Announcement

Collapse

World History 201 Guidelines

Welcome to World History 201.

Find out if Caesar crossed the Rubicon or threw a dollar across it.

This is the forum where world history, in general, can be discussed. Since the WH201, like the other fora in the World History department, is not limited to participation along lines of theology, all may post here.

Please keep the Campus Decorum in mind when posting here--while 'belief' restrictions are not in place, common decency is.

The Tweb rules are in force . . . we're watching you.
Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Noah: Is this a good movie? Is it good ancient history?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's an excellent review of the movie Noah by Jack Collins, an young expert on the history of interpretation of the Watchers from the Book of Enoch in Jewish and early Christian traditions:

http://www.worthlessmysteries.com/20...d-midrash.html
    βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
    ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

• Thanks!
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by OingoBoingo View Post
        Chattaway replies to Mattson's reply to Handel here. I really think that Mattson's grasping at straws on the whole Gnostic issue, and a number of reviewers (including Christians like Chattaway) are attempting to set the record straight. You're right that a shed snakeskin doesn't seem like very effective garment, but as Chattaway points out by way of Dr. Avivah Zornberg:

Source: http://rabbib.com/media/writings/RabbiB-ClothesHumanExistence.pdf

The problem that the midrash intends to resolve is the origin of the first clothes. Described as “coats of skin,” they seem to depend on death: some animal has been killed and flayed to make these first human garments. Since death has not yet entered the world, the midrash solves the problem with the figure of the sloughed skin of the serpent. That is, the skin foreshadows death, represents the serpent’s consciousness of death-in-life. In effect, the facade of the serpent goes to make dignified coverings for human beings. The paradox is striking: the serpent, all deception, representation, plausible language, verbal display, is reconstructed into an attribute of human dignity.

© Copyright Original Source

How had death not yet entered the world? The order in Genesis 3 is this: They ate the fruit, and then God cursed the man, the woman, the serpent, and the ground. And then God made them garments of skin. So the killing would have been after death entered the world. Between Mattson, Godawa, and Chattaway, I find the former two more persuasive.

Comment

• Originally posted by RBerman View Post
          How had death not yet entered the world? The order in Genesis 3 is this: They ate the fruit, and then God cursed the man, the woman, the serpent, and the ground. And then God made them garments of skin. So the killing would have been after death entered the world. Between Mattson, Godawa, and Chattaway, I find the former two more persuasive.
          One could easily say that death had not fully entered the world until Cain killed Abel. But one shouldn't be too literal with midrash; it sometimes defies logic to teach another point.

Comment

• Originally posted by robrecht View Post
            One could easily say that death had not fully entered the world until Cain killed Abel. But one shouldn't be too literal with midrash; it sometimes defies logic to teach another point.
            That's why I prefer to stick with the Bible, which does not say that death had not fully entered the world until Cain killed Abel. For all we know, many people had already died by that time, to say nothing of animals.

Comment

• Originally posted by RBerman View Post
              That's why I prefer to stick with the Bible, which does not say that death had not fully entered the world until Cain killed Abel. For all we know, many people had already died by that time, to say nothing of animals.
              As I've said a few times already, people who only want to see a movie based solely on the Biblical account of Noah should not see this movie.

Comment

• Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                OK, I've finally gotten around to looking up some of the references that I was looking for. With respect to the supposedly gnostic Kabbalah theme of Adam and Eve being luminescent spirits. This is a much older motif that is found in Jewish/Christian inter-testamental literature. The earliest occurrence I've been able to track down is actually a midrashic interpretation supposedly based on an aurally indistinguishable textual variant on Gen 3,21 attributed in the Great Midrash on Genesis to a 1st century Torah scroll owned by the great scribe, Rabbi Meir. He says that that a single (silent) letter of the text was different, instead of a silent ayin (ע), the scroll he speaks of had a silent aleph (א). Thus:

ויעש יהוה אלהים לאדם ולאשתו כתנות עור וילבשם
                ויעש יהוה אלהים לאדם ולאשתו כתנות אור וילבשם

Though the text would sound exactly the same (in some dialects, including modern Hebrew), the change in letter changes the meaning of 'skin' to 'light':

And the Lord God made for Adam and his woman tunics of skin [light] and he clothed them.

This was later understood to be their original clothing of glory prior to their disobedience, and hence we find intertestamental texts such as 3 Baruch 4,16 (cf also Ephraim the Syrian) speaking of Adam being condemned on account of the tree incident and being stripped (literally 'made naked') of the glory of God (τῆς δόξης θεοῦ ἐγυμνώθη)
                http://ocp.tyndale.ca/3-greek-apocalypse-of-baruch#4-4

This, like much of the celestial Adamic imagery, has messianic implications, ie, the Messiah as the second Adam. It is said in the Pesikta de Rav Kahana that ‘The robes with which God will clothe the Messiah will shine from one end of the world to the other and the Jews will use its light and remark on his majestic clothing.’ Hints of this is already seen both in Q 17,24 (as the lightning flashes and lights up the sky from one side to the other, so will the Son of Man be in his day) and in the synoptic Transfiguration narratives. And the ‘garment of immortality’ (ἔνδυμα τῆς ἀθανασίας), Hist Rech 12,3) that was originally Adam’s prior to the Fall, will once again be ours at the resurrection according to Paul (ἐνδύσασθαι ἀθανασίαν, 1 Cor 15,53-54).
                http://ocp.tyndale.ca/history-of-the-rechabites#12-12

We see this garment of glory in all the Aramaic Targumim (free midrashic translations from the Hebrew) of Gen 3,21, but in Aramaic the word ‘glory’ does not imply light. Thus it is in this linguistic tradition that we find the other midrashic interpretation of this verse that features more prominently in the movie Noah....
                I came across an earlier source for this tradition of the glory of Adam (כבוד אדם) in 1QH 4,27, which is part of a thanksgiving psalm authored by or modeled upon the Teacher of Righteousness, speaking of how the forgiveness of sins restores the glory of Adam. The manuscript itself is dated paleographically to the end of the first century BCE or the first century CE.

Comment

• Um, wait - God didn't clothe Adam and Eve until after they had eaten from the Tree - how can 'clothing of light' refer to pre-Fall?

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                    Um, wait - God didn't clothe Adam and Eve until after they had eaten from the Tree - how can 'clothing of light' refer to pre-Fall?

That came later: This was later understood to be their original clothing of glory prior to their disobedience, and hence we find intertestamental texts such as 3 Baruch 4,16 (cf also Ephraim the Syrian) speaking of Adam being condemned on account of the tree incident and being stripped (literally 'made naked') of the glory of God (τῆς δόξης θεοῦ ἐγυμνώθη)
                    http://ocp.tyndale.ca/3-greek-apocalypse-of-baruch#4-4

Comment

• O-kay...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• I watched a little bit of Noah again last night on Netflix. In Noah's retelling of Genesis 1, the creation of man, the retelling of Genesis 1,26, occurs at 1:26, ie, 1 hour and 26 minutes into the movie. Funny.
                        Last edited by robrecht; 08-01-2015, 01:31 AM.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X