Announcement

Collapse

World History 201 Guidelines

Welcome to World History 201.

Find out if Caesar crossed the Rubicon or threw a dollar across it.

This is the forum where world history, in general, can be discussed. Since the WH201, like the other fora in the World History department, is not limited to participation along lines of theology, all may post here.

Please keep the Campus Decorum in mind when posting here--while 'belief' restrictions are not in place, common decency is.

The Tweb rules are in force . . . we're watching you.
Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Noah: Is this a good movie? Is it good ancient history?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
    I tried so hard to wrap my head around The Fountain. I gave up. I didn't know it was him behind it. That explains a lot.
    The Fountain is a great example of an apparently convoluted mess from which critics try to glean some brilliant and profound insights, expending enormous efforts in the process, where I'm pretty sure it was...just a convoluted mess.
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Not planning to see it. Beck said he and his friends were laughing through parts of it (they were invited to a screening so he could review the movie - not an auspicious start) and he didn't recommend it.

Spoiler alert: http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014...nsaw-massacre/
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

The musician? (clicks on link) Oh. That Beck. :)

Comment

Originally posted by OingoBoingo View Post
          Its directed by Darren Aronofsky so its no surprise that its not a Biblical film per se. Anyone who's seen any of his work should know what they're getting into (Pi, Requiem for a Dream, The Fountain, The Wrestler, Black Swan). He makes controversial art films for mainstream audiences.
          Yep. This is what I have been saying. Requiem for a Dream is about as far from a Christian film as it gets. I'm not sure why anybody is surprised here.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
            Yep. This is what I have been saying. Requiem for a Dream is about as far from a Christian film as it gets. I'm not sure why anybody is surprised here.
            What interests me is the contrast in the Christian responses to this movie. I've really only seen two responses from the Christian camp: Beck's response, and robrecht's response. There hasn't seemed to be much middle ground, and it's fascinating to me how split the opinions on it are.

But I've read enough to recharge my skepticism of this movie, and I don't know if I'll be seeing it or not. (I see very few movies in the theater anyway, so this one won't be getting any special avoidance treatment or anything. I just don't usually care enough to actually spend money to see the things.)
            I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Didn't see the movie yet, but if they were going to deviate from the bible so much (based on the reviews I've heard), it would have been cool to follow a premise similar to the book of Enoch. Would have made for a pretty cool action fantasy: supernatural beings assigned to watch over the human race by the Supreme One that created the universe, violate their protocol, genetically modify the human race to produce superhuman hybrids that are ruthless and who design a plan to enslave mankind for their own pleasure. Supreme One then floods the earth to wipe out the hybrids and the genetic lines they corrupted. Now that's a 21st century plotline!

On another note, I just recently saw Man of Steel and that was outstanding. Surprised, being how sucky movies have become of late.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                What interests me is the contrast in the Christian responses to this movie. I've really only seen two responses from the Christian camp: Beck's response, and robrecht's response. There hasn't seemed to be much middle ground, and it's fascinating to me how split the opinions on it are.
                Well, if we want to be pedantic, Beck is a Mormon.
                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                  Didn't see the movie yet, but if they were going to deviate from the bible so much (based on the reviews I've heard), it would have been cool to follow a premise similar to the book of Enoch. Would have made for a pretty cool action fantasy: supernatural beings assigned to watch over the human race by the Supreme One that created the universe, violate their protocol, genetically modify the human race to produce superhuman hybrids that are ruthless and who design a plan to enslave mankind for their own pleasure. Supreme One then floods the earth to wipe out the hybrids and the genetic lines they corrupted. Now that's a 21st century plotline!

On another note, I just recently saw Man of Steel and that was outstanding. Surprised, being how sucky movies have become of late.
                  One Bible scholar I'm friends with on Facebook posted something to the effect of "don't bring your Bible to follow along, but brush up on 1 Enoch". I don't know to what extent it was followed though.

Comment

*Spoiler Alert*

Seriously, there are rock monsters in 1 Enoch?
                    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

And they were supposedly the good guys.

Comment

The movie does not directly contradict the Bible but in a few minimal matters, but adds a lot (a lot a lot) of themes from elsewhere in the Bible, from a modern and postmodern interpretive perspectives, and, yes, from the Book of Enoch, as I noted earlier. If you like such reinterpretations, you may indeed like this movie. I went back and read the Hebrew text after seeing this movie and had to admit that what some are seeing as extreme license would actually be perfectly acceptable from a Jewish midrashic perspective. (Warning: Christian fundamentalists and modernists do not generally appreciate a Jewish midrashic perspective on the Bible.). I will not yet speak about the rock monsters. ;)
                        βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
                        ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

No fair!

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                            No fair!

Careful. Tubal Cain didn't think God was fair, and look what happened to him!

Comment

I'm reasonably sure you're not God.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                                I'm reasonably sure you're not God.
                                I'm absolutely sure that I'm not God, but, of course, I never said that I was. Just commenting on your complaint of unfairness, which does indeed rise to the throne of God ...

... only to be laughed at! ;)

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X