Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

The problem and myths of Calcium, diet and suppliments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The problem and myths of Calcium, diet and suppliments

One of the greatest misuses of science is in food science in large part due to industry misinformation promoting their own economic interests. Our excessive intake of dairy products, too much animal protein combined with Calcium supplements that cause a lot of health problems particularly among women, which can be easily avoided. I will follow up with sources on this problem in the next posts. I am in a hurry and have to go out now, and just wanted to get this thread started.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

The comparison between non-dairy and dairy cultures reveals some interesting facts about the metabolism of Calcium and the relationship to osteporosis.

Source: http://www.rocketswag.com/retirement/senior-health/elderly-disease/osteoporosis/Osteoporosis-In-Non-Dairy-Cultures.html

Osteoporosis In Non Dairy Cultures

In non-dairy culture osteoporosis is very rare, it virtually does not exist. Whereas in dairy consuming cultures osteoporosis is very common. Calcium is essential for maintaining healthy and strong bones. Dairy products like milk and foods made from milk are most common source of calcium.

According to new research conducted at the Harvard University for 12 long years, which involve 78,000, nurses, demonstrated clearly that the more dairy products you consume, the higher rate of bone fracture and fragile bones you will experience. In fact, in countries where non-dairy culture is prevalent the calcium levels in their diet are found to be lowest, and consequently bone diseases and bone fracture rates are also the lowest.

Dairy products are rich in protein and low in phosphorous this leads to an increase urinary excretion of calcium. So the calcium you get from milk and milk related products passes away from your urine. There are several theories suggesting that our artificially treated milk and other dairy products are not digested the way it should be. Dairy products are generally acidic in nature. These leads to shift in your body’s pH which has to be in balanced condition. Your body does this by extracting calcium from your skeleton. As it is clear from the facts that dairy products will actually lead to increase risk of osteoporosis.

If you feel that you need more calcium than your needs then take calcium supplements in your diet or try to eat more leafy vegetables like spinach and broccoli or fruits such as oranges, kale, collard greens, bok choy or coconut water. Milk and milk products are not the only sources of calcium. Other calcium rich foods that are low in saturated fat include calcium treated tofu and cooked dried beans. Foods that are fortified with added calcium, such as soy milk, juices, cereals and pasta are also excellent sources of calcium.

© Copyright Original Source

I know to some evolution is a bad word, but humans evolved without dairy products other than natural human milk. Lactose intolerance is the norm in humanity. About 12,000 years ago, beginning in Turkey, the dairy cultures across Europe Turkey and Eurasia developed a gene that allowed humans to drink milk all their lives. The non-dairy cultures of the world remained dominantly lactose intolerant to some degree, later developed. These other cultures developed dairy later and to a lesser degree, and fermented there milk product to remove lactose.

Also, as agriculture and dairy cultures developed human health deteriorated:

Source: http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/human_evolution/2012/10/evolution_of_lactose_tolerance_why_do_humans_keep_drinking_milk.html

There are no written records from the period when humans invented agriculture, but if there were, they would tell a tale of woe. Agriculture, in Jared Diamond's phrase, was the “worst mistake in human history.” The previous system of nourishment—hunting and gathering—had all but guaranteed a healthy diet, as it was defined by variety. But it made us a rootless species of nomads. Agriculture offered stability. It also transformed nature into a machine for cranking out human beings, though there was a cost. Once humans began to rely on the few crops that we knew how to grow reliably, our collective health collapsed. The remains of the first Neolithic farmers show clear signs of dramatic tooth decay, anemia, and low bone-density. Average height dropped by about 5 inches, while infant mortality rose. Diseases of deficiency like scurvy, rickets, beriberi, and pellagra were serious problems that would have been totally perplexing. We are still reeling from the change: Heart disease, diabetes, alcoholism, celiac disease, and perhaps even acne are direct results of the switch to agriculture.

© Copyright Original Source

Last edited by shunyadragon; 05-14-2017, 03:24 PM.
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

demonstrated clearly that the more dairy products you consume, the higher rate of bone fracture and fragile bones you will experience.
      I have not had a high-dairy diet since I was probably 10.

Was diagnosed with osteoporosis about 5 years ago.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
        I have not had a high-dairy diet since I was probably 10.

Was diagnosed with osteoporosis about 5 years ago.
        One case anecdote does not count as evidence.

Not a high dairy diet? How much dairy products did you consume on average since you were ten?

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
          One case anecdote does not count as evidence.

Not a high dairy diet? How much dairy products did you consume on average since you were ten?
          Per day? Maybe one glass of milk, and not as much as that since my late teens. I rarely eat cheese, nor milk, nor yogurt, although since my diagnosis I have upped my dairy, mostly with yogurt. Now I drink almond milk instead of dairy. Gave up on the yogurt even several months ago.

I am not lactose intolerance, just don't like dairy.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I drink milk every day, put cheese on a bunch of stuff & butter my bread.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Well, I do use a little cream in my coffee, and I do use butter, but not in significant amounts to add to my dairy calcium intake.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                One of the greatest misuses of science is in food science in large part due to industry misinformation promoting their own economic interests. Our excessive intake of dairy products, too much animal protein combined with Calcium supplements that cause a lot of health problems particularly among women, which can be easily avoided. I will follow up with sources on this problem in the next posts. I am in a hurry and have to go out now, and just wanted to get this thread started.
                *emphasis mine

Just asking for clarification here because I'm not sure I am following this correctly. Were the articles you posted supports for this part of the argument or are you arguing that taking calcium supplements also causes health problems?
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  I drink milk every day, put cheese on a bunch of stuff & butter my bread.
                  Perhaps that's why you are like you are.

(but, yeah, me too --- long ago abandoned 'chemical butter' for the real thing.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                    *emphasis mine

Just asking for clarification here because I'm not sure I am following this correctly. Were the articles you posted supports for this part of the argument or are you arguing that taking calcium supplements also causes health problems?
                    And the article (at least the part quoted) is not at all clear or straight forward. What exactly is the argument?
                    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

)

I left that out in Post #9.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        Perhaps that's why you are like you are.
                        Eating a lot of dairy products makes me the epitome of ness? Yeah, I guess it is possible.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Americans have an epidemic lack of vitamin D.

That alone can be the cause of weak bones since Vitamin D is essential for Calcium to work in making new bone.

I doubt it has to do with dairy.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            Americans have an epidemic lack of vitamin D.

That alone can be the cause of weak bones since Vitamin D is essential for Calcium to work in making new bone.

I doubt it has to do with dairy.
                            I had to start taking D supplements when I was diagnosed and had to double them 2 years ago.

Comment

I am still waiting for a clear concise expression of the actual argument.
                              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X