Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The problem and myths of Calcium, diet and suppliments

Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Vitamin D deficiency is most common among couch potato closet and cave dwellers in today's culture. Naturally Vitamin D is made in the skin from exposure to the sun.
    That is such an insulting statement.

I avoid the sun because I had several bad burns as a child and went through treatment for pre-cancerous skin issues several years ago. I've worn sunscreen when I'm outside for 40 years.

how dare you suggest that people who avoid the sun are couch potatoes and live in closets and caves?

I don't know what you are trying to point out in this thread, Frank, other than to push some sort of vegan lifestyle, so I'm out of here.

I expressed my own situation which is different from the study in your op, so there is nothing more for me to say.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by mossrose View Post
    That is such an insulting statement.

I avoid the sun because I had several bad burns as a child and went through treatment for pre-cancerous skin issues several years ago. I've worn sunscreen when I'm outside for 40 years.

how dare you suggest that people who avoid the sun are couch potatoes and live in closets and caves?

I don't know what you are trying to point out in this thread, Frank, other than to push some sort of vegan lifestyle, so I'm out of here.

I expressed my own situation which is different from the study in your op, so there is nothing more for me to say.
    Your taking personal my statements of a very real problem in western society that developed over the centuries. My statements are of course not a generalization that fits all people, and like yourself there are people who do not fit this unfortunate cultural problem.

Nonetheless, it is a valid description of the health problem of the prevailing diet and life style of American culture.

If you have read my posts, I never advocated a vegan diet and life style, in fact I consider the vegan diet misguided, unscientific, and unhealthy. I have only advocated a reduced dairy and animal protein, eliminate high glycemic carbs, eliminate Calcium supplements, and increase vegetables in our diet. Take an observant stroll through a supermarket some time, and you will find that 70% or more of the products are dominated by high glycemic carb content. Industry promotes it because it is the cheapest food, highest profit margin, and by the way addictive. It is the most popular legal cocaine drug of choice in America. Vitamin and supplement department most often have 50 or types of Calcium supplements.
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 05-16-2017 at 04:09 PM.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    Your taking personal my statements of a very real problem in western society that developed over the centuries. My statements are of course not a generalization that fits all people, and like yourself there are people who do not fit this unfortunate cultural problem.

Nonetheless, it is a valid description of the health problem of the prevailing diet and life style of American culture.

If you have read my posts, I never advocated a vegan diet and life style, in fact I consider the vegan diet misguided, unscientific, and unhealthy. I have only advocated a reduced dairy, animal protein, high glycemic carbs, eleminate Calcium suppliments, and increased vegetables in our diet. Take stroll through a supermarket some time, and you will find that 70% or more of the products are dominated by high glycemic carb content. Industry promotes it because it is the cheapest food, and by the way addictive.
    My doctor told me to eat more meat and dairy (specifically yogurt)

I think I will listen to him.

4. Amen Jedidiah, mossrose, Chrawnus amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    My doctor told me to eat more meat and dairy (specifically yogurt)

I think I will listen to him.
    That is your choice. I believe my research sources are valid, and there will be more good references.

As far as dairy products go fermented dairy is the best choice.
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    That is your choice. I believe my research sources are valid, and there will be more good references.

As far as dairy products go fermented dairy is the best choice.
    when it comes down to a molecular level, calcium is calcium no matter what the source.

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    when it comes down to a molecular level, calcium is calcium no matter what the source.
    True as the sky is Carolina blue on a clear 4th of July at noon, except there are about 12 isotopes of Calcium, but not the issue concerning problems of Calcium metabolism in humans.
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 05-16-2017 at 05:58 PM.

Frank

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    True as the sky is Carolina blue on a clear 4th of July at noon, except there are about 12 isotopes of Calcium, but not the issue concerning problems of Calcium metabolism in humans.
    well I would think that mammal milk would contain the correct type of calcium for mammals to build bones with, since that is the purpose of having calcium in milk in the first place. Whereas, calcium in plants is made for plants to use.

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    well I would think that mammal milk would contain the correct type of calcium for mammals to build bones with, since that is the purpose of having calcium in milk in the first place. Whereas, calcium in plants is made for plants to use.
    Huh!?!?!?! No!

Frank

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Huh!?!?!?! No!
    You were the one going on about how not all calcium is the same. So if there are various kinds of calcium, I would rather ingest calcium that is evolutionarily designed to build bones in mammals: milk.

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Calcium is calcium, but various forms are more easily absorbed by the body. Calcium that's naturally a part of food is generally easier to absorb than that in a supplement.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist