Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Miss USA: Health Care Is a Privilege, Not a Right...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miss USA: Health Care Is a Privilege, Not a Right...

Of course now she is getting all kinds of grief. But where on earth does this idea of health care being a "right" come from? Certainly not the Constitution.

Miss USA Says Health Care Is a Privilege, Not a Right

Newly crowned Miss USA Kara McCullough raised the ire of the Internet with her answer to a question about health care during Sunday night’s pageant.

The 25-year-old former Miss District of Columbia, a physical scientist at the United States Nuclear Regulatory Commission, according to CNN, was asked during the Las Vegas pageant’s question-and-answer section if “affordable health care for all U.S. citizens is a right or a privilege.”

Her reply is what sent people to social media. “I’m definitely going to say it’s a privilege,” she said. “As a government employee, I am granted health care, and I see firsthand that for one to have health care, you have to have jobs.”

“So therefore, we need to continue to cultivate this environment that we’re given the opportunity to have health care as well as jobs to all American citizens worldwide,” she continued.

https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/miss-us...152055939.html
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Finally!
    I've been waiting for Miss America to weigh in on this thing.
    Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Is the internet a right or a privilege?

Comment

If the "right" to healthcare means the state provides, then why doesn't the right to bear arms mean the state has to buy me guns?
        I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
          If the "right" to healthcare means the state provides, then why doesn't the right to bear arms mean the state has to buy me guns?
          Good point. I would like them to send me a 9MM Glock and an AR15.

Comment

I'm good with it being a right. If we can take care of people, we ought to. It's kind of a de facto right at this point, since it's not like the hospital's gonna turn you away from the emergency room if you show up with a bleeder. The point for me is that if it's a right, then is it one that we should be bankrupted for enjoying.

fwiw,
            guacamole
            "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
            Hear my cry, hear my shout,
            Save me, save me"

Comment

Originally posted by guacamole View Post
              I'm good with it being a right. If we can take care of people, we ought to. It's kind of a de facto right at this point, since it's not like the hospital's gonna turn you away from the emergency room if you show up with a bleeder. The point for me is that if it's a right, then is it one that we should be bankrupted for enjoying.

fwiw,
              guacamole
              You are right! Doctors and hospitals should not charge money to heal people. That is holding lives hostage for greed. They should be forced to heal people for free and be thankful for the opportunity! After all, they SAY they went into healthcare to help people, right? Why should they get rich doing it? Pure greed.

css.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                Good point. I would like them to send me a 9MM Glock and an AR15.
                I could use a Armalite AR-50. A neighbor down the street has been playing his music real loud lately.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  You are right! Doctors and hospitals should not charge money to heal people. That is holding lives hostage for greed. They should be forced to heal people for free and be thankful for the opportunity! After all, they SAY they went into healthcare to help people, right? Why should they get rich doing it? Pure greed.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22349[/ATTACH]
                  They can get rich doin' it all they want. All I'm arguing is that their "greed," if that's what it is (or ambition, or professional pride, or whatnot), shouldn't damn people to bankruptcy if they can't afford medical treatment. That's the point of universal coverage. There's a way to take care of everyone, even the ambitious and financially motivated.

fwiw,
                  g-unit.
                  Save me, save me"

Comment

Why should health care be free over any other service?
                    People need food, water, and shelter to live so maybe all those should be provided by the government too?
                    Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
                      People need food, water, and shelter to live so maybe all those should be provided by the government too?
                      At least not in Flint.
                      Save me, save me"

Comment

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
                        That's actually not a bad idea. Guaranteeing some property for everybody would go a long way towards fixing economic issues and would be part of my economic revamp package if I was running for president.
                        "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                          Of course now she is getting all kinds of grief. But where on earth does this idea of health care being a "right" come from?
                          If healthcare is a right then in the event of a doctor shortage, the government is obligated to force people to become doctors in order to not deprive people of their rights.

Can a liberal explain this to me?
                          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by guacamole View Post
                            They can get rich doin' it all they want. All I'm arguing is that their "greed," if that's what it is (or ambition, or professional pride, or whatnot), shouldn't damn people to bankruptcy if they can't afford medical treatment. That's the point of universal coverage. There's a way to take care of everyone, even the ambitious and financially motivated.

fwiw,
                            g-unit.
                            Well to make healthcare a right, it would have to be paid for by the government. Why should we have to pay extra so doctors can have Ferrari's if the government is going to foot the bill through our taxes? We should maximize our tax dollars by minimizing their salaries. If we go to a single payer system, then hospitals and doctors will become federal employees. I don't see my mail man driving a Ferrari. Why should my doctor?

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                              Of course now she is getting all kinds of grief. But where on earth does this idea of health care being a "right" come from? Certainly not the Constitution.
                              Any country needs to consider whether it is economically beneficial that its citizens are healthy. It’s a no brainer really. After that it is just a matter of how to provide and pay for a basic level of healthcare for all citizens.
                              “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                              “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                              “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment