Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Miss USA: Health Care Is a Privilege, Not a Right...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
    No, it wouldn't. Nothing about being totalitarian means defining right and wrong. Governments can only ever define allowed and not allowed. That's the full extent of their power.
    And ultimately, that is the definition of right and wrong.
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

There are like half a dozen threads that derailed to talking about morality going already.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
        I honestly don't know how seriously to take you. This question seems super basic, and it's not one you should need answered.
        Carrikature that is not an answer. If a King defines rape as wrong, and institutes a law against it, then that is, for all intents and purposes, the government defining wrong. Instead of just making assertions why not answer the question - who/what defines right and wrong?
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
          Don't waste your time with him, he's impossible.
          Are you channeling my mother?
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            So do we end up paying through the nose to keep doctors rich and happy or do we have a shortage of doctors and lousy healthcare?
            I prefer the third option: Because there are government-imposed limits to supply, by removing those there can be an increased supply, at lower prices. (That also happens to have been the general trend in industries that are more free-market: increasing supplies at falling prices.)

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
              Carrikature that is not an answer. If a King defines rape as wrong, and institutes a law against it, then that is, for all intents and purposes, the government defining wrong. Instead of just making assertions why not answer the question - who/what defines right and wrong?
              That king is defining 'allowed'. He is not defining 'wrong' on any level, at all, period. No government has that ability. Might does NOT make right, it merely enforces its will. This is a really, really basic concept. You already know these things, too, hence your usage of 'for all intents and purposes'. You know the king isn't actually defining wrong. Stop insisting otherwise.
              I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Joel View Post
                I prefer the third option: Because there are government-imposed limits to supply, by removing those there can be an increased supply, at lower prices. (That also happens to have been the general trend in industries that are more free-market: increasing supplies at falling prices.)
                Uh...

what 'government-imposed limits'?
                I'm not here anymore.

Comment

There are like half a dozen threads that derailed to talking about morality going already.
                  It usually does once seer gets involved.
                  I'm not here anymore.

Comment

I think some philosophical work needs to be done that addresses at what point the number of threads about morality becomes immoral.
                    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

• And the left forces her to backpedal:

"But I would like to just take this moment to truly just clarify, because I am a woman, I'm gonna own what I said," she said. "I am privileged to have health care, and I do believe it should be a right​. I hope and pray moving forward that health care is a right for all, worldwide."

Mahan then explained to the audience on her behalf that it was difficult to address such a complex topic in just a 30-second response during the competition. He then asked McCullough again if she would like to change anything she said, to which she reiterated that she is "privileged" to have health care, adding, "Having a job, I have to look at health care like it is a privilege."
                      That's what
                      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                        That king is defining 'allowed'. He is not defining 'wrong' on any level, at all, period. No government has that ability. Might does NOT make right, it merely enforces its will. This is a really, really basic concept. You already know these things, too, hence your usage of 'for all intents and purposes'. You know the king isn't actually defining wrong. Stop insisting otherwise.

No Carrikature, this is not as simple as you suggest that is why you keep avoiding my question - then who/what does define right or wrong? Why can't you give an honest and straight answer?

Comment

I've discussed the subject at length and you are wrong. Might makes right is the foundation of morality. Anything else is just assertion without substantiation. I agree that it's a basic concept, but it's a basic concept that is fundamentally wrong and irrational despite its widespread adoption. People aren't comfortable with the idea because they've had this "basic concept" nailed into their head and repeatedly reinforced, cult-like, from childhood to adulthood, but that doesn't make it correct.
                          "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

It usually does once seer gets involved.
                            Did I start this moral line of questioning? No it was you and guacamole.
                            Last edited by seer; 05-17-2017, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Uh...

what 'government-imposed limits'?
                              You can't work as a doctor without an expensive, lengthy process that is itself bottlenecked by limited number of training slots set by the higher education cartel.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                                You can't work as a doctor without an expensive, lengthy process that is itself bottlenecked by limited number of training slots set by the higher education cartel.
                                +1 MG points for the use of the word 'cartel'.
                                Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment