Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Here there be dragons.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here there be dragons.

nodosaur-fossil-canadian-mine-face.adapt.1900.1.jpg
    NEWLY UNVEILED DINOSAUR FOSSIL IS BEST PRESERVED OF ITS KIND
    On the afternoon of March 21, 2011, a heavy-equipment operator named Shawn Funk was carving his way through the earth, unaware that he would soon meet a dragon.

The remarkable fossil is a newfound species (and genus) of nodosaur, a type of ankylosaur often overshadowed by its cereal box–famous cousins in the subgroup Ankylosauridae. Unlike ankylosaurs, nodosaurs had no shin-splitting tail clubs, but they too wielded thorny armor to deter predators. As it lumbered across the landscape between 110 million and 112 million years ago, almost midway through the Cretaceous period, the 18-foot-long, nearly 3,000-pound behemoth was the rhinoceros of its day, a grumpy herbivore that largely kept to itself. And if something did come calling—perhaps the fearsome Acrocanthosaurus—the nodosaur had just the trick: two 20-inch-long spikes jutting out of its shoulders like a misplaced pair of bull’s horns.

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/ma...t&sf78249449=1

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]22346[/ATTACH]
    NEWLY UNVEILED DINOSAUR FOSSIL IS BEST PRESERVED OF ITS KIND
    On the afternoon of March 21, 2011, a heavy-equipment operator named Shawn Funk was carving his way through the earth, unaware that he would soon meet a dragon.

The remarkable fossil is a newfound species (and genus) of nodosaur, a type of ankylosaur often overshadowed by its cereal box–famous cousins in the subgroup Ankylosauridae. Unlike ankylosaurs, nodosaurs had no shin-splitting tail clubs, but they too wielded thorny armor to deter predators. As it lumbered across the landscape between 110 million and 112 million years ago, almost midway through the Cretaceous period, the 18-foot-long, nearly 3,000-pound behemoth was the rhinoceros of its day, a grumpy herbivore that largely kept to itself. And if something did come calling—perhaps the fearsome Acrocanthosaurus—the nodosaur had just the trick: two 20-inch-long spikes jutting out of its shoulders like a misplaced pair of bull’s horns.

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/ma...t&sf78249449=1
    There has been quite a bit of buzz about the Suncor nodosaur for the last few months prior to its official unveiling including a bit on it in an episode in a YouTube series called Dino Trails posted a couple months ago (unfortunately I don't remember which episode it was ). I've been waiting for the actual paper describing the find rather than just the article in National Geographic.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      There has been quite a bit of buzz about the Suncor nodosaur for the last few months prior to its official unveiling including a bit on it in an episode in a YouTube series called Dino Trails posted a couple months ago (unfortunately I don't remember which episode it was ). I've been waiting for the actual paper describing the find rather than just the article in National Geographic.
      Is it time for a new avatar for you?

Comment

Found in Canada, eh? As if I needed another reason to be proud of my homeland.
        "When the Western world accepted Christianity, Caesar conquered; and the received text of Western theology was edited by his lawyers…. The brief Galilean vision of humility flickered throughout the ages, uncertainly…. But the deeper idolatry, of the fashioning of God in the image of the Egyptian, Persian, and Roman imperial rulers, was retained. The Church gave unto God the attributes which belonged exclusively to Caesar."

— Alfred North Whitehead

Comment

Originally posted by Duragizer View Post
          Found in Canada, eh? As if I needed another reason to be proud of my homeland.
          It was mossy's first kitty.

Comment

Roars in maple syrup.
            sigpic

Comment

It was mossy's first kitty.
              Back in the day when she had no seals to club and had to settle for a few Castorocauda

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by TheWall View Post
                Roars in maple syrup.
                I dunno. Looks more like a poutine-eater to me.
                "When the Western world accepted Christianity, Caesar conquered; and the received text of Western theology was edited by his lawyers…. The brief Galilean vision of humility flickered throughout the ages, uncertainly…. But the deeper idolatry, of the fashioning of God in the image of the Egyptian, Persian, and Roman imperial rulers, was retained. The Church gave unto God the attributes which belonged exclusively to Caesar."

— Alfred North Whitehead

Comment

How fast does fossilization have to occur in order to fossilize skin and brain tissue, before they decay?

Comment

Originally posted by Joel View Post
                    How fast does fossilization have to occur in order to fossilize skin and brain tissue, before they decay?
                    It really depends on conditions.

For instance, if the area that the carcass washed into were anoxic waters then there will be an absence of not only scavengers but the microbes that start the decaying process. This can radically slow the rate of deterioration allowing for an organism to be slowly covered, including exposed soft parts, and improve the odds of being fossilized.

Comment

I think you guys are missing the shocking truth here:

Dinosaurs were made out of stone.

Comment

fossils.jpg

Comment

Today life is carbon-based. but millions of years ago life was all silicon-based. That is why we find stone plants and animals everywhere

Comment

Today life is carbon-based. but millions of years ago life was all silicon-based. That is why we find stone plants and animals everywhere
                            Separated at birth?

Well-Preserved-Dinosaur-Mummy-of-Nodosaur-Discovered-in-Alberta-Mine.jpgfc2b1d5ecb90e9337116dfaf45be03aca91c44af.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by HMS_Beagle View Post
                              Separated at birth?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22442[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]22443[/ATTACH]
                              Damn it Jim. I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer.

Comment