access to knowledge, and the ability to comprehend science as science is almost all humans are responsible regardless of whether they are leaders (goats) or the followers (sheep). Humans tend to put a 'Sense of Belonging,' and the desire to belong that results in a strong emotional commitment belief system, and reject the rational approach to knowledge.
                    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Several:

No, I was just asking in a general manner. :)

Comment

Are we discussing sequence specificity, or enzyme specificity?
                        By the way, by ''sequence specificity'' you mean what? DNA specificity?

Comment

By the way, by ''sequence specificity'' you mean what? DNA specificity?
                          A specific sequence of DNA or RNA

Comment

• Oh, I see.

Comment